Bands that evolve greatly

The Greys said:
Do I bash Agalloch because they're 3 cds into their carrer and their last two cds are the same thing, the 3rd not being as good the previous ?. A band so new. What's with that

Their last two are the same thing? What?

I suggest you go listen to "The Mantle" and "Ashes Against The Grain" again.

The Mantle was far more folky, and much more intricate whereas AATG was rockier, less folky, and quite abit more simple.

Diabolical Masquerade evolved alot through their short run and all for the better, the first release being a quite above average Symph. BM album, their second being the same but with some power metal influence, the third an Avant-garde BM release, and the last a more Avant-garde/Prog. album with black metal influence.

Ashes Against the Grain could be mistaken for a completely different band half the time, if it weren't for the distinctive vocals, methinks.

For better or worse, BEHEMOTH is a great exampel of a band which has evolved a lot throughout their existence, they started out as grim black metal and now its a real death/black hybrid, with great lyrics as well.

I love 'em, but also know a few people who like the old behemoth a lot better.

Ashes Against the Grain could be mistaken for a completely different band half the time, if it weren't for the distinctive vocals, methinks.

Yeah, pretty much. The atmosphere it gives off is not that of the past two Agalloch albums, and I'm glad it isn't the same. Sure, it isn't as good as the past two, but evolution is essential.

EDIT: Behemoth FAR from positively evolved.

I don't get all this "Ashes doesn't stand up to their earlier albums". It's not even fucking out yet, and people have had a whole 2-3 weeks to absorb a fucking leak. Give it time you fucks.

It not being actually released doesn't mean shit in all reality. It came out, via a leak, people've listened to it.

Sure the time isn't that long for people to absorb it, and sure I understand it will grow on people, especially since it took me a year to appreciate The Mantle, but at this point and time it isn't better.

I found it boring.

I don't even like the bands cleans so once they come in I change songs.

Yeah.

This has only happen to me on two occasions.

1. Megadeth
2. Agalloch

I enjoy scattered parts in agalloch musically.

Crimson Velvet said:
"Ghost Reveries". Actually, I'd go as far as saying that he sounds like a bloody pop singer now!

I think it's great. The next album could be a clean heavy album for all anyone knows.

The new amorphis singer sounds like a pop singer along with liv kristine. It's just all three are less typical than pop singers on TV. Katonia's singer has sounded like a pop singer for awile(no ones complaining about them).

The Greys said:
I think it's great. The next album could be a clean heavy album for all anyone knows.

The new amorphis singer sounds like a pop singer along with liv kristine. It's just all three are less typical than pop singers on TV. Katonia's singer has sounded like a pop singer for awile(no ones complaining about them).

Actually, I've complained about Renkse since "Discouraged Ones"... He's still waaaaaaay better than Mr. Åkerfeldt, though... And the new Amorphis singer sounds like a slightly-above-average heavy metal vocalist, so there!

If Mikael did an all clean vocal heavy album with opeth with shorter songs everything about it would be more effective than katatonia. Renkse does not have as much range power or diversity imo.

The new singer for Amorphis is indeed a pop singer. I'm guessing the band wanted him to do some heavy metal and death metallish parts so they can appeal to old fans again. The only reason you think he's generic 'heavy metal' vocalist is because his forced parts are actually generic and not needed in the band. I'm sure with the next album they will fix that since they're back. Usually new singers on a metal album especially being new to the band do not do that fine of a job. Amorphis should have had this guy 5 years ago.

Really good point on Reverend Bizarre, actually. The more "upbeat" tracks from Crush the Insects (especially tracks 1-3) are fucking amazing. I need to hear them do more. Aren't they making one more album, as I recall?

agreed on Agalloch, Katatonia, and kinda Reverend Bizarre but not really... i mean, come on... a doom band throws in upbeat parts and some samples of the band members drinking and making noise and the band has progressed?

Another one I was thinking of: Boris. Every album I own by them is pretty much surprisingly different from the others.

plaguewilder said:
Arcturus is NOT a good example of a BM band improving, the new one is utter trash. In fact they've done nothing good since La Masquerade....

The Sham Mirror's is a masterpiece and rivals LMI in every facet. Sideshow Symphonies was a step back but still packed a punch.

I said that they are good example of how a band evolves a very long distance from its roots. This thread is about evolution beyond genres, not just improvement as you say. If early Arcturus wanted just to improve, they would still be putting out black metal. But instead they reached into the vast frontier of avantgarde, and were quite successful.