Bands that evolve greatly

ohiogrinder said:
Mayhem is an example of a band that has evolved for the worse

It probably has something to due with their dead guitarist. Not the greatest guitar playing, but I would rather hear his playing over that faggy new guy they have. Maniacs vocals are typical garbage .De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas was good stuff.

If Gallows Gallery had not been released I would have said Sigh, as Imaginary Sonicscape is a vast improvement over albums like Scorn Defeat.

The Greys said:
It probably has something to due with their dead guitarist. Not the greatest guitar playing, but I would rather hear his playing over that faggy new guy they have. Maniacs vocals are typical garbage .De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas was good stuff.

De Mysteriis I believe is their only good album. Attila is awesome.

I don't like symphonies as much as necro but you can tell the band is going into the direction of Necroticism with the music. Both albums are actually not to far appart in terms musically.

Killbot said:
It's debatable if they made a change for the better, I think they did, but I'm a fairly big electronica fan anyway, a lot of people seem pretty pissed with their new stuff.
Can you reccomend any similar electronica to Ulver's newest material?

I never meant for the thread to mean for the better, just a great leap in sound, but the way this is going I'll allow it

Addtional bands I forgot:
Enslaved
In The Woods...
Isis

ohiogrinder said:
fucking Swansong? you fail...

You fail.

And I don't think anyone has mentioned Samael yet. Whether they changed for the better or not is debatable (and I'm guessing most people on this forum would say NO) but they certainly made a *huge* change in their sound and I love all their stuff from the early black/doom albums to the recent electronic albums (though Lesson in Magic and Era One which were recently finally released by Century Media after having been delayed for several years are pretty terrible).

Carcassian said:
Really good point on Reverend Bizarre, actually. The more "upbeat" tracks from Crush the Insects (especially tracks 1-3) are fucking amazing. I need to hear them do more. Aren't they making one more album, as I recall?

Are they really??!@! Holy shit that just made my day.

Yes, but unfortunately they were originally going to do more. Why would such a great band want to limit themselves so?

ohiogrinder said:
fucking Swansong? you fail...

On the contrary, the failure is all yours. Swansong, while much maligned, is a quality piece of infectious, hook laden good old fashioned death n' roll.:kickass:

Enemy242 said:
Norther
Dark Tranquillity (i personally really like thier new sound much better than thier early sound)
Symphony X (the divine wings of tragedy and the odysessy are much better than the damnation game and twilight)
yea, thats true, but I have to say, Damnation game is really good. But as for twilight, I dont like that album...