Bands that would be better with a different vocalist?

Pitiless Wanderer

Jun 14, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I just got into Symphony X recently, and while I enjoy the guitar parts and arrangements, the vocals leave something to be desired. It isn't a bad vocal, but it isn't anything really distinctive either. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Bands that play in an overly crowded genre need to make their impact with something peculiar to their sound. A good example of this would be early Nightrage, who play swedish melodic death metal. They were fortunate to get Tompa who has a very distinguishable vocal delivery and that's why their first two albums are among the genre's best in my opinion. Nevermore is perhaps an even better example, as Warrel Dane, love him or hate him, only sounds like Warrel Dane.

What bands would you say need a different vocalist to realize their full potential?

The problem with this thread is that people will get attached to a vocalist's distinct contribution to a band regardless of his or her performance; thus people "can't imagine it any other way." So Sabbath, Slayer, Bathory, etc. all could have potentially sounded "better" with someone else, but almost no one would recognize it if they've already heard the album made classic with another vocalist.

Slayer
Sabbath

>implying Sabbath or Slayer would be better with a different vocalist

89139357.jpg