Bands that would be better with a different vocalist?

Russel Allen is the only good thing about Symphony X.

I wouldnt go that far but I also see him as one of the great things about SX. They are obviously very talented technically but I dont really like the songwriting that much. Allen usually makes the songs better.

I wouldnt want anything different to my Megadeth. I think Mustaine has good, personal and original vocals. I really like the delivery most of the time. I dont think he is able to do it all that good live though.

I think Mustaine has good, personal and original vocals. I really like the delivery most of the time. I dont think he is able to do it all that good live though.

His live performance is the main problem. I've seen them live three times and I enjoy his guitar playing and their setlist, but his vocals are hard to stand.

Barlow is just amazing imo, but Owens to me is still the same Rob Halford wannabe. But Iced Earth has gone musically alot worse through the last few albums so it doesn't really matter.

Amoral's latest has great riffs and songs but the singer is just horrible. Im not hoping them to go back death vocals but just get a good singer. Down with Hevi-Ari.

And I dont know if Megadeth would be better with another vocalist but it just wouldnt be Megadeth anymore.

Quo Vadis and At the Gates stand out as being the best bands with the worst vocalists. I felt that Death's vocals could have been a lot better too. And I can't believe there are people out there who don't rate Russel Allen, he's like the best vocalist in the history of metal.

Helloween!! :loco: I can live with Deris, but there have got to be thousands of better power-metal singers.

Mastodon; love Brent Hinds' guitar work, NOT his weird moans.

And DragonForce--oh, hey, got my wish! :lol: ZP was fine, but I look forward to hearing them with someone new.

Also, MAJOR fuck-you to thread-starter for dissing Russell Allen.

Please be quiet now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quo Vadis and At the Gates stand out as being the best bands with the worst vocalists. I felt that Death's vocals could have been a lot better too. And I can't believe there are people out there who don't rate Russel Allen, he's like the best vocalist in the history of metal.
Definitely. Chuck was horrible and ever-intrusive.
Also, I can't stand John Tardy.

I'm much more tolerant of over-the-top clean vocals than over-the top harsh vocals

I'm going to throw out Behemoth, since typically I can't stand his shouted synthesized vocals.

Mastodon; love Brent Hinds' guitar work, NOT his weird moans.

Seconed! I love Mastodon but the vocals were always their weak point and usually the parts Brent does. A shame really because his guitar work is awesome and the whole band is great.

This one might be better off in the controversial thread but I dont listen to None so vile by Cryptopsy. I hate Lord Worms vocals.

I love Ackercocke but at times the deep growls are to much.

I never dug the early Burzum vocals either. The Belus ones are a lot better for sure.

I have a hard time with Ishans vocals at times as well. To me it sounds like they at times are out of pitch even if there might not even be such a thing with growls/screams depending on the amount of tones used. Legion of Marduk is another example of this. I really hated some of the stuff he did.

Hammerfall culd be better with another vocalist but ever since the first couple of albums the vocals havent eben the only thing lacking.

I could probably appreciate Nightwish more if they didnt have Tarja on vocals. I dont mind the opera style I just dont like her opera style vox.

I think I would appreciate Testament a lot more if Chuck Billy could vary his vocals more. He probably has the potential but I feel that after listening to a whole Testament album his style gets old very fast.