Bands that you used to love, and now can't listen to anymore

Weird, I can't think of anything that falls into that category for me. Apparently I'm such a prophetic genius that I only end up liking things that will stand the test of time.

Certainly I can think of bands where I'm not interested in their newer stuff, but that never affects my appreciation of their older stuff that I already like. You know, since I'm not a bitter little girl who feels spurned. Then there are a lot of things that I loved years ago that I hardly ever listen to anymore, but that's only because there is too much other stuff for me to listen to, not because I don't like them.

It's a bit dangerous to come to the conclusion that you've stopped liking something after only one bad listening experience. I have those all the time...I pull out an old album thinking "yeah, this album is AWESOME, and I haven't listened to it in forever!!" Then I play it, and I'm all "meh. What did I see in this?" But then a month later I'll stumble across it again, and it will be right back to its former glory. So timing/mood/setting/luck have quite a bit to do with it, at least for me.

I almost wish that I DID have the ability to dislike old stuff; that would help change music into a more "disposable" thing for me, where old stuff falls out the back end of my collection when I add stuff to the front. Instead, all I do is add add add, and the pile never gets smaller.

Neil

I have to have several listens of something not doing anything for me now before I lump it into the...uh...it doesn't do anything for me category. I've been burned far too many times by selling or trading something that I thought I no longer needed only to have to buy it again later.

I've tried listening to Ghehenna and Old Man's Child repeatedly over the past couple of months and I couldn't stomach it. However, I had iTunes running at work last week and went to a meeting. When I came back, Born of The Flickering was on and it sounded wonderful. So much of it is mood driven that, for me, it is hard to truly say that I will ever get completely done with something I once loved (though Gehenna is really pushing the envelope).

Then again, it could be that I am listening to these albums for the wrong reason. If I pull them out when someone mentiones them or to see if they do stand up, they probably won't. It's like craving pizza and eating soup instead. You might really love soup, but it's not what you wanted at that time.

I feel like I'm talking in circles. Is it just me or am I making no sense? Damn burrito messing me up...

Nevermore. With the exception of their first couple of albums, I haven't been able to tolerate anything post-Politics of Ecstasy. But that doesn't mean I won't go back to it and like it in a month/year/whatever.

I think, for the most part, most bands fit into a particular listening need, and I will not want to listen to something for even years, but then I'll reach a stage where I do, and I will appreciate it for that time. Mostly the saturation of particular sounds burns me out on bands who may have helped create and originate the sound. I'm finally coming back to being able to listen to melodic death metal, for years even the mention of it made me cringe and I had to avoid even greats like early In Flames, Eucharist, et al.

Right now, I'm about sick of "folk-influenced" black and viking metal. Even more than the big "thrash revival" going on, every black metal band is trying to be folk, pagan, epic, blah. There are those who did it first, those who do it well, and I'm okay with them, but the saturation level is too high.

Nevermore, Behemoth

Hmm yeah I way agree with these. Man, Apostasy is a fuckin bad album, and for some reason I get annoyed seeing it on so many top 10 lists (frequently at #1). However, I havent really given Satanica a listen in while, which was always my favorite of theirs (there was a time when I would without hesitation state that it is the alpha and the omega of black/death).

Nevermore. With the exception of their first couple of albums, I haven't been able to tolerate anything post-Politics of Ecstasy. But that doesn't mean I won't go back to it and like it in a month/year/whatever.

I think, for the most part, most bands fit into a particular listening need, and I will not want to listen to something for even years, but then I'll reach a stage where I do, and I will appreciate it for that time. Mostly the saturation of particular sounds burns me out on bands who may have helped create and originate the sound. I'm finally coming back to being able to listen to melodic death metal, for years even the mention of it made me cringe and I had to avoid even greats like early In Flames, Eucharist, et al.

Right now, I'm about sick of "folk-influenced" black and viking metal. Even more than the big "thrash revival" going on, every black metal band is trying to be folk, pagan, epic, blah. There are those who did it first, those who do it well, and I'm okay with them, but the saturation level is too high.

Amen brother

I'm totally gay for that shit, though decreasingly so.

I have to have several listens of something not doing anything for me now before I lump it into the...uh...it doesn't do anything for me category. I've been burned far too many times by selling or trading something that I thought I no longer needed only to have to buy it again later.

I've tried listening to Ghehenna and Old Man's Child repeatedly over the past couple of months and I couldn't stomach it. However, I had iTunes running at work last week and went to a meeting. When I came back, Born of The Flickering was on and it sounded wonderful. So much of it is mood driven that, for me, it is hard to truly say that I will ever get completely done with something I once loved (though Gehenna is really pushing the envelope).

Then again, it could be that I am listening to these albums for the wrong reason. If I pull them out when someone mentiones them or to see if they do stand up, they probably won't. It's like craving pizza and eating soup instead. You might really love soup, but it's not what you wanted at that time.

I feel like I'm talking in circles. Is it just me or am I making no sense? Damn burrito messing me up...

did you crave pizza but eat a burrito instead? :loco:

Hmm yeah I way agree with these. Man, Apostasy is a fuckin bad album, and for some reason I get annoyed seeing it on so many top 10 lists (frequently at #1). However, I havent really given Satanica a listen in while, which was always my favorite of theirs (there was a time when I would without hesitation state that it is the alpha and the omega of black/death).

Yeah, I still like Ceremony of Shiva. I thought Warrels vocals on that album were just awful. About Nevermore, I don't mind them...DNB and everything before is decent along with EOR, it's just when I listen to them I get terribly bored and my mind drifts off. I'm hoping his solo album will be great since Jeff cuntface Loomis won't be able to ruin it with his wanky musings.

I'm also really gay for folk-black, pagan etc. I don't think I can tire of the folk metal genre.

Folky black metal is getting reeeaaallly old for me as well. Most of the more extreme grind/death metal I used to enjoy has been collecting dust the past few years as well.

To be fair, I can understand the appeal of it, and do like quite a bit of it. I've a friend who will pretty much drop a wad (both financially and sexually) on any band with distorted guitars and a folk element at this point. Having heard so much, it was very apparent when bands used "folk elements" in substitution for quality song writing.

I agree! Mang...Myrkgrav is the best but I guess I guess they're closer to viking. So...I wish Eluveitie would drop the damn melo death influence and the singer. Theres a video on youtube of a song from their new album but it has more melodeath in it. Ugh. Falkenbach in 2008 should be good but Vratyas needs to do something different this time. Myrkgrav will be the best!

agreeing with most of the posts here... Opeth, dark tranquillity, in flames, nevermore... basically anything I listened to as a kid. Probably had too much Katatonia as well, but Brave Murder Day will never get old.