Bands you feel are overrated

Brushoff
:lol:
No matter how much I explain you won't buy what I have to say and I was willing to try until your rap comparison.

Personal Attack
You're going to be as willfully ignorant as you wish to be no matter what someone says to try and convince you otherwise.

Strawman
Only thing I will say is that you honestly think there is nothing to "get", no point, to something such as this?

............Nice. The above post proves you actually have no arguement, since you just depleted the O'Reilly/Hannity/Rush/Matthews/Olbermann/etc. bucket of arguement tactics.

You've proven time and time again (though on musical fronts no where near as bad as HamburgerBoy) that you will not take into account what the others have to say, so I simply am not going to bother.

I don't care if it is a personal attack or a strawman, I'm not putting effort into a lost battle.

I have an instinctive mental block for several posters on this forum. I don't even need to use the ignore function to know who not to take seriously.

You've proven time and time again (though on musical fronts no where near as bad as HamburgerBoy) that you will not take into account what the others have to say, so I simply am not going to bother.

I don't care if it is a personal attack or a strawman, I'm not putting effort into a lost battle.

This is far from the truth. But I rarely take into account what you have to say, so if you wish to blanket that to include everyone, feel free. I won't take it into account ;) . Also, you bothered to put the effort into the fallacies, so the last part is a weak exit.

Brushoff

Personal Attack

Strawman

............Nice. The above post proves you actually have no arguement, since you just depleted the O'Reilly/Hannity/Rush/Matthews/Olbermann/etc. bucket of arguement tactics.

I don't know what you're talking about, but since you're clearly trying to appear super intelligent I thought I should point out you don't know how to spell argument correctly.

Ah, so you did it on purpose?

Yeah, I believe you. :p

It is the first result when you google "arguement", but the link makes a good point; people often dismiss the argument of others by pointing out their grammatical errors, which is a strawman that doesnt even address the relevancy of the argument.

This is far from the truth. But I rarely take into account what you have to say, so if you wish to blanket that to include everyone, feel free. I won't take it into account ;) . Also, you bothered to put the effort into the fallacies, so the last part is a weak exit.

Speaking of fallacies, it seems like you are the one who is attacking a strawman. Just because you have a problem with music elitists doesnt mean you should hate on black metal.

On the other hand, I dont think there is a problem with not enjoying, or like pretentious metalheads like to refer to as "getting", black metal. Though I see a lot of people who arent well versed with the genre mention the innovators and write black metal off as barbaric, sloppy, and simplistic. In today's musical context those observations may be relevant; quite a few of the classic black metal albums of the early 90s were pretty sloppy and simplistic, but the defining characteristics of black metal did not simply lie in complexity or precision but in expression and atmosphere. The genre has been expanded upon in many different ways (speed/tempo variations, complexity in rhythm and melody, grander more cohesive compositions, etc) and diversified the definition of black metal a great deal. Its too bad that most critics of black metal are too ignorant to realize this.

Speaking of fallacies, it seems like you are the one who is attacking a strawman. Just because you have a problem with music elitists doesnt mean you should hate on black metal.

Well we are discussing over-rating, and over-rating an entire genre is akin to over-rating a band.

The black metal elitists are as bad as any particular band-elitists, if not worse, and it is the elitist (in general) that overrates a band (or genre).

So? Every genre has its elitists that over-hype their favorite kind of music. I think your confusing over-hyping with overrating.

Look at it this way. Every band has its die hard screaming fans that overhype the shit out of them. Its just that some bands "suck" AND have a huge fanbase proportional to other bands of a similar genre. Hence why its just a little bit controversial to bring up Burzum in a thread like this. They may have a huge fanbase, but not many of us can honestly say that they think Varg's music sucks. Unless your talking more about specific albums, where imo Filosofem could be considered overrated compared to his other albums because an overwhelming majority listen to this album of his and this album only.

Your condescension is poor form. Anyway, I understand where you are coming from, but since "suck" is generally subjective, overhype and overrate are merely flip sides of a coin.

Rating something is not, by default, hyping it. But hyping something is publicly rating it. All rate is not hype, but all hype is rate. And by default no band(or genre) is overrated that is not also overhyped (by some-one/group).

I also cannot think of any genre that gets the same amount of condescending fellating as black metal, except for progressive metal.

And as much as I do like Metallica, they are way overrated by non-metal-listeners. However, they are often underrated by metal elitists.

Metallica is sooooooooo overrated by non-metal-listeners it's sick, they're good but how often do you see statements like these: "teh gratest bands evar!!!!!!1" "thye made hevy matal" "awsomest deaf metal band" on YouTube, and other such places?

EDIT: The mainstream popularity may be the reason many elitests dislike them.