Bands you feel are overrated

Overrated? I tend to forget who I do not prefer but who I think is worth listening to, myself, is:

Animals as Leaders
John McLaughlin
Frank Zappa
Gorguts

Well, to somewhat keep this thread on topic, I'd have to say Obituary is insanely overrated. There are so many other death metal bands from the early 90's that were much darker, heavier, catchy, etc. Obituary is just so middle of the roadish that it hurts.

Can't say I care for Obituary,Deicide,Cannibal Corpse, or Brutal DM.

Not many people care for Brutal DM, therefore it is not overrated. This new wave of thrash is also overrated btw. O_O

Overrated metal:
Burzum
Motörhead
Metallica
Slayer
Primordial
Electric Wizard
Mayhem
Megadeth
Shining
Tool
Immolation
Darkthrone
Pain of Salvation
Kyuss
Rage Against the Machine
Coroner
Beherit
Nifelheim
Pantera

Overrated non-metal:
Pink Floyd
Rammstein
KISS
The Beatles
My Bloody Valentine
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Queens of the Stone Age
Nas
U2
Depeche Mode
Public Enemy
Sonic Youth
Wu-Tang Clan
Arcade Fire
R.E.M.
Radiohead
Weezer
Daft Punk
Sigur Rós
Muse
Dead Kennedys
The Clash

Overrated does not equal that a band sucks ass, but many of these do.

How in the world is Obituary insanely overrated? I almost never see that many people around here or anywhere else rave about how great Obituary is. Maybe I'm missing something, but I always see people rag on Obituary when they're brought up. Anyway, they generally don't seem to be considered as great as a lot of death metal bands that started back around the same time period, yet their first two albums are just fine and are rightly considered at least minor classics of the genre. So how the hell are they overrated?

They're sort of the Anthrax of Floridian death metal. They were definitely one of the most successful death metal bands, and Cause for Conflict has classic-status among most, but people just don't care about them as much anymore, and they played a now-dated and simplistic style.

I think you meant to say Cause of Death.

I don't know how compelling it is to say that their style is simplistic, since metal elitists routinely praise plenty of simplistic music. The same goes for the claim that they're dated.

lol, I made that exact mistake just a few days ago.

I don't really dislike them, and wouldn't use their simplicity against them, but it is an objective metric easy to regurgitate. A Morbid Angel or Death fan (almost certainly the two most heralded Floridian death metal bands today) would gladly use it against Obituary. Even a Deicide fanboy can shoot lard over the Hoffman brothers, but Obituary has always been a bit slower, a bit catchier, and maybe too "old-school" for their own good. When one listens to the Celtic Frost cover on that album and most of their originals, it shows how they weren't pushing any envelope.

tbh the first two Coroner albums are overrated. Some great songs, but it mostly blends together, especially Vetterli's solos which were mostly mediocre at that point. His creative growth the following year(s) was amazing. Still my favorite thrash band, though.