Bands you just can't get into

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
I thought I'd start a new thread here so that we can help each other like bands some of us just can't get into.

Give a list of bands you've tried to like but who just haven't clicked, and hopefully everyone will jump in with suggestions on songs or albums to act as a gateway for you to try and become a fan.

Here are the main bands I have trouble with:

Pantera
Slipknot

I've tried, and while I might like a song or two the majority of what I've heard does nothing for me.

Am the same with those two bands. Never grabbed me like they did other people.
Same with Machine Head & Lamb of God. Never know why people love them so much.
Dragonforce is another for the list. Just can't get into them.
& Steel Panther; a band that bother me because they were a joke band that suddenly forgot about the joke part.

Steel Panther are all about the live show. I'm not a fan, but can't deny their entertainment value at a festival. I'm sure this is what won a lot of their fans over.

Pantera is all about the earlier Phil albums for me. The vocals on Cowboys From Hell are second to none, and Dime's riffing and solos are still groundbreaking to listen to. The riffing in Heresy is pure Hetfield worship, the breakdown in Domination forms the blueprints for countless metalcore bands a decade later, and the vocals i Shattered are just that.

Slipknot do little for me. I was a little bit caught up in the hype machine of their debut as a teenager but never gave any other album a chance.

Death are a main one for me. I gave one album a chance long ago and wasn't impressed enough to go further. Where should i start?

I could take recommendations from more extreme bands i never got into too. Morbid Angel, Burzum and Emperor i have never tried.

For me Death - Symbolic is pretty much the perfect death metal album. If you don't like that one, chances are you won't like any others (even if the rest are different from that one).

Re Pantera, if Cowboys From Hell or Far Beyond Driven don't do it for you, none of their albums are likely to.

I've never really been able to get into Foo Fighters. I mean I like some of their songs, but they don't excite me like they seem to most of the rock listening population.

I didn't like Foo Fighters until "Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace", and I loved "Wasting Light". I don't care much for the rest of their stuff but those two albums have generated enough good will for me to become enough of a fan where I'll now see them live.

I'm with Winnie on the Foo Fighters. Nothing I dislike, but also nothing that hold my interest for very long.

I have trouble with a lot of Death Metal/Cookie Monster bands. I can be listening to a new album that I know nothing about (yay Spotify), enjoy the first instrumental/intro track, get into the main first songs and then the singer comes in with "wharglewharglewharglewharglewhargle" and I'm just...nope. But it's not every band though. I listened to the new Arch Enemy (I think it was) and didn't mind it at all. Same as Fear Factory. I'm going to listen to Symbolic now and report back .

Death - Symbolic is another good one. I wonder if there's something common between all the ones I like. Perhaps it's understanding the words, which is weird because I normally don't pay attention to them.

With regards to death metal, if the music has melody to it then that really helps. Some of it just sounds like the same song over and over and I honestly don't know how people can like it. It's all about the music for me with death metal though.

I've been listening to a metal and rock playlist I found on Spotify with about 450 songs on it. It's opening my ears to a lot of bands I'd never even heard of.

Hasn't swayed me on bands I don't like yet, though.

I can't remember most of them, but I finally heard an Atreyu song and didn't mind them. I always avoided listening because of the stupid name, even though I love The Neverending Story. I love Lord of the Rings too, but I'm not going to listen to a band called Frodo.

This is the playlist here: http://open.spotify.com/user/jazmi/playlist/5E9POqzvMqLSBM6XmSWUSZ. Some stuff I skip straight away but some cool stuff too.

I couldn't get into Deicide for the longest time, nearly 20 years in fact, until their last album, and then I finally 'got' it, and have since gone back and bought the whole back catalogue.

The big one for me is Opeth, everyone goes on about them, but really, I can't get into them. But being a relatively easy going uncritical listener of music, i tend to find something good in everything

I was a huge Opeth fan in the 90s, but once their third album came out I started to lose interest (around the time they became more popular, which makes it sound like I lost interest because they got more fans - not true). I saw them open for Dream Theater in 2009 and have had no interest in seeing them live since. They played two out of the three Downloads I went to and I never even entertained the idea of seeing them.

But those two albums, and especially Morningrise, are brilliant. Morningrise would be in my top 5 albums ever.

I've found In This Moment. Their latest album isn't the greatest, but Blood and A Star-crossed Wasteland I really dig. Female fronted nu-metal-ish band. Bit like Otep.

Yeah, gotta agree on Opeth. I've tried a few times to give them a chance, especially since we supported them back in the day, but it always ranges from boring to irritating to me for some reason. Obviously not to say their music is bad or I think it's shit or anything, but it just really doesn't work for me.