Bands you should have heard by now...but haven't

Nah, it's because I liked punk rock first. I think most people get into black and death metal via more 'mainstream' metal, i.e. Alice in Chains and Black Sabbath eventually lead to At The Gates, Opeth, Ulver etc. I got into metal where it fused with punk bands I liked (I guess that would be metalcore?) and then followed it from there, with the result that I was listening to bands like Opeth and still not knowing who the hell Alice in Chains were :Spin:.

edit: hey, someone else from SD :headbang:

Hating the classics just because they don't sound like bands whose members weren't even born during their prime is really really retarded.

I see what you mean...that's actually exactly what happened to one of my friends. He was this total punk rocker wearing all this punk stuff until one day he wanted to learn harder more respected parts on guitar rather than the punk power chord stuff. Sepultura "slaves of pain" changed his life. Soon after he started getting into the Opeth parts, finger picked and metal...he just became a metalhead without really knowing the "classic" stuff.

There also is a huge difference between listening and playing. As a guitarist, I can (to some degree) appreciate certain innovations or bands that where unique at a given time, but are now considered standard. But I simply have no desire to listen to their music because it is a foundation for something beter, and often not that great on its own. I feel this way about 99% of "classics". People are far too generous with how they throw around phrases like "visionary" or "groundbreaking".

Composers were doing things that no one would dare, or even conceive of doing, in the rock or pop format... and this is a central problem with this music, it is entirely a commodity format. It was invented to fill a fractional time slot for radio broadcasts.

Id say that unless you are really into the history of rock or metal (lame) then you arent missing anything.

EDIT: Wanted to add that I thinks it nice to see when women drop the bullshit and actually engage the world as a complex creature, and enjoy something for what it is. That a 17-18 girl in this culture is honestly enjoying Death and Black metal (and hopefully not because of some trend or goth complex) is unusual to say the least. If NeverIsForever is really a girl, then its nice to have you around. :cool:

Justin S. said:
EDIT: Wanted to add that I thinks it nice to see when women drop the bullshit and actually engage the world as a complex creature, and enjoy something for what it is. That a 17-18 girl in this culture is honestly enjoying Death and Black metal (and hopefully not because of some trend or goth complex) is unusual to say the least.

Blargh, I could hardly agree with you more. That sort of girl is one of the many facets of my ideal girl :Spin:

I've met so many girls who tell me they listen to metal to sound like they're hardcore. When I met one of my friend's ex girlfriends, I ask her what music she likes (she was dressed all goth, you know, dog collar, black eyeliner and black lipstick etc.) Obviously she tells me that she likes metal, and so naturally I ask her what bands.

"Have you heard of Cradle of Filth???"

Ok, so at least she didn't say Tool or Korn, BUT it turns out that her boyfriend had actually only introduced her to CoF about 2 days before, and she had no idea about any of their songs or albums. And it also turns out she actually mostly listens to Meat Loaf and Seether (Quote: "Seether is gothic shit man!"):bah:

Anyways, back on topic.

I've only heard and remember one Judas Priest song (Painkiller, which I liked a lot.)
As a bit of a Mike Patton fan, I still haven't heard Tomahawk, and have no idea what they sound like.

No Man
Swallow the Sun (so i've been told...)
Portishead (apart from the Teardrops song)
Lamb of God

Cant think of anymore at the moment, I think i've heard the majority of the 'well known' metal bands. :saint:

Justin S. said:
EDIT: Wanted to add that I thinks it nice to see when women drop the bullshit and actually engage the world as a complex creature, and enjoy something for what it is. That a 17-18 girl in this culture is honestly enjoying Death and Black metal (and hopefully not because of some trend or goth complex) is unusual to say the least. If NeverIsForever is really a girl, then its nice to have you around. :cool:
Aww, thanks :oops:

I am a girl. I'm not a goth, and I'm not into black and death metal to be trendy. I went to a prep school until a couple of weeks ago (I graduated, thank god) so that should give you some idea of what was trendy among my peers. I believe pop-punk and emo, which I more or less avoid like the plague, were "the" musical genres to be listening to. I was the only person (girl OR guy) there into metal at all, so the bands that I listen to are mostly ones I've stumbled onto myself and, more recently, heard about on this forum. (So thanks guys for having great taste in music!)

Haven't really heard Slayer, or much '80s thrash outside of Metallica and Megadeth.
I agree that that the "classics" don't always justify listening to. I mean, once you've heard maybe 10 Iron Maiden songs, you get the point. Same with Judas Priest.
Also: At the Gates
Bloodbath
Nevermore
Suffocation
Cryptopsy
any power metal.

there seems to be several kinds of people here.

modernists: only like more modern metal...

classic/purists: may listen to some modern stuff, but typically only true bands.

whateverists: people who listen to what they like, and have no biased preconceptions due to genre or era.

in my own opinion...as stale, boring and fruity or whatever Judas Priest may sound to some of you...their music is far more entertaining and has a lot more replay value than newer bands like kalmah, orphaned land, children of bodom, dimmu borgir, woods of ypres, nile, etc etc. It does sound dated...but i dont see why thats a problem? I wouldnt necessarily call myself a metal historian or a music historian (although i know more than most about these things) because i listen to that music...i just like it because its good music.

anyone who disregards something due to its age or maybe being obsolete in one way or another, is missing out on a lot.

Opeth is a band that really isnt modern in any way at all. But it seems most people regard them as a modern metal band. Sure, they technically are due to when they were formed. But musically they are a classic sounding band in almost every respect...and thats why i like them. Its tasteful, unique, and has tons of replay value, without sounding like the typical monotonous horseshit labels like century media, nuclear blast and metalblade are shoving down everyones throats.

NineFeetUnderground said:

classic/purists: may listen to some modern stuff, but typically only true bands.

whateverists: people who listen to what they like, and have no biased preconceptions due to genre or era.

in my own opinion...as stale, boring and fruity or whatever Judas Priest may sound to some of you...their music is far more entertaining and has a lot more replay value than newer bands like kalmah, orphaned land, children of bodom, dimmu borgir, woods of ypres, nile, etc etc. It does sound dated...but i dont see why thats a problem? I wouldnt necessarily call myself a metal historian or a music historian (although i know more than most about these things) because i listen to that music...i just like it because its good music.

anyone who disregards something due to its age or maybe being obsolete in one way or another, is missing out on a lot.

Opeth is a band that really isnt modern in any way at all. But it seems most people regard them as a modern metal band. Sure, they technically are due to when they were formed. But musically they are a classic sounding band in almost every respect...and thats why i like them. Its tasteful, unique, and has tons of replay value, without sounding like the typical monotonous horseshit labels like century media, nuclear blast and metalblade are shoving down everyones throats.

this is tr00th. Nicely put.

Deadboy and the Elephantmen

This is a band fronted by Dax Riggs, who was the frontman of Acid Bath. You won't find their album, 'If This is Hell, Then I'm Lucky,' in stores, but do your best to try to download the demo version wherever you do your downloading. This is easily one of the best acoustic/atmospheric albums that I've ever heard. Dax Riggs has such an amazing voice that more people need to hear. Even though there aren't any "metal" moments on this album, it should appeal to anyone's musical tastes. If you can find the demo version of this album somewhere, you won't be disappointed.

If you can't find this, try one of his other bands, Agents of Oblivion. They just released one album, but it's a pretty damn good one.

Botfly said:
:yuk: That's not even music, it's entirely dissonant chord wanking... Emerson anyways. Phish is boring as hell.

ahhhhhh!!!!! never heard of emerson...but phish, boring? i know, i know...its your opinion, and i respect that, but that doesn't mean that a small section of my mind can't wonder what the fuck is wrong with you.

QUOTE]

are you associating classic with true...what do you mean by true?

JoeVice said:

QUOTE]

are you associating classic with true...what do you mean by true?

^tr00 as in staying strictly in one style of music; the way it was originally intended to be.