BATTLE OF THE THRASH METAL BANDS (FINAL)

Which is the ATG thrash band?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jimmy101

Sep 19, 2018
Semi-finals results

Metallica (13) def. Voivod (5)
Megadeth (4) lost to Slayer (14)

Total lists submitted: 18

On to the final now. No need to post your votes this time, just vote in the above poll & talk shit below. The poll will be open for 7 days.

METALLICA VS SLAYER!!

Reactions: CiG
Yeah? Which songs would you regard as being universally better than Angel of Death?

Angel of Death probably isn't even a top 10 Slayer song for me, so limiting it to just songs better than Black Magic, Chemical Warfare, Necrophiliac, and Postmortem (probably my top 4):

Fight Fire With Fire - ridiculously technical and advanced especially for 1984 while also more aggressive than their competition
For Whom the Bell Tolls - total anthem and classic of epic metal
Fade to Black - peak metal ballad
The Call of Ktulu - ambition and atmosphere still unapproached by most of their progeny today with no gimmicks attached
Master of Puppets - self-evident
The Thing That Should Not Be - this was several years ahead of both death metal in terms of drop-tuned heavy churning and tech-metal like Confessor/Meshuggah in terms of unwieldy rhythms and arrangement
Disposable Heroes - main riff reduced to a single heavily-syncopated open-string note yet they successfully get 8 minutes of intense and thematic thrash out of it
Orion - Ktulu pt 2 except exploring a totally different theme in a rather different way

I guess I'll retract the 'dozen' qualification though I'd say Motorbreath, Jump in the Fire, Escape, Creeping Death, Sanitarium, Damage Inc, Blackened, and One are at least competitive with Slayer's best.

Slayer is obviously great and if being purely numerical about direct copycats of their sound, they still win. But they never had the full package of those eight Metallica songs. You'd have to cherry-pick the greatest individual moments of the Slayer discography, maybe somehow meld the bridge of Necrophiliac, the hardcore break of Kill Again, and the melodic tension of Hallowed Point to make a single song to beat any of those eight.

Reactions: jimmy101
Angel of Death probably isn't even a top 10 Slayer song for me, so limiting it to just songs better than Black Magic, Chemical Warfare, Necrophiliac, and Postmortem (probably my top 4):

Fight Fire With Fire - ridiculously technical and advanced especially for 1984 while also more aggressive than their competition
For Whom the Bell Tolls - total anthem and classic of epic metal
Fade to Black - peak metal ballad
The Call of Ktulu - ambition and atmosphere still unapproached by most of their progeny today with no gimmicks attached
Master of Puppets - self-evident
The Thing That Should Not Be - this was several years ahead of both death metal in terms of drop-tuned heavy churning and tech-metal like Confessor/Meshuggah in terms of unwieldy rhythms and arrangement
Disposable Heroes - main riff reduced to a single heavily-syncopated open-string note yet they successfully get 8 minutes of intense and thematic thrash out of it
Orion - Ktulu pt 2 except exploring a totally different theme in a rather different way

I guess I'll retract the 'dozen' qualification though I'd say Motorbreath, Jump in the Fire, Escape, Creeping Death, Sanitarium, Damage Inc, Blackened, and One are at least competitive with Slayer's best.

Slayer is obviously great and if being purely numerical about direct copycats of their sound, they still win. But they never had the full package of those eight Metallica songs. You'd have to cherry-pick the greatest individual moments of the Slayer discography, maybe somehow meld the bridge of Necrophiliac, the hardcore break of Kill Again, and the melodic tension of Hallowed Point to make a single song to beat any of those eight.
Yeah AoD isn't my favourite Slayer song either. But 1000% agree that Metallica's instrumental songs are better than anything Slayer has ever done.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
Bump. Poll closes in one day. Can Metallica stage an amazing comeback?

It's only because people are nostalgic that Slayer even got this far :)

To be fair, basically all of the bands that featured in this comp are nostalgia-driven.

Rid yourself of such nostalgia, Metallica is far better, only a fool wouldn't vote for them!

Metallica is far better
Are they? The only Metallica material that could be considered better than Slayer's best work is their classic stuff from the 80's (which is easy to get nostalgic about).

You'd have to rid yourself of nostalgia to do with both bands if you are to look at it objectively.

He spreads his wings especially on St Anger. Nothing quite like substituting a snare for a jerry can imo.

My first sound engineering job I made the drummer from Taipan's drum kit sound like he was using ice cream buckets, so maybe it's not all Lars' fault....then again maybe it is

It definitely is Lars' doing. Lars is super well-known for being controlling/pedantic about the way his drums are mixed. IIRC in an interview with the guy who produced AJFA & he said that Lars would bring in photos of a mixing board with each of the levels exactly where he wanted them to be. Wouldn't listen to anything the producer said about changing it for the better. Apparently he was on the verge of quitting his producer job all throughout the recording of that album.

Lars also told him face to face to omit any bass guitar on the record. Years later, Lars would approach him at some function being all like "You didn't really scoop the bass out of the mix did you?"

The guy was pretty annoyed by that.

Reactions: Slammed