Beer

since you're in SoCal, Stone IRS and Alesmith Speedway Stout would be my top two picks. Speedway Stout is year round. Stone IRS is once a year but tends to sit around on shelves. If you ever see any Beachwood imperial stouts on tap, drink it. They're fantastic. Cismontane's Black's Dawn imperial stout is great (actually pretty much anything from Cismontane is great). Green Flash Double Stout is available in four packs and fairly easy to find. Oskar Blues's Ten FIDY, but it's rather pricey at $16 for a four pack. In fall (I think) Sierra Nevada releases Narwhal, which is fucking fantastic.

I drank the Glutenberg Blonde tonight as part of my regular mixed six of new beers. This was a standout in a bad way. It's 100% gluten free, being brewed with millet and corn rather than barley. The taste is super estery and highly reminiscent of apple or white grape juice with mild hop backing. Maybe someone who is already gluten free can adapt to this, but it's jarring in comparison to normal beer.

Hard to think of many nationally available, year-round imperial stouts. SoCal doesn't do those as well as other parts of the country to begin with. On the bright side, any old stock at the store is still going to be tasty if it's a few months behind season.

Yeah, Founder's Breakfast Stout, BCBS, Left Hand's Nitro Milk Stout are pretty good, but I would easily take any Beachwood imperial stout, Parabola, Black Tuesday, The Abyss, Eclipse or Speedway Stout anyday.

Speedway Stout is a little pricey too right? Like $12+ for a 750ml bottle if i remember correctly. That's about on par with Ten Fidy, which i've been wanting to try ... but i just cant get myself to drop that much on just a regular four pack.

Also, do we get any Founders beers anywhere around here?

Nope! Unfortunately Founder's doesn't distribute here. They may eventually n bell's just started distributing in San Diego, so we'll see

Fantastic beer review of one of Melbourne's staple draught beers. This guy really knows his beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a Brother Thelonious last night, thought it was pretty good and strong.
I picked up two 4-packs today: Stillwater Artisanal's Why Can't IBU? and Great Divide's Yeti imperial stout. Hopefully they're as good as I anticipate.
I've been enjoying brews from Port Brewing as well recently. I bought the beers based on the cover alone, which were both surf-inspired and awesome. One was Wipeout IPA which kicked all kinds of ass, and the other was Shark Attack double red ale. Also very good. I have their summer ale in the fridge, guy at the beer store said it was very hoppy like an IPA so I should be enjoying that one tonight.

Why Can't IBU? was pretty good, though I didn't have it fresh. It's a hoppy saison and would be good with Thai food or something similarly spicy/complex.

Also, if by Port summer you mean SPA, that was really cool. Super juicy and piney Chinook hop bomb.

Yeah man it was the SPA and it was delightfully hoppy. The Great Divide Yeti was unbelievable. It was so chocolatey, malty, and smooth. It went down extremely well for an abv of just under 10 percent. WCIBU? tonight yo. Sounds promising.

Just doing Boulevard Wheat tonight, I have not been in the mood for hoppy beers for a while, maybe because it's summer or something. On sale for $11.99 a 12 pack.

CIMG2658_zpsde618dc2.jpg

... haul from today. Can't wait to try the Hop Shock and Modus Hoperandi.

I've heard good things about Ska Brewing... gonna have to check them out. Girlfriend and I hit up Pizza Port San Clemente, The Lost Abbey, and Stone today. It was nice. I was going to go to Alpine, but we didn't leave early enough and traffic was a fucking nightmare. Oh well. Delicious beers were consumed regardless.

If you're able to get your hands on it, Prairie Bomb is probably my favorite chili infused beer...really blends nicely. That and Bootlegger's Black Phoenix

Drank at the Lagunitas tap room at the brewery last night. It's really a huge facility. It's in a weird, inaccessible part of the city, but I guess that's how you get such a large warehouse. It's apparently going to be the largest craft brewery when it's done.

I was a bit disappointed they weren't doing too many fun new brews at the site. It was just all the stuff you can already get in bottles, aside from a few of the Fusion series. Considering how much of their lineup is variations on IPAs, I was hoping for more variety. I notice they basically never use ingredients outside of malt and hops.