Beer

so my buddy who is getting married is a big barleywine and scotch ale fan. These were a few of the beers I brought to the bachelor party:

zeBNcBL.jpg

L to R: 2014 Firestone Walker Sucaba, Beachwood BBQ & Brewing Bourbon Barrel aged Full Malted Jacket, AleSmith Bourbon Barrel Aged Old Numbskull, Midnight Sun Arctic Devil (BBA), Deep Ellum Numb Comfort, North Coast 2011 Old Stock Ale in Brandy Barrels, North Coast 2009 Old Stock Ale in Bourbon Barrels, 2013 Goose Island Bourbon County Barleywine, 2008 Thomas Hardy's Ale.

All were killer. Arctic Devil still stands out as one of my favorites. I brought several more that we didn't get to but will in the coming weeks

I'm still waiting for the alleged drop in quality from Goose Island that everyone was terrified about when AB InBev took over. Sure, the volume movers (312 wheat, 312 pale, IPA) aren't really anything to write home about, but they haven't been rendered undrinkable, and they weren't exactly at the top of the leaderboards to begin with. I find it mildly encouraging that the inevitable corporatization of craft beer isn't necessarily going to kill the quality.

yeah it always kind of blew my mind when people got all pissed about AB/InBev purchasing Goose Island. The Bourbon County stout and all of the Belgians are still brewed at Goose Island. AB/InBev took over 312 and the others so that GI could focus on the other beers and buy them more bourbon barrels. Works for me.

If anyone gets bored with all the marzens and pumpkin ales, Sierra Nevada's fall seasonal Flipside is actually a pretty refreshing alternative. It's a Red/IPA. 6%-ish ABV, hoppy nose, sweet crawl, malty finish. It's a nice beer to sip on while you're writing a report or taking your girl from behind.

I remember being kinda "eh" about Flipside... the idea behind it seemed like a cop-out cuz they were removing Tumbler for it. BUT... my fears were allayed when I sipped it and it was excellent. Hope to grab more soon.

My Labor Day selections:

Begyle - Crash Landed. Hoppy pale wheat at 7%. Probably not available outside Chicago.

Anchor - Big Leaf. Amber with maple. Characteristic of Anchor, with a nice malty maple flavor. Great for autumn.

New Belgium - Tour de Fall. Malty fall pale ale. Average, not bad.

Upland - Campside Session. On the border of blonde ale and APA. Ok.

Stone - Ruination. It's bitter. Not a big fan.

Stone - Sublimely Self-Righteous. Really nice black IPA, one of the best Stone beers I've had.

Furthermore - Knot Stock. Brewed with black pepper, and the black pepper is extremely apparent. But it's really good, and one of the better spice integrated beers I've had. Dry body with rich maltiness, notes of tobacco, tangy bitterness, creamy mouthfeel. I'd drink another black pepper beer again. Nice finish.

Knot Stock is my clear winner, but I don't know how much to attribute to already having had six beers today.

Picked up a few seasonal/variety packs on my way home today.

Sierra Nevada Fall Pack - Tumblr, Vienna, Oktoberfest, Pale Ale

Sam Adams Harvest Collection - Boston Lager, Octoberfest, Harvest Pumpkin Ale, Harvest Saison

I'm unfamiliar with most of these brews ... really looking forward to tasting 'em.