Beer

Speaking of homebrewing, me and my buddy bottled our bourbon barrel imperial stout last night. This is right before taking the bottles out of the dishwasher:

mCKolfe.jpg

To answer questions about the barrel before they come up, it's a 5 gallon bourbon barrel from Damnation Alley Distillery, a pretty new microdistillery in Belmont, MA. Should come out about 12.8%!

From last night ...

CIMG3400_zpseqvgtl5t.jpg

.. first timer trying Yella, does not even come close to comparing to some of the better Pilsners around.
CIMG3402_zpsjr3pyw33.jpg

... now this right here was a surprise, we found this bottle stashed in the back of my buddies beer fridge. One of the best imperial stouts i've had. It's brewed with Belgian yeast.

oh yeah it does blend in :lol:

Opened up a Prairie Bomb and Pirate Bomb the other night. Pirate Bomb is Prairie Bomb (imperial stout with chilis) aged in rum barrels. 13% and 14%abv respectively. The Pirate Bomb was dangerously drinkable for 14%. It was really well balanced...not boozy or hot at all.

Bomb has been fairly easy to come by, but Pirate Bomb is impossible to find. I only had a bottle because I traded for it. That being said, my favorite rum barrel aged stout is still Avery Black Eye...holy shit that was a booze bomb

Went to Swamp Head brewery recently. Excellent stuff. I had a chocolate orange milk stout called Udderly Calm, and a barrel aged imperial IPA.
Last night I went to Orlando brewing and had the Blackwater dry porter, an organic grapefruit pale ale, and their Hopgasmic west coast 90 minute IPA. All fantastic. Liked this 90 minute more than Dogfish Head's.

had a San Diego day yesterday. First stop was Lost Abbey to pick up my two bottles of Veritas, their annual limited edition sour beer. Got a taster of it. Delicious. Nice and apricot-y and funky. Afterwards, went to Toolbox Brewing, a new brewery that primarily does Brett beers (dry and funky). They've only been open for a year but their stuff was pretty good.

After Toolbox, my buddy and I went to Pizza Port Carlsbad. I'm such a homer for Pizza Port. Their pizza is fucking amazing, and their house beers and ridiculous. So fucking good. Ended the day at The Bruery where we picked up our four bottles of Chocolate Rain.

no beer for me today...we'll see

Does anyone have a guideline as to what beers to drink in what order, in regards to your palate changing with each beer?

I really only stick to hops, but in the rare occasion Id like to switch it up, id like to know what would compliment my wrecked palate before/after my hoppy goodness.

Theres gotta be a chart somewhere or something....

There should be I'm sure haha. I usually start with something hoppy, then go to a stout or the like (brown ale, sour, farmhouse), and then back to hoppy. Not a very sophisticated system but it works for me!

from what I've been told, hoppy beers should be saved for the end because of the amount of hop oil. Hoppy beers tend to give you palate fatigue (or wreck your palate). If I'm having three beers, and I have a choice, it typically goes IPA - Belgian - Stout or the opposite. Saisons, wits, lagers, and pilsners make great palate cleansers.

or just drink all IPAs