Beer

XcRPthf.jpg

bottled 2/26/15. Smells kind of funky, but not in a good way. Might just be infected.

I guess I'll be kind enough to show you my yesterday's tastings. I tried three different lagers from three different fancy-trendy EU breweries. As I come from czech republic, I've had many different lagers and I basically grew up on pilsners. The point is, these were around 100czk per 0,33l while usually I can get a pint of czech lager on tap for 1 dollar.

So, the first one was Mikkeller - I Will Call This Piece... Lager. They basically tried to make an average eurolager and succeeded. I just don't really see a point in this I guess. Eurolager for a Mikkeller price and a fancy artwork.

IMG_20170114_190821.jpg

Another one was Brewdog's Kingpin. I was very disappointed in this. I think it might be old as I smelled some foul hop aromas and even notes of vegetables, but on the other hand, age shouldn't matter to lagers as much.. I just didn't like this.

IMG_20170114_194413.jpg

The third one was the winner. A To Øl Raid Beer. One of my favorite breweries. Even this was nice and the can is looking fancy as fuck. I still can get a comparable beer in Czech republic for 1/5 the price.

IMG_20170114_195628.jpg

Conclusion: Even though our microbrew scene is young and still has shit to learn about fancy ales and sours and stuff like that, there's no need to go for lagers from fancy breweries outside.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
If we go back a little, there's more stuff. An Ukrainian fellow opened a little beerplace not far from my home. I visited him a couple times and tried some dark ales.

First a Harviestoun Old Engine Oil. I liked it a lot. It was nice and dry, very drinkable.

IMG_20170112_213933.jpg

But then I had a MIkkeller that I have to recommend to everybody. Perfect, a different league to most porters I've had. There was something more in the smell like figs or dried fruits and stuff like that, tasted perfect. Bomb beer.

IMG_20170112_215901.jpg

Another time I was there I had to check out the imperial version of the Harviestoun porter. It was more alcoholy and unfortunately more sweet and the dryness of the regular one was missing. Both were good but I would probably go for the regular one if I had to choose.

aviary-image-1484334618993.jpeg

Then somthing for the US fellas. Stone Xocoveza from Berlin. Fuck there's a lot of stuff in this beer. I guess it's what beergeeks call layered.

IMG_20170113_203327.jpg

Stone :kickass:

Still one of the best breweries in socal. Top 3 easily.

Also a fan of Sierra Nevada but not sure they can ever top their Torpedo IPA for me. I've stopped all branching out in their varieties I love it so much.

View attachment 8643 Got a few 4 packs of these bad boys markdowned from my work for like 2.99 usd Back Home brewery out of LA Gingerbread Stout sweet but not too sweet taste and with an abv of 8.5% it packs a powerful punch.
ugh because drinking and posting sometimes doesn't mix the brewery is actually called golden road and yes I will make a special trip to the fucking bookmobile soon (sigh).

Fuck you all you fucking faggots.

Thanks.

I had some beers, and here they are.

First is the Anosteké saison, an award winning saison from France. A very fine example of what Belgian yeast can produce. You will surely notice the original glass and shit.

IMG_20170204_133314.jpg

The I tried the Harviestoun Ola Dubh 12. I've had the Engine Oil and the Engineer's Reserve and was intrigued enough to start with these barrel aged ones. The finish on this was something amazing. Whiskey and sherry notes for like a minute after you swallow. Fuck this was good.

IMG_20170204_140021.jpg

Then the owner of the beer bar recommended me a french barley wine that I went with and it was very fucking solid.

IMG_20170204_144236.jpg

IMG_20170204_145729.jpg

Now I'm drunk and I have some To Ols in the fridge.

Reactions: KMADD
01748B8E-323B-4964-93FE-C92BEAF4D624.jpg Oh haiz! It's been a minute I'm just sitting here at the black circle brewing company enjoying a very delicious glass of toasted coconut porter. Finally a new craft porter/stout that doesn't taste like fucking coffee! 6.3 % abv not sure about the ibu

Reactions: Krow
Onder you drink so many beers wtf. Does Czech just have a huge selection or what

I'm just a common drunk. But there's many places emerging that sell cool beer. The scene is growing and I live right in the center of Prague so yeah, I have everything around the corner.

Cammy, cheers to Xocoveza btw. :)

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
The main problem is the distance between here and California or New England and such. It's impossible to get a fresh US beer here and I'm not really a traveller. It warms my heart when I see you guys drinking the same beer.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
I never thought of the beers freshness being compromised when shipped overseas. That is definitely interesting! I saw Pilsner Urkels at a bodega near my friend's apartment... I had no idea but apparently Bud Light is considered a Pilsner. I just think Czech when I see Pilsner urkel. I don't mind them they are very easy to drink.

This beer is super yummy. Not that much alcohol but it sort of tastes like a strawberry soda. IMG_8165.JPG