Beer

Wow, DFH Olde School is something else. Great beer. As far as barleywines go, this is the best I've had. The thing about Bigfoot is that if I want an IIPA, I can go and get one. Olde School is all about fruity malt flavors, with a big-but not bitter-hop presence. It's boozy at 15%, but $5 a single is not a bad price, really.

I also had the Aventinus Eisbock tonight. Good, but not as amazing as I had hoped. I liked it though, but $5 a 11.2 oz. bottle is a little pricey.

I got a 4 pack of that Olde School. I still have two left. It was only like $15 for all four at BevMo here in Tucson. It's is pretty good, but there is something about it that keeps me from loving it. I think it's the boozy flavor.

The thing about Bigfoot for me, is that it has all I like from an IIPA, but adds more malt sweetness than your typical IIPA. Therefore I like it better than a number of I/IPAs.

I still think the most tasty, more classic barleywine that I have had is Stone's Old Guardian.

the other night I went to this bar in Redondo Beach that is my new heaven. They had the 2005 Old Guardian on tap. For a pint, it was only five bucks. I was in hog heaven. Four years of aging had way mellowed it out, and the caramel and malt flavors were just bursting. It was real tasty

meh, the chimay line is ok, but there is better beer out there. especially in the trappist category
~gR~

Chimay Blue is worth every penny; the others are a little overpriced, generally.

I'm having Okocim Porter tonight. Outstanding value at $1.79 for a 500 ml. From 7-11 no less. You realize how great a price this is compared to any Belgian or German beer of any quality. Very tasty, strong Baltic porter. I wish more US craft brewers would explore this style.

I figured Spring brews would be easily available by now but apparently not. I'm going to try a few other stores today for Sam Adams White Ale(Spring) because my local candystore doesn't have it in yet.

Haven't ever tried anything from Southern Tier. I'll have to look around.

The Lagunitas Glarly Wine was at a local place called Plaza Liquors. I looked at BevMo and Total Wine and More, and neither had it. Though it was a smaller BevMo, and not the main one I go to.

But while at Total Wine I found that they finally wised up and were carrying some Sierra Nevada Big Foot, and it was only 9.99 for a 6 pack. I got a couple. Should have got a whole case.

I have been curious about that Stone Belgian IPA. Sounds like an odd combo.

Southern Tier is probably my single favorite brewery. I would say so definitely if they started dating their beers. All of their products are excellent, if you're sure you can get them fresh. I had an Unearthly IIPA recently that was a malt bomb basically.

I bought a sixer of Bell's Hopslam for $15 tonight. It usually retails for a few dollars more, so I thought I was getting a good deal. It is a good beer, but DFH 90 Minute at the same age is much better, imo. Hopslam is remarkably hyped, but I wouldn't worry about it by now. I bet that it is excellent within a month of release however.

$9.99 seems the fair rate for Bigfoot. Even though I'm not in love with it, it's still a great deal for such a strong beer.

so the other week I went to my favorite bar and had a 2006 Bigfoot on tap...it was quite delicious. Really mellow. Also had a Floris Apple. It was really tasty! Tasted like pineapple and apple juice. My girlfriend wanted me to drink those instead haha.

I also got one of those Mr Beer kits for Christmas, so I finally got it out and made a batch today. It's the High Canadian one. It was pretty easy to do. Now it's sitting downstairs in my darkened "wine cellar"(spare room) with the other alcohol. Gonna give it 3 weeks to ferment, and we'll see how it tastes