Beer

Currently drinking a cool six pack of these:

Budvar_Budejovicky_L.jpg

I've heard BORIS is great, but it's like $10 a bomber. Might try sometime.

I had the Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier tonight. Massive disappointment, and maybe the worst beer I've had from them. I assumed I was going to get something that was either like Hoegaarden+blackberry flavor, or at worst Blue Moon+blackberry. It didn't remotely resemble a wit, being filtered and not cloudy at all. It was dominated by the berry flavor with little wheat or spicy flavor. Looked like a pale wheat ale. I'm normally pro-SA, but this was a poor try, and I normally am ok with fruit beers.

Had some Two Brothers' Cane and Ebel tonight. It's a hoppy red/rye, made with palm sugar. Delicious. When fresh on tap, it's one of the best beers I've ever had, if not the best. A decent point of reference is Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye. C&E is just packed with resinous piney hops, balanced out by the spicy rye flavor, and cane sugar sweetness. Very close to being a perfect beer.

I'm going to save my last two, and switch to Labatt Blue. It was only $4 for a 6x16 oz pack of cans. It might be the best macro lager. I've got some of the new krauesened Old Style, which is not too bad, and Northsiders kind of have to like Old Style.

^Love that Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye, and it's been reasonable priced around here.

Another good beer in the same neighborhood is Bittersweet Lennys R.I.P.A from HeBrews.

I picked up a 4-pack of Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron. It's a strong brown ale which takes some of its flavor from some special Palo Santo tree wood found in Paraguay. Anyway, it is pretty good. A heavy, sweet, very dark beer. 12% abv, with the alcohol flavor not being too overpowering. Very roasty malt flavor.

bought some beer today. havent had any in the house for a while...

breckenridge oatmeal stout (one of my favorites)
OatmealStout.jpg

bristol old no. 23 barley wine. my first barley wine. i havent opened one yet...
ole23_logo_small_1.gif

~gR~

bought some beer today. havent had any in the house for a while...

breckenridge oatmeal stout (one of my favorites)

Good brewery. I've had their ESB and IPA. Both were very tasty.

bristol old no. 23 barley wine. my first barley wine. i havent opened one yet...

~gR~

Haven't tried this. Love the style. Let us know what you think.

i like it! i dont have to compare it to though. its got an obvious hop taste, but it's still sweet. and at over 11% abv, packs a bit of a punch

if you can get ahold of it, i would. but they dont usually distro out of CO
~gR~

i like it! i dont have to compare it to though. its got an obvious hop taste, but it's still sweet. and at over 11% abv, packs a bit of a punch

if you can get ahold of it, i would. but they dont usually distro out of CO
~gR~

Sounds about right for the style. I will keep an eye out.

I just had a Beamish (Irish stout) with a shot of Jagermeister added, in an attempt to add a little sweetness to this flat, dry beer.

^That night I had a dream that was like a horror movie. I never have those type of dreams. I wasn't scared or anything. It was pretty awesome. I think I'll try that drink again!

Yesterday I went to the discount grocery store and they had some Big Sky winter beer called Powder Hound for $4.99 a six-pack. It's a pretty good brew. Somewhat dark with a bit of bitterness and hops. 6.2% abv. Since it was good, I went back and got a case.

My beer fridge is getting pretty full. I have been stocking up, but not drinking often.

I have:
3 sixers of SN Bigfoot
4.5 sixers of Powder Hound
3 bottles of Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron
1 bottle of Dogfish Head Olde School barleywine
1 bottle of Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball
1 bomber of Lagunitas Olde Gnarleywine
Some Bud and Bud Select (yuk)
3 16 oz cans of Beamish
1 six of Genesee Cream Ale

^Good haul. You really like your barleywines. I thought the DFH one was very nice.

I was out at the Map Room this week. Had a fresh Avery Maharaja. Really good IIPA. Smooth at over 10%. They had the Aecht Schlenkerla Fastenbier, which was a smoky Lenten beer. Pretty tasty.

Goose Island also released a new line of beers in bombers recently. I had the Sofie, which was a blend of two Belgian-style beers, one of which was aged in barrels with orange peel, which lent it a very nice tart aroma. Good beer, but kind of pricey, like the rest of the line. The Juliet was $16 for a bomber, for a Flemish-style red. Yikes.

Went out with a friend and drank some beers:

Aile Smoked Celtic Porter (ok smokey porter but kinda wimpy, should have tasted more of everything, a better similar beer is the swedish Nils Oscar Rökporter imo)
Westmalle Dubbel (really fruity, and really lovely)
Westmalle Tripel (good but I liked the dubbel more, the tripel didn't mask the strong alchohol percent as well as for example Rochfort 10)
Hantverksbryggeriet Kosacken (Never heard of it before I tried it, quite full bodied with nutty and coffee tones, balanced and good)
La Trappe Blond (Kinda disappointed, had heard good things about La Trappe, but maybe it is the dubbel and tripel that are talked about, need to try them too next)
Gulden Draak (this is the shit, even though it was my last beer for the evening and I was quite drunk it stood out. Really sweet caramel flavor smooth as fuck)

during my trip to DC/VA i didnt find a single good local beer. i was disappointed. however, i was ecstatic when i saw grimbergen on tap in an irish bar in DC's china town
~gR~