Beer

:kickass: Fortunate Islands is my go to Modern Times beer. And yeah, it's super juicy. Cheers!

Random pics from the last few days...
CIMG3928_zpswupdenua.jpg

CIMG3925_zpsrabmg1wz.jpg

CIMG3931_zpswald6hlz.jpg

Same. Fortunate Islands is just a go-to beer for me period. Their Black House on nitro is also fucking tits. I have a major hardon for Modern Times

I also have a major hardon for Beachwood's week long sour fest. Today I got to bask in the leftovers of Crooked Stave night. Flor d'Lees was absolutely amazing. A light, straw colored sour ale with super bright and tart acidity. I could drink 20 of them. Nightmare on Brett aged in Leopold Bros whiskey barrels was another highlight. It reminded me a lot of Russian River's Consecration. Dark, winey, and just a sexy sour beer. So good. In the past year, Crooked Stave has become one of my favorite (sour) breweries. They just hit the nail on the head. Even their shelf beers are fucking killer (especially Vielle and the St Bretta series).

Saturday is Shelton Brothers night. Cantillon, 3 Fonteinen Framboos, Jester King, Hill Farmstead...it's gonna be a shitshow. Can't wait

New Belgium Brewing's Cigar City Collaboration Ale is surprisingly good. I was lucky to find it in a store that I visit occasionally. Too bad that they couldn't come up with a better name for the beer.

Good call on Libertine. I joined their Society for next year. They put out some fantastic sour beer. I feel like I've had so much goddamn beer this week. Yesterday was Shelton Brothers day at both Beachwood locations. Had the following:
Cantillon Iris (10 oz)
Cantillon Kriek (10 oz)
Jester King Boxer's Revenge (5 oz)
Jester Kinger Das Uberkind (5 oz)

The Iris was fucking great. Kriek was okay. The Jester King beers were somewhat disappointing, which sucks because I love Jester King.

Today, I'm going to one of my favorite local breweries, Phantom Carriage. They're having a bring-your-own vinyl day, and the owners are big metalheads. So I'm brining Thantifaxath, Drudkh, and Agalloch (one of the owner's favorites). Looking forward to it

Damn, sounds awesome.

btw Koger I agree that Cantillon kriek is just okay. Not sure what it was, but something about it wasn't doing it for me.

yeah. I'd take Rose de Gambrinus over the Kriek...regardless, I would MUCH rather have 3 Fonteinen kriek. Their schaerbeekse kriek is one of my all time favorites. Then again, I prefer 3F anyway

I'll say I've never had the porter and I tend to be a sucker for peanut butter in my beer so it could be a winner.

Spending the night at my homebrew buddy's house and brewing a grisette tomorrow, to be eventually aged in a bourbon barrel with lacto and a newly-introduced Brett culture (probably an Omega Labs one)! Should be fun stuff. Tonight, we split a bunch of stuff...

Kent Falls Shower Beer, a gose with lime zest... juicy and tangy with the slight salty bite expected from a gose. I assume this was intended to be a little like a margarita but <5% ABV. Kent Falls is definitely on my radar, though. At Zwanze Day, we tried a sample of a friend's glass of their Coffeemaker, a Brett coffee IPA, which was insanely good. Dry, funky, lots of coffee flavors and just the right amount of neutral (yet satisfying) bitterness. Hoping to check more from them soon.

PvT1HS5.jpg

Otter Creek/Lawson's Finest Liquids Double Dose... this is the third year in a row I've had DD and I still feel that it is a great DIPA but slightly under the mark of what it could be. At this point, seeking out and buying at least one bottle of Double Dose is more a ritualistic undertaking than a truly enjoyable beer experience and that is both cool and disappointing. I feel privileged to be able to acquire such a highly-rated and well-received beer, but also a little bothered by its rather-apparent genericness. Seriously guys, this is just a super-bitter double IPA with some fancy, invisible "eliteness" attached to it. Very traditionally "West Coast" in its big, pine-y attack and a New England-y tropical citrus juiciness working its way ever-so-slowly through the depths. It's... good, and I will always buy at least one bottle when it's released, but if you can't/don't get Double Dose I wouldn't worry about it or trade for it unless you're really fiending for it in particular, or in order to get those sweet, sweet ticks (bleh).

Modern Times Lomaland and Blazing World. Granted, I have had both before, in the last week... but this was my first time splitting with friends. Impressions? Lomaland is very Belgian pale ale-ish to me. Doesn't feel much like a saison; too plain and low-alcohol to really pushy the farmhouse esters. It's good, though... but I had to think of it as a "Belgian single" instead of as a true "farmhouse" ale, if that makes sense. If not, fuck you. Blazing World is quite good, though not quite as "amber" as it advertised. Regardless, can we talk about how amazing that hop combo is? Nelson, Simcoe, Mosaic... damn. Lots of dank pine resin and tropical notes but also a bit of exotic berry and white wine thanks to the Nelsons. Damn... so good. Wish I bought more.

Glass Bottom Brewery Pu-erh Pale Ale. Yeah, an American style pale ale brewed with pu-erh tea! Fermented Chinese dark tea with a very mushroom-y/fungal, earthy quality, for those not in the know (my buddy calls it "swamp tea"). I have been a fan of this type of tea for a few years, but have only very rarely seen it in use in beer. This was weirdly good, actually. I'm not sure how they got it to work, but the tea lends a natural and seemless sweetness and complexity to the (assumedly) boring base beer. Definitely interesting, but I'd probably never buy it myself. This is what bombers are made for, though!

37vnveq.jpg

Captain Lawrence Golden Delicious... DAMN! Now this is craft beer. So, we apparently just got this in MA a few days ago and I'm just now having it for the first time. This is goddamn fantastic. For those who don't know, the base beer is apparently a tripel (Belgian golden ale with a decent amount of residual sugar, some spice notes from fermentation with certain yeasts as well as a rather-viscous mouthfeel) but it's then aged in American apple brandy barrels and dry-hopped with American hops. This is awesome. Tons of heady liquor in the nose and on the tongue, backed up by a huge tropical and stone fruit blast and finishing with a peppery spice and lots of ester notes. This is fucking fantastic. AND, at about $14 a 4-pack (it's 11% btw) it's not even a bad deal, per ounce anyway. Gotta buy more of this and hoping to get more weird Captain Lawrence shit soon! EXCITING.

CHEERS! Hopefully keep this thread up to date about our brewing process tomorrow.

@V5: Nice notes.

I picked up Stone Enjoy by 10.31.2015, Dogfish Head/Sierra Nevada Rhizing Bines and Terrapin The Walking Dead Blood Orange IPA to hopefully enjoy soon.