Beer

Glad to see this get bumped.

I've got my reviews posted here. http://beeradvocate.com/user/beer_reviews?ba=ommegoose

Did a few tonight when I picked up crappy cans of Euro macros. The one wasn't too bad. I was just bored and reviewing to have something to do.

Recently I really liked Allagash Interlude. Expensive but amazingly complex and delicious. Had a St. Bernardus Abt 12 the other day, which is a sure winner as well, but again, maybe more expensive than it's worth.

@Cythraul: Try the Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen if you haven't yet. It's my favorite Hefeweizen so far, although I've only had a sip or two of the Ayinger one.

@Cythraul: Try the Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen if you haven't yet. It's my favorite Hefeweizen so far, although I've only had a sip or two of the Ayinger one.

That one is actually next on my list. I've heard great things about it. I've had their Kristallweizen but it didn't do much for me (I'm not really a big fan of Kristallweizen in general anyway).

I have recently had to stop drinking Guiness. I don't know if it is even more evidence of my advancing years, but after a night on the black stuff I am now experiencing excrutiating headachey hangovers and extremely sloppy shits. I have always had the runs after a good beer session, but this now leads to dry retching of the anus. Why this is, I dont know.

However, heed this advice: never drink Guiness and eat peanuts.

The next day you'll be giving birth to a barbed-wire baby.

Ayinger Bräu Weisse - This is probably the best weiss bier I've had so far.

This is a great Weißbier indeed, one of the best, but not very well known. You can not go wrong with the popular ones Franziskaner or Erdinger either.

Generally I prefer bottom-fermented beer, Helles, Lager (Pils), Export. There are so many good ones, hard to say which is best. Living in Munich area I can say Augustiner is good, Löwenbräu is terrible. Many inbewteen.

I also find "beer-drinking-culture" interesting. For example, in the US you don´t only chill the beer, but also the glasses, they are sometimes frosted. The US beer is not that bad that you need to kill the flavor by chilling :p . In Japan you get small glasses and share the bottles beteen everybody. You only pour for the others, not for yourself. Nice tradition. For non-Germans/ Bavarians the beerhall / beergarten / 1L stein tradition is unique. Whereby: only the tourists order the 1L steins, locals order 1/2 litre.
:kickass::kickass::kickass:

Ayinger Bräu Weisse - This is probably the best weiss bier I've had so far. Franziskaner was probably my favorite up until this point, but this lacks a lot of the citrusy, fruity flavor of a Franziskaner which is fine by me. Highly recommended.

i'll have to check that out. i like a good, non fruity, weiss beer
~gR~

I also find "beer-drinking-culture" interesting. For example, in the US you don´t only chill the beer, but also the glasses, they are sometimes frosted. The US beer is not that bad that you need to kill the flavor by chilling :p . In Japan you get small glasses and share the bottles beteen everybody. You only pour for the others, not for yourself. Nice tradition. For non-Germans/ Bavarians the beerhall / beergarten / 1L stein tradition is unique. Whereby: only the tourists order the 1L steins, locals order 1/2 litre.
:kickass::kickass::kickass:
I'll ask for non-frosted glasses at places that I know serve beer like that. It's irritating, especially as beer from the tap is already colder than I prefer, and I usually have to wait for it to warm for a few minutes. The frosted glass thing is more common at trendy bars or sports bars. Good beer bars know better, and dives don't bother.

Frosted glasses make your beer taste so much better. I have a variety of pint glasses (which I stole from the local bar hehe) that are in my freezer at all times. Nothing like a frosty Hoegaarten!

Colder beer is absolutely a bad thing. Colder beer dulls your taste buds, preventing you from tasting the beer, which is a problem when you are drinking good beer. Colder beer is also less fragrant, again, something to avoid with quality beer.

You've been brainwashed by too many Coors commercials. Cold beer just masks bad flavors and aromas.

A couple beers I've been sipping on tonight:

Tap Room No. 21 Moe's Backroom Lager - I saw this at the supermarket tonight and had never heard of it before so I decided to make a blind purchase and get it. Very, very disappointing. This stuff is extremely bland. No flavor, no character at all. Definitely not bad by bmc standards but just not good at all by any higher standard. Not recommended at all.

New Belgium 1554 Black Ale - I quite like this stuff. I love the slight chocolately flavor and creaminess of this one. I don't know how well this emulates Belgian style beers since I've never had a Belgian beer but I can say that I'll definitely be picking up more of this in the future.

Colder beer is also less fragrant, again, something to avoid with quality beer.

I wish I could appreciate the aroma of a good beer but I have a terrible sense of smell. I think my cigarette smoking has ruined it. I always wonder what possibilities of taste and smell would await me if I were to quit smoking (which I should do very soon).