Be'lakor - Aussie Opeth worship

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
The search revealed a thread about the band wanting to play progpower so they've been mentioned here fleetingly. They have a new album out. It's not my cup of tea but I'm sure a few people here will be into them.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOHdA7KCDHo&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

I'd compare Be'lakor to Insomnium far more than Opeth...there are some hints of influence from Opeth, but the comparison to Insomnium is much more obvious. Either way, the new material sounds like a step up and I'm looking forward to hearing the whole album.

While there are no doubt individual elements that can be compared either Opeth or Insomnium, the album as a whole, at least in my humble opinion, stands alone - at the very top of all metal works of all time.

No kidding - I wrote something along those lines on Friday after just 2 listens, and today, after several more, I fully stand by that opinion. It will be a long time before this is topped.

Love 'em, the new album sounds fantastic, I just wish their CDs were easier to find in the states, even my best sources for imports have been coming up either empty or way, way too expensive.

And I'll echo the Insomnium comparison, there's some Opeth similarities in there, but Opeth rarely achieved that kind of atmosphere even at their best moments.

As for ProgPower, it would be cool to see. I wonder how many people would be into it, but then again, we've had Isahn, Forbidden, and Solution .45 come up recently, so nothing's out of the question!

I'd compare Be'lakor to Insomnium far more than Opeth...there are some hints of influence from Opeth, but the comparison to Insomnium is much more obvious. Either way, the new material sounds like a step up and I'm looking forward to hearing the whole album.
While I would say that Be'lakor has more in common with Insomnium than Opeth, I would also note that Be'lakor is far more diverse than Insomnium.

I'm really digging the new disc. A definite top 10 contender.

I came across these guys recently via facebook and like them a lot, which is not a surprise since I am a big Insomnium fan. Been waiting on buying the cd due to the high price tag, but will probably pick it up soon. In the meantime, I've been listening on Spotify!

While I would say that Be'lakor has more in common with Insomnium than Opeth, I would also note that Be'lakor is far more diverse than Insomnium.

I'm really digging the new disc. A definite top 10 contender.
After giving the disc several spins, I agree on all points. I wouldn't say the diversity is any better or worse than Insomnium (I'll admit, I'm a massive Insomnium fan), but it sets Be'lakor apart from the standard melodeath mold. I had checked out a few songs here and there in the past but it didn't quite click. This new album really struck a chord with me, I'm tremendously impressed and will be revisiting their other work.

I listened again to Stone's Reach. While it definitely draws influence from certain aspects of Opeth's MAYH/SL period, it ignores other components of their style, and incorporates enough that's unique, that they shouldn't be categorized as "Opeth worship". They are definitely one of the better Death Metal bands out there, and their two last discs should be investigated by anyone interested in such a style.

I listened again to Stone's Reach. While it definitely draws influence from certain aspects of Opeth's MAYH/SL period, it ignores other components of their style, and incorporates enough that's unique, that they shouldn't be categorized as "Opeth worship". They are definitely one of the better Death Metal bands out there, and their two last discs should be investigated by anyone interested in such a style.

Oh so very much agreed. I think it is arguable that influences of some kind can be heard in just about any band - but I really cannot readily claim that I hear anyone's sound reproduced on either of the last two CDs.

I have a playlist with just these two CDs in it, and keep listening to 8-10 songs each day - and have done so for 2 weeks. I have yet to be the least bit bored, and still discover new gems every day.

Come to think of it - it is now Be'lakor time. Cheers.

I have been catching back up on the Opeth catalogue, starting with Orchids. I am to Blackwater Park, and still do not hear anything but influences here and there that may be 'hearable' in Be'lakor's music.

All three Be'lakor albums have taken over my playlists, and get at least 50% of daily attention - they are all that good. I can and will say this with a straight face - even Opeth often pales against the melodies, hooks, and riffs found there.

I have been catching back up on the Opeth catalogue, starting with Orchids. I am to Blackwater Park, and still do not hear anything but influences here and there that may be 'hearable' in Be'lakor's music.
While I disagree with the "Opeth worship" comments, there is no doubt the influence is there.

I can and will say this with a straight face - even Opeth often pales against the melodies, hooks, and riffs found there.
The straight face I can understand. What I'm curious about, is the crack pipe in your left hand or your right? :loco:

The straight face I can understand. What I'm curious about, is the crack pipe in your left hand or your right? :loco:

I firmly believe in the double-fisted approach!

Let me see if I can explain what I meant by that short comment: There is no doubt that Opeth offers unbelievable melodies, hooks, riffs - everything one hopes for in progressive melodic metal. However, the complexity and length of the average Opeth offering make those features much more difficult to grab on to - they are there, but there may be minutes between those truly memorable riffs.

Be'lakor condense their music into still lengthy and progressive offerings, but they have a real knack for figuring out when a melody has had its time, and they promptly move on to the next one, often with a very memorable hook or riff to change the mood. This results in 3, 4, even 5 melodies and interludes in the time allotted to the song.

Both are awesome to behold - and I am not knocking Opeth in any way, as I find their song-writing to be second to none. However, if you only have 8 minutes to truly focus, instead of 13, Be'lakor delivers in abundance.

I firmly believe in the double-fisted approach!
Nice. :kickass:

Both are awesome to behold - and I am not knocking Opeth in any way, as I find their song-writing to be second to none. However, if you only have 8 minutes to truly focus, instead of 13, Be'lakor delivers in abundance.
I see where you're coming from. I must admit, I was listening to Of Breath and Bone a few weeks ago and thought to myself, "Why am I just not listening to Still Life?" I queued up Still Life and was reminded of all its splendor.

Be'lakor is a very good band, and they're growing on me all the time. I just don't put them in league with Opeth. But as always, to each their own. Thanks for the longer explanation.

Be'lakor is a very good band, and they're growing on me all the time. I just don't put them in league with Opeth.

My comment here will bring us full circle - and based on your posts above, I think you will agree with me:

There really is no putting anyone else in Opeth's league - and I certainly didn't mean to do that, even thoigh it can easily be read that way. Opeth are really quite unique, especially if seen very narrowly (as in specific sound from each instrument, vocals, song writing and structure, etc.). If viewed in that light, Be'lakor may show certain Opeth influences, but are their own masters in many of the precise details. Come to think of it, on their first CD I hear several Iron Maiden references - but done in their own way, which I really enjoy.

I like Be'lakor for what they do - and no one does it just like them. The exact same can and should be said of almost every other band, outside of self-professed cover bands.

Fun discussion - and I know we agree that Be'Lakor are worthy of our attention. Nuff said.