Best bands with female vocalists

Hawk said:
Yep thats basicly it. It not that I explicity don't like female metal singers, it's just that every time I hear a metal band with a female metal singer it just does not click with me.
I have the same problem. I love Lacuna Coil, it's great atmospheric metal, but other than them and some of Evanescence there haven't been any metal bands with female vocals that hit me. Doro has a really good voice and is a super nice lady too, but the songwriting could be a lot better. :Smug:

Bryant

I prefer Warlock over her solo stuff (which is solely the follow-up to Warlock btw), still Doro recorded some good songs in the 90s, "The Fortuneteller" and "Kiss Me Like a Cobra" come to my mind.
More important, she still kicks some serious ass live, the last tour with Saxon was pure Metal fun! I have nothing but respect for her long career.

Fangface said:
I prefer Warlock over her solo stuff (which is solely the follow-up to Warlock btw), still Doro recorded some good songs in the 90s, "The Fortuneteller" and "Kiss Me Like a Cobra" come to my mind.
More important, she still kicks some serious ass live, the last tour with Saxon was pure Metal fun! I have nothing but respect for her long career.
She is still cute as hell too. I saw her about three or four years ago with Dio and Meatloaf..... I mean Yngwie. >:p~

Bryant

Reviving this old thread mostly due to the fact that I have changed my taste in female vocals since I posted here.

Rock Goddess
Warlock
Crystal Viper
A Sound Of Thunder
Girlschool
Mary's Blood
Acid
Blood Ceremony
Chastain
Hellcats
Jess And The Ancient Ones
Brain Surgeons NYC
Znowhite
Crucified Barbara
Phantom Blue
Stos
Benedictum
The Oath
Death Penalty
Witchcryer
Hellion
Lordian Guard
Mindmaze
Satanic Rites
Sentinel Beast
Sister Sin
Valkija
Crystal Tears
Volnaya Staya

I recommend also Stormwind's "Stargate" is a good album with female fronted vocals and Tanith's "In Another Time" (mix of female and male vocals done great).

This thread is older than youtube. Decided to remove some defunct links in my ancient posts. Having a look at the bands I've mentioned way back then, there are a few I haven't listened to since then and perhaps might never listen to again (simply because the music doesn't appeal to me anymore). What I can say is that my favourite female-fronted Thrash Metal bands from the eighties are still

Détente
Sacrilege
Znowhite

There are only very few new bands I really like which I have discovered since then, but nowadays I usually need less than one hand to count the number of metal albums I buy each year. The good thing about this is: I can listen to them more often than I could 30 years ago when I bought about 10 times as many.

As regards my "new" discoveries (the oldest of them is from 2005!), my - by far - overall favourite is Lovebites. I wouldn't have thought that I'd ever discover an "Old School" Metal band from this century I'd like (at least) as much as my favourite (mostly Thrash) Metal bands from the eighties. I even enjoy those of their songs which are played in the style of very popular bands I never really cared about.

At no. 2, I'll put Stolen Babies especially because of their debut "There Be Squabbles Ahead" which even after 14 years, I haven't gotten tired of listening to regularly. (I do understand why some people might not want to call this Metal and most people on this subforum probably wouldn't like their music, but I don't care.)

No. 3 are my oldest new discovery (since my last post in this thread), Midnattsol, especially because of their album "Nordlys", though thinking about it, it's perhaps a draw between them and Avatarium (well, at least Avatarium's debut which IMO is still their best, followed by "Hurricanes and Halos").

No. 4 are the Belgian (not Old School) Doom Metal band Bathsheba, who unfortunately only released one album titled "Servus". One of the reasons why I like this album very much is that the vocals of their singer sometimes remind me of those of Dawn Crosby (R.I.P.) on Fear of God's "Within the Veil". The same goes for the dark atmosphere of the songs.

As a Thrash Metal fan, I found Mortillery from Canada very enjoyable (listened to them a lot in my car), though on their third and so far last album, the vocals were sometimes too extreme for my taste.

I also liked Mystik's eponymously titled debut from 2019, mostly the faster-paced songs.

Finally, Ava Inferi should also be mentioned. A bit heading in the direction of the first two releases by The 3rd and the Mortal, though heavier, but without being able to reach the same level of intensity or creating the same atmosphere.

I so agree with Janet Gardner, her voice is still amazing to me.. I'm wondering why there is no The Iron Maidens. I think they all are great players and musicians. I also love Dodo's vocals. I need to check out some of these others listed.

I'm wondering why there is no The Iron Maidens. I think they all are great players and musicians.

Maybe because they're a cover band, but I agree about their musical skills and can testify they put a great live show.

oh wow, I never thought about that... it makes a lot of sense amyway, yeah they are good musicians.. I'd love to see them live, they just came through Houston but I did't know they were here til tooooo late.

Reactions: Wyvern
Reactions: Goodman
Nice thread. To be honest I like female vocals waaaaayyy more than male vocals. You guys have named some great bands (solo artists) so far. I have been kinda just watching this thread to see what bands would be mentioned before posting, the one band I didn't think anoyone else would like (or know) was Meanstreak and I'll be damned if Burkhard didn't list them! Nice!!! And to top it off 2 people listed Rock Goddess.... digging deep into the metal archives for that one!! But no one mentioned Girlschool!!!

Here's a few not mentioned so far (I think)===

Girlschool
Lee Aaron
Blacklace
Cherry Bombz
Sentinel Beast
Acid
Baby Animals
The Runaways
The Nymphs (Inger Lorre)
Lullacry
Megace

One of my all time favorite female singers is Maria McKee of Lone Justice (they're not metal of course).

And then there is my all time favorite band EVER of any genre, hands down the best band of all times (IMO) .... Concrete Blonde..... I don't know why but Johnette's voice stops me dead in my tracks. Her voice is just huge!! I'm sure most of you guys wouldn't like them, but I can't live without them. :)

Yes the Nymphs, excellent choice. Inger was a goddess to me. Also wanted to add
Princess Pang (although they were glam metal)
And Leather Angel (they only put out 1 ep before changing members and band name)

I used to be into Phantom Blue. Great group of female musicians, I do recall Saraya & the singer was pretty good too.

PB is a great call. I met Linda McDonald some years ago when touring with The Iron Maidens. One hot babe.