Female vocalists in bands

I LOVE Nightwish and Lacuna Coil.
I also really like Blackmore's Night and Arch Enemy.
And recently I've been getting into Within Temptation and Leaves' Eyes. (Fuck yes!) :headbang:
Fucking awesome stuff, I'll have to check out some more bands. I might check out some of your list TSO.

Igor_Cavalera said:
I LOVE Nightwish and Lacuna Coil.
I also really like Blackmore's Night and Arch Enemy.
And recently I've been getting into Within Temptation and Leaves' Eyes. (Fuck yes!) :headbang:
Fucking awesome stuff, I'll have to check out some more bands. I might check out some of your list TSO.

Actually, I forgot two very important female fronted bands, Igor. If you haven't already, check into After Forever and Epica...both bands are beauty and the beast goth...clean chick singer, with occasional spurts of the male growler.

Flowing Tears transcends the gap between the styles of Evanescence and Lacuna Coil, but with a sound all their own. The thing I like about their album Razorbliss is the versatility of the songs. So many goth bands have a problem with their song sounding all alike. Flowing Tears is above average in that category.

Cruachan also comes highly recommended from me if you like Irish folk. During their mellow parts they sound alot like Blackmore's Night. The heavy parts are well written, much like the mellow parts, but the only drawback is they use a punk tone to their guitars...but it's old school riffing all the way. I'd suggest looking into The Middle Kingdom.

Ambeon is one of the greatest pieces of music ever created, but it's not metal in any way. It's slow ambient goth music with a singer who will melt your heart.

Magenta is also one of the best albums I've heard of late, but it is also not metal. It is more like progressive rock, but the songwriting is so above average that I often put it in when I'm in a mellow mood.

Edenbridge, Dreams of Sanity, Artrosis and many others on my list are an acquired taste I think. I didn't like them at first but they really grew on me.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Edenbridge, Dreams of Sanity, Artrosis and many others on my list are an acquired taste I think. I didn't like them at first but they really grew on me.
Since you like Dreams Of Sanity, have you already tried Soulslide (who feature former DoS-vocalist Sandra Schleret)? You can download one full-length song from their official website. They sound a bit like a heavier and slightly straighter version of Dreams Of Sanity.
I also highly recommend The Third And The Mortal´s first two releases "Sorrow" and "Tears Laid In Earth" (if you don´t already know them).
And if you get bored and want to try something really original, check out Atrox´ albums "Contentum", "Terrestrials" and "Orgasm". There are some mp3´s from these albums in the "MORE MP3´S"-section on their official website! (They definitely are an acquired taste.)

Burkhard said:
Since you like Dreams Of Sanity, have you already tried Soulslide (who feature former DoS-vocalist Sandra Schleret)? You can download one full-length song from their official website. They sound a bit like a heavier and slightly straighter version of Dreams Of Sanity.
I also highly recommend The Third And The Mortal´s first two releases "Sorrow" and "Tears Laid In Earth" (if you don´t already know them).
And if you get bored and want to try something really original, check out Atrox´ albums "Contentum", "Terrestrials" and "Orgasm". There are some mp3´s from these albums in the "MORE MP3´S"-section on their official website! (They definitely are an acquired taste.)
Well, thank you Burkhard, I certainly appreciate your advisement on these bands (I've noticed you listen to alot of obscure european bands that no one here has every heard of). I only dabble in goth so I've only got a little of it, maybe 20 albums. I'm not in the mood for it often, so I don't spend a lot of money on goth or ambient music (what I mean by ambient is like Dargaard).

I've heard 3rd and the Mortal before and I do like them. Haven't bought any yet.

I wasn't aware that the DoS singer had a new band. I checked out that mp3 and it sounds very good for the most part. Only thing I don't like about the song are those occasional noisy distorted bass drum blasts. I adore Sandra's voice though. She is godly...or should I say goddessly? :worship:

As for Atrox, that stuff is all over the place in style. The first song I dl'd was like thrash/goth and the next two were complex prog/goth. I kinda like it! I'll check out the rest of their songs in the coming days.

Thanks again for your help

Well, thank you Burkhard, I certainly appreciate your advisement on these bands (I've noticed you listen to alot of obscure european bands that no one here has every heard of). I only dabble in goth so I've only got a little of it, maybe 20 albums.
I´ve even less. The only releases in my collectin which I would consider "goth" are "Sorrow" and "Tears Laid In Earth" by The Third And The Mortal. (But it´s probably a question of how you define a certain style. The only important question IMO is: Do I like it?)
I've heard 3rd and the Mortal before and I do like them. Haven't bought any yet.
Do you remember which songs you´ve heard? Because just like The Gathering, they´ve changed their style quite drastically over the years.
As for Atrox, that stuff is all over the place in style. The first song I dl'd was like thrash/goth and the next two were complex prog/goth. I kinda like it! I'll check out the rest of their songs in the coming days.
If you get along with Monika´s vocals (which a lot of people don´t), you should also try Tactile Gemma´s eponymously-titled album. It´s not metal, but you might appreciate it as well. It was a project of former Atrox-guitarist Rune Sørgård, Monika Edvardsen and Monika´s sister Ann-Mari (who sang on The Third And The Mortal´s "Nightswan", "Painting On Glass" and "In This Room"), though most of the vocals are sung by Monika.
Thanks again for your help
:) You´re welcome!

Just a few more recommendations (if you don´t mind):
Check out the mp3s of Nemesea and Imperia on www.ebonytears.com in their "Music"-section. Since you mentioned Within Temptation in your list, you shouldn´t have any problems with Manda Ophuis´ (Nemesea) often high-register vocals which remind me a bit of Sharon. (There are also a few passages where she sounds a bit like her favourite vocalist Anneke van Giersbergen.) The music on Nemesea´s "Mana" is mostly a lot heavier and more up-tempo than Within Temptation´s recent album.

Finally, I´d like to recommend the Norwegian band Gåte. Unfortunately there aren´t any mp3s on their official website, but you can download the video-clip of "Bendik og Årolilja" (a song from their first album "Jygri") from their website and watch the clip of "Sjå attende" (from their current album "Iselilja") as streaming video. All of their songs are sung in different Norwegian dialects (you find a few English translations posted in the forum of their website) and most of them are of traditional origin, yet played with very "modern" arrangements. To avoid any wrong expectations: They are not a folk metal band, yet there are very strong rock influences, especially on their current album "Iselilja". Vocalist Gunnhild Sundli has a beautiful and also quite powerful voice.
And those who (also) like The Gathering´s more recent "mellow" stuff, might like Gåte´s song "Gjendines bånsull" (no idea where to find it on the net, though).

When I said "goth", I meant in the broadest way possible. I don't much like "labeling" music, but it is necessary for the sake of discussion. Goth to me is everything from Lacuna Coil to Dargaard.

I'm not sure where I heard 3rd and the Mortal...I think it was some site that had song samples that were beyond those lame 30 second ones on their website. I also have one short mp3 from Tears Laid In Earth.

I checked out that mp3 of Nemesea's and I really like that one! Also like the Gaate, or however you type it in English, because of the folk elements in it. I am of Norwegian heritage and somehow that Norse music really hits home for me on some level.

I'll listen to more of these bands as time and mood allows. Thanks so much, I've got a lead the next time I'm in a goth buying mood.

Also like the Gaate, or however you type it in English, because of the folk elements in it. I am of Norwegian heritage and somehow that Norse music really hits home for me on some level.
Some more recommendations of Norwegian artists/albums (yet not metal-related):
Kari Bremnes - anything (especially her albums "Løsrivelse" and "Svarta Bjørn")
Anne Vada/Aki Fukakusa - "Solrenning"
Lynni Treekrem - "Haugtussa"
Mari Boine - "Eallin", "Balvvoslatjna"

- Sorry, no links to mp3´s available here, but if you go to www.kkv.no and check the "Lytt og kjøp"-section (or "Listen and buy" in the English part of their website), you can listen to samples of all the songs from the albums just mentioned (except those of Mari Boine, because she is on another record label). OK, they are just samples, but maybe that´s better than nothing at all.

Since you like Gåte, you might also like their Swedish "pendant" Garmarna, especially their albums "Guds Spelemän" and "Vedergällningen". BTW, Garmarna will play a few concerts in the States this year. "Folkier" than Garmarna and also hailing from Sweden are Två Fisk Och En Fläsk. (There are some full-length mp3´s you can download from their website.) You should also try Gjallarhorn (though they are from Finland, most of their songs have got Swedish lyrics, and there´s also some cool digeridu-playing on some of the songs), Hedningarna (especially their album "Trä"; unfortunately there are no mp3´s on the website I mentioned) and Värttinä (from Finland). You might not like all of them, but listen for yourself (if possible) to find out.

Metal Dog said:
I really wanted to mention this band but didn't know how it would go down here but Shirley Manson is one of my all time favourites her voice kicks ass as well as her attitude. She's the closest thing to a heroine I have :worship: . Crystal have you heard their new single?

Hi Metal Dog
I cant say that i have heard gabage,s latest single, is it as good as their previous material? I will have to keep an eye open for that one maybe. do you know what the single is called?

crystal dawn

Hawk said:
Call me a sexist but there is only one metal band with a female vocalist that I like. And that is Arch Enemy.

I'm not too big into female vocalists either. That is why I made so few posts in this thread. : ( If we were talking about rock music, Stevie Nicks and Ann Wilson are two of the greatest ever man or woman, but I don't see anyone in their class in the metal world.

Bryant