Votes: 9 30.0%
  • night at the opera

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • twist in the myth

• at the edge of time

• Total voters
@teamventure Props for not feeding the trolls.

My pick is imaginations, but my second is actually A night at the opera. I realize many would disagree with that, but oh well.

My favorite is Tales from the Twilight World. It has some great songs with Lord of the Rings, Traveler in Time and Tommyknockers. Second choice would be Nightfall in Middle Earth and then A Twist in the Myth.

@teamventure Props for not feeding the trolls.

My pick is imaginations, but my second is actually A night at the opera. I realize many would disagree with that, but oh well.

thanks for the props. i think night at the opera is great musically. my only beef with it however is that it's exhausting to listen to ten layers of vocals for a whole album. other then that i think it's great.

Props on making a comparison between the greatness of Iron Maiden and Blind Guardian. Both are among the most overrated metal bands and both have a few nice albums early on and then they reduced themselves to making exclusively formulaic, overwrought fan service albums after that.

I don't see much comparison. Blind Guardian's first two albums were rudimentary speed metal, and they didn't really do anything of note until at least Somewhere Far Beyond. Maybe the last two could be described as "fan service" but up through A Night at the Opera they were at their creative peak. Iron Maiden, on the other hand, could have disappeared after Powerslave and still would have accomplished virtually everything they needed to.

I haven't heard them all but as far as I can tell they have nothing better than Follow the Blind.

so to keep the thread rolling did some of you not vote for nightfall because of all the interludes and how they interupt the flow of the album or because you think it doesn't have the best songs in general?

Battalions of Fear, Tales from the Twilight World, and Somewhere Far Beyond...not really sure on the order. Exceptional band though, through Nightfall, and only fags don't think so. They're one of few 'gateway' bands that are legitimately at the peak of their particular niche.

good observation. "one of the few gateway bands at the peak of their niche."
someone should expound on that.

It's tough, but my top 5 would have to be
1. Nightfall in Middle Earth
2. Somewhere Far Beyond
3. Tales from the Twilight World
4. Imaginations from the Other Side
5. A Twist in the Myth (I think it's better than most people say)