Best Decade in Rock Music

Best rock era

• Total voters
I will go with The 70s as the best decade for rock.The 60s is very good.The 80s it depends great decade for metal but for rock music it not really good.The 90s had a few great bands but most of it suck.The 00s has been the worst for rock music.

:lol: If i could choose a cross section I would say from 1965 to 1975 was the best years for rock music of all kinds:

Metal - Sabbath was born
Punk - Ramones, Iggy, NY dolls etc.
Classic - Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Doors, Zep, Clapton, Skynyrd etc.

1965-1975 was going to be my answer too. some artists from that time period who peaked during those years also:
cream
CSN(Y)
grateful dead
janis joplin
mountain
david bowie
deep purple

I's like to clarify a few things. Those that choose mid 60's- mid 70's made their choice for good reason and I would mostly agree but all the decades have had their good and the bad.

The 50's through to the Beatle invasion, I love that old RnR, Elvis, Holly, Lewis and the Sha na na type vocal groups.

60's Then came the Brit invasion, good bubble gum at its best, I wanna hold your hand... catchy but give me a break, Hermans Hermits, The Monkeys, The Association, all hold memorys for me from my adolescent age but no worse by comparision to all the pop that makes people say the 00's suck. The 60'also brought around the flower power music, Mamas and Popas and so much commercially aimed pop. Motown R&B love alot of that too but it was highly formulated just like what people bitch about today.

67-73/74 Jimi couldnt have come soon enough but even he released his fair amount of crap. The Who... same deal, The Guess Who, James Gang, Grand Funk, Zep, Purple, Cream, ect. broke doors open bringing harder edged rock to mainstream following the lead of Jimi and The Stones. However at the same time there was still some wanky assed pop bands releasing catchy songs for the domestics to love... again no different than today.

early 70's- sure guys like me had Zep, Heep, Purple, Tull, Floyd, Rush and Sabbath (who get way too much credit for "single handedly" creating a genre... which is TOTAL bullshit)

Whats I think is wrong for drawing the line at mid 70's. True this is when even the hard rock bands went lame or broke up, Zep mellowed, Uriah Heep and Alice Cooper got retarded, even Deep Purple lost it. Journey was totally commercialized wimpy hard rock subsititute. Disco took over, some talentless disfunctional punks got credit for some genre that at least called it for what it was. However at the same time Ted Nugent, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Rush were sticking to the old guns and pounding out some hard edged ass kicking rock, The Cars, The Police, Dire Straits and others came around offering up their own new twist. THe appeal of fusion spred to a larger audience and for those of us who liked a bit more to our music along with Rush we got Kansas, Dixie Dregs to aviod the disco that plagued the radio.

The 80's, what the hell is wrong with the 80's ? Heavy Metal took many new directions and gained popularity, the newer sound of metal edged hard rock like VanHalen, Scorpions, Def Leppard, Whitesnake and all the sunset strip sounding bands gave us something to rock about. There was the more domestic oriented Duran Duran, U2 and such right along side of this new Hip Hop stuff, so again I ask what has changed ?

THe 90's came in with Grunge which had its moments but some of us wondered where the rockin music went. At the same time Progressive metal was setting good roots taking over where Tull, Kansas and others left off.

00's - Im not sure when boy bands and dance choreographed chick music took off but was it really any different than the bubblegum of the 60's, disco of the 70's and digital, keyboard laden, weird spiked hair of the 80's ? Many of these rocking bands today that take the heat are nothing different for the times than what Deep Purple, VanHalen, Nugent, Scorpions, Ratt, Motley, AC/DC, Leppard and such were during their days rockin the charts. I simply dont see what all the whinning is about. Same as I enjoyed the music of these old rock bands I mentioned, I enjoy the music of Three Doors Down, Nickleback, Shinedown, Disturbed... whatever. They all have their good songs and thier shit just like days of old.

But yeah, the years from 67/68 to 78 were very important years for ME in the development of styles of music I would always follow through the rest of my life but that is NOT when the good stuff stopped coming, I hear new songs on the radio regularly that I find merit in. Nor was that time without its share of total crap.

I's like to clarify a few things. Those that choose mid 60's- mid 70's made their choice for good reason and I would mostly agree but all the decades have had their good and the bad.
Sorry had to delete most of your novel there because most of us already know those things lol and some i disagree with of course because I'm not close minded even with genre's i don't like...

But anyways the statement i quoted above goes without saying about each having good and bad... the ones who said Mid 60's - 70's simply are saying that excluding the bad, that particular era was the Golden Age with the best of the good... not to say the other years not in that era are not good but just that era had the best of the best..

Now what i disagree with you:

1. Sabbath and Metal - name another band that put all the elements of metal together completely before Sabbath who can claim to do so?

2. Punk - Just because you do not like the genre or understand it does not mean it is not good. Most of us if not all of us, excluding you, are punk fans as well. Though most are hardcore punk fans. I like all forms of punk rock.

3. Grunge - Why would they or bands after their era sound "rockin"? Cannot sound like the 50's forever my close minded friend... Grunge took elements of Punk and other genre's and put it all together to create an exciting new genre for it's time... But it also destroyed rock music afterwards imo that has never been able to recover from...

One can only imagine why and how you linked to dig this relic up from the dead and then to say absolutely nothing to boot. What a shocker, nothing to respond to here other than your obvious motives. Sorry you hung too long to the nip and are late for the party.

what questions junior ? Like I said your late to the party and didnt read and obsorb what was said. "as usual and get off the topic" ??? ... WTF is the matter with you

There was a big difference from the beginning of the 70's to the end of them, much changed. It was great, I was there but it also had its disappointments. The people 10 years older than myself would tell you the late 50's early 60's was a great time to have been coming of age and early adulthood. R'nR music, car hops, drive in theaters.

I think the deacades are a wash.

what questions junior ? Like I said your late to the party and didnt read and obsorb what was said. "as usual and get off the topic" ??? ... WTF is the matter with you
I read what was said and absorbed, Granpa. And what you say in most if not all threads, everyone already knows. You add nothing new to most threads. The two questions you say I didn't ask:

1. What other band at that time or before Sabbath put all the elements of metal together to be considered the originators of Metal over Sabbath? Key word: ALL.. not 1 or 2 elements but ALL.

2. Why does Grunge or any genre of the 90's have to sound "rockin" for it to be a good genre or exciting one? Are you being a little biased because your tastes are from the way past?

WTF is wrong with you? Can't notice a question when there is this at the end>>> ? :rolleyes:

My statement was

Sabbath (who get way too much credit for "single handedly" creating a genre... which is TOTAL bullshit

Now question for you Junior, what are all these elements of heavy metal Sabbath put together all by their little lonesome selves and just exactly what year and album did it happen ? Dont get skimpy on me either Junior I want "all the elements if metal"......... this includes the elements Sabbath to this day has still not used.... :Smokin:

What is the point of question 2 and where are you getting it from ? My statement about my thoughts on grunge when it came out are valid, what is it you dont get about what I said ? Further why do you take issue with it ? And where did I say "it (or any) wasnt good or "exciting" genre" ?

So you see Junior... the way I see it is you are the one that makes pointless post replies.

I'm surprised at how few votes the 00s has. Fair enough, it's best not favourites, but some of the younger people will be telling porkies to an extent. Most my favourite albums come from the past decade so that's what I chose.

Mathiäs;8821575 said:
Obviously the 70s is the best...man if I could pick a time to be a teenager, it would be then
Ever see the movie Dazed and Confused? .. much like you I wouldn't have mind to have been a teen in the 70's... unfortunately i was born in the early 70's instead of the 60's...

My statement was

Sabbath (who get way too much credit for "single handedly" creating a genre... which is TOTAL bullshit

Now question for you Junior, what are all these elements of heavy metal Sabbath put together all by their little lonesome selves and just exactly what year and album did it happen ? Dont get skimpy on me either Junior I want "all the elements if metal"......... this includes the elements Sabbath to this day has still not used.... :Smokin:
If you have to ask what elements are incorporated in Metal from the very beginning that are still used today basically, then perhaps you should not be on a Metal Forum Granpa if you do not understand metal much like you do not understand Punk and other music your not a fan of...

As for Sabbath, I will say it again they were the "first" most complete metal sounding music in metal's history therefor that is why they are considered to be so... and you will be hard pressed to find many who would disagree with that... but like I said since you disagree with that then name another band that was... in your opinion of course...

My statement about my thoughts on grunge when it came out are valid, what is it you dont get about what I said ? .
Valid to you... and only yourself.. since you were the one who said it... you always were a legend in your own mind... a narcisstic attention whore is what others have told me about you... didn't have much opinion about it at the time but i see they are correct... anyways much like punk you never understood Grunge imo... but anyways i don't understand why every decade since your teenage years needs to have "rockin" bands? Music needs to evolve and not stay in the past though much like yourself I do enjoy band's with influences from the past... but I don't obsessed with "rockin" bands like you do because that seems to be your criticism of any genre not sounding like your past heroes...

Are you going to say that grunge was as rockin as the popular music that preceeded it ? Im a bit curious because when I saw Alice in Chain open for VanHalen in 92 the difference between the two styles was day and night... or do you still not get it ? and are going to keep twisting and twisting what was said because you have issues ?

I asked to hear what your list was of all these elements that you feel Sabbath solely had all to themselves that makes them the sole creators of metal. Because I heard the first album when it was new and heard alot of others the same year that also had their share of "heavy" with influences that can be heard in metal over the decades. If anything Sabbath was doomy but that is not the whole of heavy metal. There was many bands involved from 69-73 and that is just the way it went down.

The rest of your twists and personal attacks are just that, totally fucked up.

Are you going to say that grunge was as rockin as the popular music that preceeded it ? Im a bit curious because when I saw Alice in Chain open for VanHalen in 92 the difference between the two styles was day and night... or do you still not get it ? and are going to keep twisting and twisting what was said because you have issues ?
I just hate the term "rockin" or "rock on". Music should just be music and no one music should be more "rockin" then another.. I have no issues but you certainly seem to have some yourself... people with ego's usually do....

I asked to hear what your list was of all these elements that you feel Sabbath solely had all to themselves that makes them the sole creators of metal. Because I heard the first album when it was new and heard alot of others the same year that also had their share of "heavy" with influences that can be heard in metal over the decades. If anything Sabbath was doomy but that is not the whole of heavy metal. There was many bands involved from 69-73 and that is just the way it went down.
ahh so to you metal is just the "heavy" part and nothing else? If that is the only element of metal then yes Sabbath was one a dozen... but we all know that was/is not the only thing about Metal that sets it apart from other rock music... you do not seem to see that? ... and do not see that Sabbath was just more then just being "heavy"... but like i said if music is not defined according to Razor's world then everyone is wrong... only Razor the minority opinion versus the music world's majority opinion is correct...

The rest of your twists and personal attacks are just that, totally fucked up.
Ironic thing is you do just that yourself but fail to admit so... guess were both fucked up... :loco:

I just hate the term "rockin" or "rock on". Music should just be music and no one music should be more "rockin" then another.. I have no issues but you certainly seem to have some yourself... people with ego's usually do...

I dont care how you feel about the term rockin its irrelevent. As I recall all I said was some of us wondered where the rockin music went, which is true, it was a common feeling at the time. So why did you take issue with it and twist the meaning of a simple statement it into such a big deal ?
ahh so to you metal is just the "heavy" part and nothing else? If that is the only element of metal then yes Sabbath was one a dozen... but we all know that was/is not the only thing about Metal that sets it apart from other rock music... you do not seem to see that? ... and do not see that Sabbath was just more then just being "heavy"
I still see no list of your metal specs

Again, there is all kinds of metal with various styles and technique applied, much of which was first seen in these other bands. Thats all, it was what it was and Sabbath is not entitled to the full credit that those who do not know or were not around seem to want to give them.

It was great to hear Ritchie Blackmore say the other night on this program I watched that when Led Zeppelin came out they knew that heavily riffed sound was the direction they wanted to take. I wish I had wrote down the exact quote but I watched the words come from his mouth.

Only a fool would deny Highway Star, Communication Breakdown, Whole Lotta Love, Immigrant song, Gypsy, Look at Yourself, Easy Livin, Hocus Pocus, Locomotive Breath... Rush, I wouldnt know where to begin? ... just to name a few... were not staples in techniques and applications what would become the many sounds of metal.

but like i said if music is not defined according to Razor's world then everyone is wrong... only Razor the minority opinion versus the music world's majority opinion is correct...
More jiberish based on persoanl attacks (have you become rattled?). Im not basing this on "opinion" just the way things went down as the transition took place.
Ironic thing is you do just that yourself but fail to admit so... guess were both fucked up... :loco:

I challenge you to point me to one twist... but please make this list of "all the elements of metal" as well. That is all, have a nice day.