Best Drummer

Immortaldemon

...claiming my flesh
Nov 3, 2002
Swindon, UK
Visit site
Who do you think is the best drummer in metal.

This could be for whatever reason eg.speed, technical playing etc.

My personal favourite drummer is Flo Mournier because of his rediculous technicality and how he seems to hit between 4 and 6 drums at once.

Please state the reason for your choice. :headbang:

Flo for his speed, technicality, and massive creativity.

The Berzerker for his massive speed.

Hellhammer because he is awsome and he can play to lots of different kinds of music.

Tony from Nile for his speed, endurance, and his creativity.

Asgeir from Borknagar because he is so technical.

Joey Jordison for getting me into double bass so many years ago... *thats right, I said it :mad:*

There are lots more.:p

In no real order

Tony Laureano (Nile)-What Failing Acension said.
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)-I don't think I have anything to say :p

Pete Wildoer (Darkane)-One of my favorites, I love his double bass, cool fills and very creative.

Jason Rullo (SyX)-Very technical player, precise and insane fills

Gene Hoglan-He's a legend :p
Richard Christy-fucking awesome live drummer :eek: technical and creative player.

Henry Ranta (Soilwork)-His fill work mostly and pretty groovy at times.

The Berzerker's drummer (what the hell is his name?)-Speed wise only

While on this subject, how good do you think Joey 1 is in comparison to the other drummers that have been mentioned.

My friend says that Joey's really technical, and that's why he's so good. He also says that the drummer from Nile isn't very good and he can just play fast. He says that he could play like Tony.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You've gotta realise that drumming is not just about skill. A good drummer can find a great rhythm for a song, no matter how technical or skilled the drummer is, and the beat he plays. Drumming must suit the tune and the bass and the vocals. Drumming is hard work and not just because youve gotta move really fast. To be a drummer you need soul
SOUL
And death metal has SOUL

PS trym rocks

What was the need to try and bash my views on drummers when the drummers that have been mentioned have ultimate excellence in all areas of the music they play with and are obviously good enough to out-do any drummer in nu-metal at what they do or pretty much any musical genre?

Originally posted by MetalJester098
You've gotta realise that drumming is not just about skill. A good drummer can find a great rhythm for a song, no matter how technical or skilled the drummer is, and the beat he plays. Drumming must suit the tune and the bass and the vocals.

I agree with your statement, but I fail to see the relevance of it.

My friend says that Joey's really technical, and that's why he's so good. He also says that the drummer from Nile isn't very good and he can just play fast. He says that he could play like Tony.

Joey really technical and Tony isn't very good? :lol: I don't really give any credit to your friend's opinion (oh and btw I would give your friend 200 buck's if he can play Nile's stuff in a live concert haha :lol: )

To be a drummer you need soul

Jason Rullo- Aside of being a prog metal drummer, he's a jazz fusion freak, I highly doubt he doesn't have any soul.

Pete Wildoer-Thrash/death metal drummer and also a jazz drummer.

Tony Laureano (Nile)
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)

Iced Earth's various drummers have done good, especially the guy who's name I'm too lazy to go look up who did Night of The StormRider. It did what you said, all the beats fit perfectly. Nothing more or no beats less than what you would imagine should be in there.

My fellow Aussie Virgil Donati is my favorite! I wont use the word best, many would. He's amazing.

We played on the same album a few months back but unfortunately not on the same songs so I didn't get to work with him, but maybe someday!

i got quite a selection. none in any order though!
1. Horgh-just really good and his sound is amazing
2. Gene Hogland- After hearing Ill-Natured Spiritual Invasion by Old Mans Child, i figured i just heard a master
3. Nick Barker-Mad Man on Drums! he is fast as hell and he can play anything!
4. Dave Lombardo- He was amazing with Slayer, and i heard him on Testament-The Gathering, he is a well rounded drummer also
5. I dont know his name, but the drummer for Dying Fetus. This guy just goes insane!
6. Trym- another mad man on drums, the guy with the fastest double bass and blast beats i have ever heard.
7. Tjodalv- he has been in so many Black metal bands, just a great drummer!
8. Lars Urlich- for all the Metallica fans, at least before the black album, this guy was amazing. Now he just never uses the double bass and is less pleasing.
9. Dan Swano- i have only heard his stuff from Bloodbath, but he is another great one

I cant think of any other great drummers right now, but metal definately holds the best drummers in it!

Originally posted by Chris Brooks
My fellow Aussie Virgil Donati is my favorite! I wont use the word best, many would. He's amazing.

We played on the same album a few months back but unfortunately not on the same songs so I didn't get to work with him, but maybe someday!

At last, sensible reply. Just naming your favourite drummer isn't enough, dudes. Donati has technical ability (his double bass playing obviously stands out, but he solo's so well on the snare), understanding, is very clever with dividing the beat, and has a knack for polyrhythms that should frighten most people.
Power of Omens Drummer Alex Arranello is not an idiot, either.
Also Spastic Ink's drummer does some amazing work.

Talking about "feeling" and "soul" is all very well when you're saying why you like a certain band/player, but it's too subjective. So, it's best to judge musicians on more tangible aspects of their playing. Afterall, how do I know you don't feel like crying/jumping around when you listen to W.A.S.P but left cold and unaffected when you listen to Dream Theater?

Van Williams for his pure genious creativity.
Adrian Erlandsson for just a tight and awesome job at least on Slaugter Of The Soul and looking so goofy on the Blinded By Fear video.

I don't think my view has changed much since the last Best Drummer's thread.

Pete Sandoval Morbid Angel,Terrorizer
Dude from Dying Fetus
John from Devolved
Damien Biggers from Sakkuth,Mesh,Dr.12gauge
Nik Barker from Cradle,Lock Up,Dimmu
Dude from Meshuggah
Dude from Mastodon, Today Is The Day

Originally posted by Immortaldemon
While on this subject, how good do you think Joey 1 is in comparison to the other drummers that have been mentioned.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: Your friend is retarded! ;)
Also, I forgot the guy from Origin. I like him alot. And how could I forget Tyrm! He is awsome! So fast and creative! And Tjodalv! My yahoo namesake!

Flo Mournier (Cryptopsy)
Nick Barker (Dimmu Borgir)
Richard Christy (Death, Iced Earth, Burning Inside, etc.)
Gene Hoglan (too many bands)
"the drummer" (The Berzerker)
Trym (Emperor/Zyklon)
Brian Harvey (Pig Destroyer)
Pete Sandoval (Morbid Angel)

Also, about Joey Jordison, I'm no drummer so I can't really tell, but I've heard from just about everyone that he's horribly sloppy.

i can't add anyone except fpr tim waterson for his record in fast bass drum play... insane

http://www.extremesportdrumming.com/score/feet/feetranking.html

and i might add that mike portnoy is of course one of the best drummrs around, technically, but i for one think his style does not always suit the music. everyone in dream theater is a well-tlented and extraordinary solo-musician, but that doesn't mean if put together they will produce extraordinary music.

oh, and i think nobody mentioned thomas haake (meshuggah) :eek:
oh union said that...