Best Drummer

Pete Sandoval of course. I'm sure though that he has been previously mentioned, I'm not going to check though..well maybe.

Me neither. But my friend's girlfriend did, since they were having a conversation. She is crazy. She asked Jon Vesano (Nile) if she could touch his hair. He said sure. :err:

THere are only a few drummers who rule in Drumming ability and can play metal: Virgil Donati, Bobby Jarzombek, Mike Mangini, and Marco Minneman. These guys smoke most of the contenders previously mentioned....... I have to also give full recognition to Bozzio, a true legendary master; Sean Reinert, a great all around multistyled talent; Tomas Haak-superb polyrhythmic grooves; and a nod to Stephen Shelton of Confessor, cool original style w/ broken bouble kick patterns.... By the way, Bobbys new video is out, clips on website. Watch and cry.

Danny Carey (Tool)
Igor Cavalera (Sepultura)
Van Williams (Nevermore)
Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
Raymond Herrera (Fear Factory)

I want to apologize for using the word "wannabees", it was derogetory and mean spirited. All of the drummers everyone else mentioned have made some significant contribution to music. Maybe I can state my case without careless namecalling. Remember, this thread is supposed to be about Best Drummer(s). How does one judge that?? I think of several things..(1) A wide and deep rhythmic vocabulary, (2) Lots of 4 way coordination and limb independence, (2) Super high skill level with great speed, control, accuracy, and endurance, (3) Use of advanced and deep concepts, such as mixed meter, polyrhythms, displacements, counterpoint, (4) imagination, creativity, originality, (5) having other styles mixed in like jazz, fusion, latin, (6) using the sound sources on the set in new and technically challenging combinations and configurations....The drummers I admire most really excell in all these areas. I have to agree with some of the angry replies, there are some great drummers that I would like to complement: I can see why Flo M of Cryptopsy is high on many lists. He's got extreme speed, he's full of quick changes, and the whole band is so aggresive with lots of variations and surprises, Flo captures the spirit of EXTREMENESS. John Longstreth of Origin has great speed and endurance, has hand patterns on 2 different cymbals over his feet with great phrasing with the band figures. Esp "Disease called Man" he switches the figure from hihats to cymbals to snare, a baddass approach !! Richard Christy of Death, Lots of power and speed, over some complicated band writing. I also want to mention someone who nobody mentioned. Hendrik Oh from Theory in Practice. Vicious speed, complicated stuff, lots of changes and surprises, a bit like the drummer for "Deeds of Flesh". But please don't try to sell me on Portnoy and Peart; they did some tasty stuff, good ideas, great bands, but pretty lacking in the chops, coordination dept.

Flo Mournier is probably the best drummer right now in metal, he is on a level right now that few people can even imagine of reaching.

Gene Hoglan of couse, the man is a beast but his stuff is so based around his meal ticket, Devin Townsend, Individual Thought Patterns I believe was his peak but now I think the torch has been passed on to...

Nick Barker- No matter what anybody fucking thinks, Dimmu Borgir's last album was amazing, and Nick Barker's drumming was incredible I think few people in metal are really coming close to what he pulled off on that album, I first heard him on CoF's Dusk and Her Embrace... and I knew from then on he was going to be one of the best drummers in metal today, dynamics, speed, tightness, rhythmn.

Mike Portnoy is great, but Prog is Prog, the genre is pretty stagnant when it comes to doing anything remotely "progressive", you gotta love the neil peart techniques, and the "trained" abilities he posseses, these guys make very articulate music but in the end its just another Dream theatre album, just as emotionally boring as the last, with textbook abilities that only seem to impress prog fans or people incapable of understanding that technique means little when it comes to making honest music.

Trym

Pete Wildoer is doing some pretty good stuff(listen to his ride fills in like every 15 seconds of Darkane, tight)

Hellhammer- fuck the guy is probably the biggest drum slut in black metal, but he never fails to impress, his versatility and creativity is exceptional.

Faust- not the most technical drummer, but most musicians know that just simply having a good flow can make all the differance, in the nightside eclipse was an excellent album, and the drums fit so well to the music, it will be interesting to hear dissection s new stuff when Jon Nodveidt and Faust get out of jail

And on a final note, I have listened to Opeth for a few years and.. well they seem so formulaic, I would like some opinions on this, its predictably unpredictable leads, everything is a reference to seventies prog, Ithink they peaked on Still Life but overall mike akerfeldt is taking black metal in directions it may not have gone before, but its not really a stretch of the imagination to see where hes coming from.

anyway

Originally posted by cheezruff
John Longstreth of Origin has great speed and endurance, has hand patterns on 2 different cymbals over his feet with great phrasing with the band figures. Esp "Disease called Man" he switches the figure from hihats to cymbals to snare, a baddass approach !! Richard Christy of Death, Lots of power and speed, over some complicated band writing. I also want to mention someone who nobody mentioned. Hendrik Oh from Theory in Practice. Vicious speed, complicated stuff, lots of changes and surprises, a bit like the drummer for "Deeds of Flesh". But please don't try to sell me on Portnoy and Peart; they did some tasty stuff, good ideas, great bands, but pretty lacking in the chops, coordination dept.

You know what your on about man. The first time I heard Disease Called Man, I was floored by what he did to that track. Great stuff. Flo speaks for himself. He is indeed a great metal drummer. And I can't believe I missed Hendrik from Theory In Practice. He is, to put it simply...Awsome! The whole band are top notch on the technicality stakes. They never cease to amaze me.

Originally posted by cheezruff
IBut please don't try to sell me on Portnoy and Peart; they did some tasty stuff, good ideas, great bands, but pretty lacking in the chops, coordination dept.

are you serious about this?

peart have no coordination dept?

go and take serious drumming lessons!

and don't put portnoy and peart in the same ship...

is like comparing shit with a delicious cake!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well while alot of people may not agree with me, I am going to say that my personal favorite all time drummer is RIP era Nick Menza, followed by Gene Hoglan, John Bonham, Dave Lombardo, Tom Hunting (I know, I stick with the classics, no one new has turned me on lately...sorry.)