Best Drummer

Polaris said:
Faust- not the most technical drummer, but most musicians know that just simply having a good flow can make all the differance, in the nightside eclipse was an excellent album, and the drums fit so well to the music, it will be interesting to hear dissection s new stuff when Jon Nodveidt and Faust get out of jail

Faust was released back in December, and Nodveidt's release date was moved up to sometime in August. There'll be a new Dissection album by September probably:p

These threads are crap although it is nice to recognize good drummers. As there are no best drummers there are no best bands...there are awesome drummers/bands/musicians but...I don't believe it passes that at all.
Good drummers from-
Cryptopsy, Hate Eternal...
Iced Earth, Nile...
Meshuggah, In Flames...
But not limited to these by any means.

C'mon people!!....the dude from Myrkskog!!!!
He's friggin crazy!!!
I also nominate:
-Portnoy
-Trym
-Origin's drummer (who else have you heard that does one-handed blast-beats/snare rolls?)

mike portnoy is the best metal drummer EVER.

Other VERY VERY good drummers (not all of them metal players) are:

Neil Peart (one of the first drumming gods)
Akira Jimbo (this guy is fucking killer)
Nick from Dimmu (best black metal drummer)
Helmut Quacken (a guy from a brazilian band called Glory Opera)
Terry Bozzio

and some others i can't really remember right now

Hey on the Dimmu DVD (kinda like that guy stated above) Nick doesn't seem to move his legs superfast like drummers do when we :)grin: *cough*) blaze away with the double-bass. Is he using that crazy heel-toe method? :confused:

Thorn said:
Hellhammer - The Kovenant
Tjodalv - (form)Dimmu Borgir
Tony - Nile
Nick Barker - Dimmu Borgir
Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater
Guy from Dragonforce
Horgh - Immortal

Joey Jordison is good it's just the band he plays in.
Where in Texas are you from?:)

I was listening to some Suicidal cd's the other day and realised that I regretfully left out Brooks Wackerman from my list. This guy is a fucking machine. And to think he was only 19 when Suicidal put him on their drumstool.

And the dude from Candiria is worth a mention. The shit he does on their 300 Percent Density album is great.

Somehow I think it's really sad that the major people here thinks that...

Fast drummers = the best drummers

Speed is something one can practice, groove on the other hand is much harder to develope!!!

My favorite drummers are,

Mikkey Dee - Motörhead, ex King Diamond
Snowy Shaw - Dream Evil, ex King Diamond, ex Mercyful Fate etc
Tommy Lee - ex Mötley Crüe
Thomen Stauch - Blind Guardian
Ingo Schwichtenberg - Helloween (R.I.P.)
Nicke Andersson - ex Entombed
Peter Stjärnvind - Entombed
Robin Bergh - Amaran

These guys have groove and some of them are fast as fuck also!

Just for sheer speed: Nick Barker
Technique: Gene Hoglan and Richard Christy
Underrated: Anders Jivarp from Dark Tranquillity, the guy is amazing!

Drummers I know: M. Polytaridis (A little subjective as he is the drummer of TRENCH, but he still is amazing!!)

diabolical vengeance said:
i've seen Berzerker a couple of times live and if i remember correctly they employ a drum machine. i could be mistaken...

anyway

Pete Sandoval

Flo Mournier

old time fav-Dave Lombardo
I saw them 2 months ago, and they had a VERY real drummer. It was fantastic to watch him. I got his autograph too. He is existant. ;) He recorded on Dissimulate, but I think for the first CD they had a drum machine there.

Trench said:
Underrated: Anders Jivarp from Dark Tranquillity, the guy is amazing!

I'll agree with that wholehartedly.

Another highly underrated drummer in my opinion wouold have to be Charlie Benante.

The guy from Vehemence is pretty fucking awesome too, IMO

plfffffft said:
I'll agree with that wholehartedly.

Another highly underrated drummer in my opinion wouold have to be Charlie Benante.

The guy from Vehemence is pretty fucking awesome too, IMO

hell yeah, the dude from vehemence rocks, fast, technical, and snappy.
i know its not really metal, but danny carey from tool is and incredible drummer.
my fave metal drummers are prolly
the dude from sym x
nick barker
the dude from berzerker
the dude from origin
the dude from meshuggah
the dude from the melvins (once again, not exactly metal)
whats his face from dream theatre (im terrible with names)

if fuck..im dead ever get a drummer that can play the riffs that they use a drum machine for at the moment, that would kick so much ass

That dude from Mortician(man is he precise and fast), and Anders Johannson from Hammerfall are the best drummers ever.

I'm going to go with the popular choices here as most are correct:
Hellhammer for being the best and most versatile drummer in black metal.

Trym as he was and is an excellent drummer and very creative in his personal style.

Flo...what can be said that hasnt already been?

"Drummer" from Berzerker for sheer speed and technicality.

Nick Barker for being consistent with speed and rather creative with some of his older CoF stuff. (circa Vempire and Dusk and her Embrace).

The Nile drummer whos name my mind neglects to remember is very creative with his Egyptian war beats on Unas, not to mention blisteringly fast.