Best guitarist today?

This is all subjective, and I may have posted already in this tread. That said, Hendrix, Roy Buchanan, Stevie Ray Vaughn are all gone, man. The only "living" guitarist playing today, imo, that encapsulates all the guys mentioned above, is Frank Marino. Get your hands on his latest "live" album called "Real Live" from 2004. Frank plays jazz, rock, metal and blues sometimes all in one song. Any guitarist and I mean any guitarist, that opens his show with Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile" (the first one off of Electris ladyland, not slight return) has got some fuckin' stones, not to mention confidence. Malmsteen could'nt carry Marino's guitar case. Another excellent guitarist that doesn;t get any real notice is Chris Duarte. Got a new one called "Blue Velocity" very good. Duarte is probably trying to fill the hole Stevie Ray left?

i know i dont get why "shred" has such a negative connotation. Its not like its easy to play that fast.

My distaste for it has nothing to do with me thinking it doesn't take skill. It's just boring, it's frequently lacking taste or any sort of real musical interest outside of "wow, man!", and it's very, very rare that you hear a shredder who doesn't sound just like every other shredder. Not to mention good luck differentiating which shredder is better when they all play the same crap and play at such outrageous speeds that no one can tell which is fastest besides people using high-sensitivity technical measurement devices. Michael Angelo, Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci, stereotypical prog/power metal wank guys, etc all are very obviously talented but none of them are particularly inspiring and most are exceedingly one dimensional. Petrucci is probably my favorite cause I liked dream theater back in the day and he can effectively solo in more than two styles, but the fact remains he's still pretty bland and one dimensional. I don't think I've ever heard the man fingerpick, even (besides maybe the uber-simple "hourglass").

My favorite metal guitarists are Fredrik Thordendal and Mikael Akerfeldt. Both are pretty decent soloists, but both really shine in their wildly creative riffs and writing styles. I definitely have taken more influence and inspiration from them than any other guitarists, and it's entirely their riffs, not their solos.

Also, Pat Metheny is one of my favorites. See, now this guy is varied, even if he can't shred - his material ranges from nearly prog metal (In the Heat of the Day) to absolutely gorgeous acoustic fingerpicking (anything on "One Quiet Night" or "Beyond the Missouri Sky."). My one gripe with him is his electric tone is a bit too smooth for some of the styles he plays in - I saw him live a month or so ago with the Metheny-Mehldau quartet, and when they played straight ahead up-tempo jazz his guitar tone was a bit too smooth for it, imo. Still, a great guitarist.

As far as actual best guitarists go, the hell if I know, probably some obscure brazilian jazzer or another, they tend to get the best and most creative non-classical musicians. :p

and it's very, very rare that you hear a shredder who doesn't sound just like every other shredder.

That's very, very absurd. Unless you're strictly talking about Michaelangelo and Malmsteen-types, come on. Buckethead and Tony McAlpine, to name two, sound nothing alike other than that they both play guitar. Eddie Van Halen, Paul Gilbert, Vai, etc. all have unique sounds if you're actually listening.

Playing 9,000 notes per minute does not make a brilliant guitarist. The emotions projected through the instrument, that particular guitarist who expels all his soul, where the listener can identify or relate to and recieve a mental picture through the sounds and FEEL what the musician is conveying. Simply for me, is the mark of an outstanding guitarist, regardless of genre. But hey, that's just me.

My distaste for it has nothing to do with me thinking it doesn't take skill. It's just boring, it's frequently lacking taste or any sort of real musical interest outside of "wow, man!", and it's very, very rare that you hear a shredder who doesn't sound just like every other shredder. Not to mention good luck differentiating which shredder is better when they all play the same crap and play at such outrageous speeds that no one can tell which is fastest besides people using high-sensitivity technical measurement devices. Michael Angelo, Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci, stereotypical prog/power metal wank guys, etc all are very obviously talented but none of them are particularly inspiring and most are exceedingly one dimensional. Petrucci is probably my favorite cause I liked dream theater back in the day and he can effectively solo in more than two styles, but the fact remains he's still pretty bland and one dimensional. I don't think I've ever heard the man fingerpick, even (besides maybe the uber-simple "hourglass").

My favorite metal guitarists are Fredrik Thordendal and Mikael Akerfeldt. Both are pretty decent soloists, but both really shine in their wildly creative riffs and writing styles. I definitely have taken more influence and inspiration from them than any other guitarists, and it's entirely their riffs, not their solos.

Also, Pat Metheny is one of my favorites. See, now this guy is varied, even if he can't shred - his material ranges from nearly prog metal (In the Heat of the Day) to absolutely gorgeous acoustic fingerpicking (anything on "One Quiet Night" or "Beyond the Missouri Sky."). My one gripe with him is his electric tone is a bit too smooth for some of the styles he plays in - I saw him live a month or so ago with the Metheny-Mehldau quartet, and when they played straight ahead up-tempo jazz his guitar tone was a bit too smooth for it, imo. Still, a great guitarist.

As far as actual best guitarists go, the hell if I know, probably some obscure brazilian jazzer or another, they tend to get the best and most creative non-classical musicians. :p

Godly post wankerness. thumbs up!

how was mehldau, wankerness? awesome as usual, eh?

Yeah, everyone played amazingly. They played about half of the quartet album and then a few tracks off the first CD, and he brought out the baritone acoustic for "Make Peace" from the first metheny-mehldau cd which is orgasmic, especially live. Oh, and he even used the Picasso guitar (that 42 string monstrosity) to play the song that uses that from the Metheny-Mehldau CD...really cool to see it in action. It was a great concert, and it was in a tiny (but excellent sounding!) venue which made it all the better.

Why everybody assumes that Thordental writes all the riffs in Meshuggah's music ?
Because he soloes ?
They are 2 guitar players in this band you know.

Talk about the Angus Young syndrome ...

Marten sure writes some stuff. He even wrote Acrid Placidity all by himself but Thordendal is credited for most of the music, read the booklets and you will see.

JOHN 5 (ROB ZOMBIE, SOLO, ex MARILYN MANSON) ON TONIGHT 8PM on Maximum Threshold Radio Show

Hey, if you are a J5 fan be at the http://maximumthreshold.net website tonight before 8pm and log into the chatroom. We will have John 5 on the show. We will record this show and re-air it this Saturday night. So if you cannot make it you can listen to it this weekend. But if you have any questions for J5 than meet us in the chatroom!

If you get a chance please update your profile and upload a few pictures and if you do not have a default picture on your profile please do so. Also check your "Connections" to see if you have any friend requests.

Please pass the word around about the interview tonight and if you have any questions, comments, complaints or whatever please direct them to dom@maximumthreshold.net , also if you have questions for J5 email them NOW so we can get them ready.

Thanks!!
Dom