In Your Opinion Who Is The Best Electric Guitarist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Bryant
...I have to name an artist I am completely bored with and don't even care for anymore........... Yngwie Malmsteen. In 1983, Yngwie blew the face off of the guitar world with his solo album, yet he hasn't progressed any after that. Unfortunately, no other guitarist has really upstaged him since that time, technically speaking...

The reasons I dislike Yngwie are nearly the same as the reasons I dislike DT so much. It seems that they're simply playing to hear how good they are, to hear what technical masters they are, without a care for whether or not the audience (be it live or studio) thinks it's good MUSIC. They're musical masturbators.

Thank goodness, I haven't mentioned Yngwie. *lol* I have a big, big "personal problem" -->(c) one of my buddies *lol*... with that guy.
He may be a good guitarist in his own right, just like anyone else, and I like some of his songs (*rolls eyes*) yet when he starts playing solos, the songs are completely ruined for me (for the time of the solos, that is).

And yes, earlier Stevie Ray was mentioned. Such a great guitarist! Well... *sighs*

I wouldn't exactly call DT musical masturbators, though. They're overdoing it a bit at the moment, I guess. They are still brilliant, nonetheless!

Originally posted by Lady Of The Snow
...I wouldn't exactly call DT musical masturbators, though. They're overdoing it a bit at the moment, I guess. They are still brilliant, nonetheless...

Overdoing it? That might be a bit of an understatement...;)

I just can't get into a band that doesn't also care about making a decent sounding song. I don't NEED every song to be 13 minutes long (unless it's blackened Viking metal, in which case it better be!) so each musician can have their personal extended part...

Many of these prog bands remind me of the one time I saw Blues Traveler live. I thought "man, some of these songs are really good. Too bad they've been ruined with 12 minute long harmonica solos." Enough, already!

your Blues Traveler comment is pretty on, Markgugs. although I loved the jamming Popper had to fill every nook and cranny with hyperactive harmonica soloing. I loved their earlier cds but as the band grew so did his need to hog (no pun intended) the spotlight.

and DT was one of my all time favorites but they've increasingly moved into the tempo-changes for tempo-changes-sake, everyone flailing away in an attempt to out prog someone, as if they had any real competition (Vanden Plas!!!!). I sincerely hope they move back towards just plain good songwriting because they are great at it.

moon.gif
:)

Well, I don't wanna bash any band here or bitch, far from that...

Ok, "overdoing it" perhaps was a wee bit of an understatement, and I have to admit that there was a slight "change" in DT beginning 1997 (when I have seen the band live the last time... boy, time flies).
But you know, DT have a "reputation" and I think their strong fanbase is pressuring them to releasing what is being expected. It's difficiult, I guess, when you're always being rated by albums such as "Images And Words" and living up to that standard - with so many other bands around.

Funny, that when a band slips into other musical territory, trying to progress somewhat, that they're either being dumped or negatively criticized.
Example: DT have been pretty much criticized when they released "Falling Into Infinity". Not that I dislike that album, my faves are ... hehe... Lines In The Sand", "Burning My Soul" and "Just Let Me Breathe"... it's still better IMHO than "Scenes..." (which I have a problem with, listening to it in one spin), and for me the DT era has ended (for now) after "Awake"... nonetheless, DT are still doing good in their own right - only different.
And by saying "overdoing it" I mean they're experimenting a wee bit too much.

Does this make sense? :rolleyes:

Well, we will see (and hope, I guess), that DT will not loose their "magic" anyway.

NP: Lines In The Sand

LotS: you make some good points. I realize a band has to progress in some way or flirt with becoming irrelevant, but ultimately it becomes the fans who decide how economically viable a band is. I think going to a DT concert would still be a kick ass experience, as the visual component of seeing them pull this shit off would be amazing. but simply listening to it, I can appreciate the skill, I can respect the musicians, but I listen to music primarily as entertainment, and most of the time I don't like my entertainment to be something which leaves me mentally exhausted. I believe it was you who said you were a "feel" or "emotion" person as far as the music you like, I know what you mean even if what moves us is different.:cool:

@lizard:
Thanks.
>but ultimately it becomes the fans who decide how economically viable a band is<
That's what I meant by saying "their strong fanbase is pressuring them to releasing what is being expected."Expectations by predecessors, in DT's case "IAW".
Perhaps the fans are not realizing that they are pressuring a band.
So, DT are just doing what they can do best. They probably think that their fans are expecting that high-standard / quality, technical virtuoso stuff because that's mainly what the name DT stands for.. and it is still wrong, in a way. So, this and that is being criticized. The fans want proggy quality, DT are delivering, and it's being bashed again. Same goes for any other band and/or musician out there.

What about the good old "thank god, we all have different tastes"?

Conclusion:
Everyone should stick with what they like best, yet try to be open-minded for other (interesting!) stuff as well. That's what keeps the music world alive - not only our personal favorite styles.

Yes, it was me saying I'm a "feeling" "emotion" person when it comes to songs. So, even if it's a crappy pop song but there's something in it that grabs me.... well...

Have a nICE day.

Originally posted by Southern Man I Am
Jimi Hendrix
He done things that nobody could do at the time. He was so far ahead of his time. The man is the only reason we have the stuff we have now.

True, but in that case, we better all pay respect to Robert Johnson and the soul he sold to the devil...muwaha ha ha.

I don't understand why people say that Dream Theater are poor song writers. I think that some people are blinded by there technicality and don't realize what amazing song writers these guys are (and before people start calling me pretentious I said SOME people). Also how can you compare Ywngie to DT, virtually the only people that like Ywngie are guuitarists because of his technicality. Many music fans that aren't musicians (such as myself) love DT because of there COMBINATION OF AMZING PLAYING AND AMZING SONG WRITING. I didn't think The 6 degrees of inner turbulence was that strong but Scenes form a memory and Images and words simply blow me away. The only albums I would rate this highly are Remedy Lane by POS, and The sounds of perseverance by Death.

Originally posted by markgugs

Hey, I'm about to listen to some Katatonia, an album I've never heard. How's Anders' playing on "tonight's decision"?

If you think playing fast with no emotion is good, than you'll hate it.

Originally posted by phyre
Electric guitarists? Do they run on batteries?

It's funny. Laugh.

Actually, many of my guitars do! :p

Anyways, ENGAY can't write a rythm to save his life. His solos are great, but nothing a lot of other super shredders can do too... The great kat or Michael Angelo, or whatever the hell his name is.

One can say EVH did more for guitar playing than Yngwie did...

Anyways, it's a useless debate... Whos' the better guitarist?

Doug Cerrito, Frank Gambale or Buckethead? :p

Bite me and save that kindergarten shit for battle of the bands or Star Search. :lol:

Enjoy what each guitarist has to offer, and if it's not up to your technical or stylistic needs, then move on....

:devil:

I like J.Hendrix's guitar playing. I know that as silly as alot of Frank Zappa's lyrics are-If you took away the lyrics and just focus on the music -that is some good music talent. Rush and Iron Maiden-good guitarists.

Originally posted by markgugs

Hey Mac, since I'm terrible w/ band names, song names, YOUR names, etc., who are Paul M & Tommy V?

Paul Masvidal was the mainman and guitarist/vocalist of Cynic and he played on all of their demos and in their only album Focus. He also played in Death's Human.

Tommy Vetterli is the guitarist of Coroner and he also played on Kreator's Outcast and Endorama.

Originally posted by MacMoney

Paul Masvidal was the mainman and guitarist/vocalist of Cynic and he played on all of their demos and in their only album Focus. He also played in Death's Human.

Tommy Vetterli is the guitarist of Coroner and he also played on Kreator's Outcast and Endorama.

Thanks, I've been hearing a good number of people talking about Cynic lately. Might have to check them out...Coroner I've never heard either. Sigh. 2 more bands to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.