Best Line 6 product for recording?

Horvat

New Metal Member
Sep 8, 2008
Hey guys, just a quick question:

I'm interested in buying a Line 6 product for recording guitar. I can't make up my mind, though, since there's so many. I've heard a lot good things recorded with the TonePort, the Pod XT, Pod X3, etc. Budget is NOT a factor.
I'm not interested in playing live, or recording anything other than guitar, with it.

So what's the best Line 6 device to go for, in terms of recording quality and giving me some awesome guitar sounds?

Dude, the Pods are good products. They sound good, look good and are easy to use. But seriously, buy Revalver MKIII + a small but good recording interface. You will get far superior tones than with any Line6-product. I'm not bashing Pods here (got a X3 myself), but it's a fact that they are not top-notch!

Really? Haven't heard of that one. I have an RME Fireface for an interface, could I use the MKIII through that?

What's better about the MKIII? I've had a look around the net, and many people are saying the Line 6 products are just as good (particularly the TonePort)?

It just sounds more real.
You can use external impulses (basically a cabinet-simulator - search for GuitarHacks impulses), it let's you tweak your amps and you've got "real" amp-interfaces (all the "real" Peavey-Amps, a real good simulation of a dual-rectifier, a jcm900, a plexi etc.)
Micheal, the developer also did a great job in emulating the look and feel of the real-life counterparts.

Of course you can use RevIII with your interface. It's just a VST/AU-plugin in your DAW.

Hmmm... do you apply the MKIII vst plugin after you've recorded your tracks, or is there any way to do it while you're actually recording? Excuse me, I'm a bit new to all of this.

You place Revalver MKIII (or any other ampsim VST) as an insert on the track you're recording to, turn on input monitoring, make sure the latency is low enough that there's no delay, and play - you'll only be recording the clean guitar, which is great for tweaking after for obvious reasons, but you'll be hearing it through your ampsim. As far as I'm concerned, the pod is dead for anyone with a half decent interface and computer; I used one for years, and yes, it's possible to get decent tones, but the modeling engine is just SO outdated.

i am using my Toneport to record only the clean signal while simultaneously playing it with the amps supplied in Gearbox. Then i insert the Revalver in my DAW to get the tones using the clean signal. I didnt get this idea first, but the guys here in the forum did. i thanked them :worship:rock:

Thanks for the replies (and ideas). I'll check out the demo in the next few days and let you know how it goes.

Dude, the Pods are good products. They sound good, look good and are easy to use. But seriously, buy Revalver MKIII + a small but good recording interface. You will get far superior tones than with any Line6-product. I'm not bashing Pods here (got a X3 myself), but it's a fact that they are not top-notch!

+1... so true

I can't seem to get good sound quality with the Fireface, that's why I was interested in recording with the Pods, since what I've heard has come out really good soundwise. Seeing as the MKIII is just a VST plugin, is it going to make the sound quality better at all? I notice it has it own preamps, but I'm not sure how it works.

I can't seem to get good sound quality with the Fireface, that's why I was interested in recording with the Pods, since what I've heard has come out really good soundwise. Seeing as the MKIII is just a VST plugin, is it going to make the sound quality better at all? I notice it has it own preamps, but I'm not sure how it works.

The Fireface is one of the best external interfaces on the market, I'm not trying to bash you here but if you can't get anything good out of it you need to spend more time running over the basics.

The Fireface is one of the best external interfaces on the market, I'm not trying to bash you here but if you can't get anything good out of it you need to spend more time running over the basics.

i´m pretty much a noob myself but it seems that razorkjack´s right......hey don´t despair there´s much to be learned:headbang:

get gearbox gold for $100 at Musicians friend...it's every line 6 model and can be used standalone for jamming or as a vst in your host. It comes with a little hardware dongle/breakout box that works great with a laptop for a little moblie guitar rig

and your Fireface will sound as good or better than anything in it's price range

I've done that. A simple mic->amp test yields subpar results.

Well, it doesn't really matter if you have the greatest interface and a 2000 dollar mic if you don't know what to do with it.

Not saying that you don't, but I really don't think the fireface is the problem. It's much more likely a mic placement issue.