Best Line 6 product for recording?

Well, it doesn't really matter if you have the greatest interface and a 2000 dollar mic if you don't know what to do with it.

Not saying that you don't, but I really don't think the fireface is the problem. It's much more likely a mic placement issue.

Perhaps I should've clarified that that is my problem. I've recorded spendid demos with the Fireface, so some of you need to stop handing out pretentious "advice".

Perhaps I should've clarified that that is my problem. I've recorded spendid demos with the Fireface, so some of you need to stop handing out pretentious "advice".

Well, you pretty much just lost your chance of getting any better advice by labeling any previous good advice "pretentious".

well then, go compare a few different interfaces, same mic, same mic position and hear for yourself if their is much difference...

those micpreamps and convertors don't sound all that different, there was a shootout here between different mic pre's a while back and the difference wasn't all that great.

^Yeah, I did some digging, and found a few comparisons. The results were a little bit surprising, but kind of what I expected.

Well, you pretty much just lost your chance of getting any better advice by labeling any previous good advice "pretentious".
No, the real advice I have gotten in this thread was very good. Some of you, however, chose to add no input whatsoever, and instead decided to imply that I was an ignorant noob. Not cool. THAT's what I was referring to.

I don't know, I plug my guitar into a cheap mixer and direct into a cheap laptop using the free plugins Wagner sharp 0.6 and mk2 and voxengo boogex for the cabinet impulses (freely available here) and i can get amazing tones "teh brootalz" or cleaner sounds by twisting the gain control on wagner.

of all the money i have spent on guitar amps and effects over the years, these two free vst effects far surpass in every catagory

try to tell me what the actual problem is and I'll give you non-pretentious advice

:Smokin:

The RME Fireface is quite simply the best interface on the market, period. The preamps and converters simply DESTROY anything else out there, especially Line 6's hack job attempts at interfaces, but even Digidesign Pro Tools HD systems!!

To get better results than the Fireface you would have to invest $20,000-$40,000 USD (at least) in high end outboard pres and converters, going digitally into an interface over lightpipe after running into an expensive dedicated converter box.

The other posters are right, if you can't get good results miking up a cabinet with the Fireface, you need to evaluate your techniques. What amp was used, what mic was used, what mic positions, etc.? Please post some sound examples?

You are the new JP22 until you can answer these questions.

I can't seem to get good sound quality with the Fireface, that's why I was interested in recording with the Pods, since what I've heard has come out really good soundwise. Seeing as the MKIII is just a VST plugin, is it going to make the sound quality better at all? I notice it has it own preamps, but I'm not sure how it works.

Sorry but this statement does sound like you dont know what you are talking about that and makes you a noob in my book but no need to get all defensive about it man we all started out as noobs.

What some of the rather cool people here already pointed out to you was that if you are getting subpar results with micing an amp using the fireface as an interface that it is about 99% certain that the fireface is not to blame it is either wrong choice of mic, poor amp, poor amp settings or poor mic tecnique.

Dont feel like im calling you shit or anything its just the reality getting good results by micing a hign gain amp for metal is not an easy task and takes a lot of experience and trial and error to get it down. In the short term using a amp sim like revalver mkiii and impulses will probably get you where you want to be with a lot less hastle. You can learn a lot from people on this fourm (i have) so stick around.

A night in with search function should have you schooled in impulses.

Good luck man.