Best Metal Drummers

Not sure if he's been mentioned yet, but KC Howard's drumming on Polarity by Decrepit Birth has been making me cream my jeans lately. It has to be some of the fastest, most technical drumming I've ever heard.

Not sure if he's been mentioned yet, but KC Howard's drumming on Polarity by Decrepit Birth has been making me cream my jeans lately. It has to be some of the fastest, most technical drumming I've ever heard.

Agreed. The drumming on the last couple of DB albums has been great.

Also, i think the drummer for Amon Amarth is quite underrated.

But the best for me, is Gene Hoglan on Symbolic.

I'm going with former Quo Vadis Drummer Yanic Bercier, probably one of the best drummers in Canada

Last edited by a moderator:
These lists are always gonna have the standards, but... sure, why not. I'll throw my votes in:

George Kollias (Nile)
Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy)
Gene Hoglan (Fear Factory)
Derek Roddy (Serpents Rising)
John Longstreth (Origin)
Hannes Grossman (Obscura)
John Merryman (Cephalic Carnage)
Alex Pelletier (Despised Icon)
Hellhammer (everything black metal)
Marco Pitruzzella (Anomalous)
Jamie Saint Merat (Ulcerate)

Some of my current votes for various reasons be it speed, power, technicality or what have you.

I see Hannes Grossman being mentioned several times.

WTF ?

The drums are easily Obscura's weakest link. Barely noticable, and they don't transcend pedestrian tech-death drumming. Samuel Santiago (among many other drummers of the genre) outclasses him in every aspect.

As for his work with Necrophagist, he played whatever the Sucimez programmed, and never had any creative input in Necrophagist's music.

^
I frankly don't see anything phenomenal about the above song's drumming.

Since I already mentioned Samuel Santiago, check this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorod is actually pretty "pedestrian" tech-death IMO... but then again, I don't listen to much tech-death.

Hannes Grossman FTW.