Dave&Adrian
Kelly Shaefer(Atheist)
Jeff Loomis
Paul Masvidal
Andy LaRoque
Muhammed Suicmez
Alexi Laiho

fotmbm said:
Kirk Hammet Solo <-- Give that a listen and consider the date, remove the ? after "good"

Good? Sure. One of the "best metal guitar players?" I don't think so. Especially from his current position.

Anyway.....oh, and metal is an insult to Steve Vai.....he gets pretty close to fusion stuff in a lot of things.

Anyway....

Jason Becker
Trey Spruance
Dan Mongrain
Johan Hallgren
John Levasseur
Muhammed Suiçmez
John Petrucci (although he's been kind of missing the boat for a while)
And some other people. Devin Townsend is quite good, his music isn't really guitar focused enough to get a real accurate evaluation, but.......he's great.

Oh thanks, Ive heard of necrophagist on BMR, there was some badass shredding at the end of that kirk hammet solo too, and it was in 1983

Kirk Hammet kicks ass, Master of Puppets, Blackened, Seek and Destroy, Shortest Straw, And Justice for All, in those songs he played some great solos. Kirk made solos that fit the music perfectly.

Life Sucks said:
Mohammed Suicmez
Chuck Schuldiner
Terrance Hobbs
Dave Mustaine
Alex Sklonik
Kai Hansen
Glen Tipton
KK Downing
Jeff Hanneman
Karl Sanders
James Murphy
Trey Azagthoth

this is not to say that all of these guitarists are the best composers, or play in bands that are favorites of mine.
\m/ got a good list there, though I can't say I've ever been too impressed with Mustaine

Mustaine is Impressive because he wrote so much music, Megadeth=Mustaine, Friedman, Poland, Young, Ellefson, Menza, Samuelson, and anyone else involved in megadeth hardly pitched in anything. He has written some amazing riffs, his solos are decent though.

Micheal Romeo is really underrated, in guitar world he was like #96 in the top 100 metal guitar players of all time, it was a bullshit list, but that was one of the high points of shit. Those 2 douches from korn were #38, way ahead of satriani and vai.

Phrozenspite said:
\m/ got a good list there, though I can't say I've ever been too impressed with Mustaine

I'm not impressed with Dave Mustaine either. He can not compose riffs or solos imo. He's fast, complex but does not form anything solid. Not a good rythmn guitarist nor consistant either but this is all just my opinion. Megadeth's 90's material especially is embarassingly bad. Metallica 'load' is even better than those albums by a long shot.

Kirk Hammet's solo's on the first 5 metallica cds are ace. They stick right in your mind and he had a great sense of melody. Kirks solo's really represented the lyrics and vibe of each song. He was memorable, use of technique's were great. Eventually most guitarists start to become less interesting over the years.

Yea they do, like after I heard Yngwie, and Chris Broderick, And more Pantera and Megadeth I started to think less and less of Kirk. Hes still good though, and Load and Reload are both Cheezy Cheezy albums, Id way rather listen to megadeth, besides risk.

Load,Reload are not nearly as cheesy as 90's Megadeth. Songs like A Tout Le Monde,Crush 'Em,Moto Psycho,Die Dead Enough are wicked cheesy especially. Megadeth has always had a mega cheese factor. Dave Mustaine is a nerdy guy, it actually comes through in his music,lyrics. I can't really take Megadeth seriously. He takes some of the worst 80's infleunces into his music. His vocals are awful and good ammount of Megadeth songs are pure comedy.

As a guitarists he's not in the same league with Kirk,Dimebag,Chris Broderick,Jeff Loomis etc... which are not in the same league with Andy from King Diamond and Hank Sherman from Mercyful Fate.

If you want to hear some really nice soloing check out Solitude Aeturnus. No one ever mentions their guitarists for who knows why.