Best Metal Guitar Players

I forgot to mention Bruce Franklin,Rick Wartell from Trouble who are some of the best metal players.

I would like to know the best Steve Vai album to get. I haven't heard too much of his stuff. Please don't argue with each other just post your #1 Steve Vai album ONLY. one of you posted a picture of him with a symphany on another thread, where could I hear the results of that? Thanks.

The picture of him with the orchestra was his 'Aching Hunger' show with the Metropole orchestra from last year (he did another one this year). As of now, the only way you can hear it is a "bootleg" recording of the radio broadcast of the show. It's partially the orchestra playing some music he wrote for them and partially his songs arranged to include orchestra and him playing with them. For an easily available amazing orchestra track, download "Lotus Feet" from his newest album.

His albums have stylistic differences basically. If you're a really big Devin Townsend band, you might actually want to get 'Sex And Religion' first, as it's more like a "rock" album with a 19 year old Devin Townsend on vocals.

Otherwise, I would say start with 'Passion And Warfare'. It's easily his most famous album. There's nothing else like it from anyone else. It's a good starting point, although each of his albums have a bit of a different style, with sometimes less guitar involvement, which is not a bad thing.

Short version:

If you love Devin Townsend, start with Sex And Religion.

Otherwise, I'm voting for Passion And Warfare. If you're buying at a store, check the used bins. I don't know if you'll find Passion And Warfare, but there are always $5 copies of Sex And Religion in the used bins. (and a few others)

Barking Pumpkin said:
Short version:

If you love Devin Townsend, start with Sex And Religion.

Otherwise, I'm voting for Passion And Warfare. If you're buying at a store, check the used bins. I don't know if you'll find Passion And Warfare, but there are always $5 copies of Sex And Religion in the used bins. (and a few others)

Thanks man. I actually do love Devin Townsend (watch me get severly bashed now), but thanks.