Best non-melodic metal vocalist ?

Bruticus

Jul 25, 2014
Cheese
I'm bored.
No power/prog opera metal shit, just groove/death/black/extreme vocalists, growls and harsh vocals.

Give your Top 3.

Frank Mullen (Suffocation)
Karl Willets (during Bolt Thrower)
Nocturno Culto (Darkthrone)

3 is pretty limited, but these guys just hit the sweet spot for me. Others are Ross Dolan (Immolation), Lord Worm (Cryptopsy), Craig Pillard (Incantation), Chalky (Psycroptic), Antti Boman (Demilich), Rain Pohlak (Neoandertals), Dave Ingram (Benediction, Honour Valour Pride), Martin van Drunen (Asphyx, Pestilence, Hail of Bullets), Chris Reifert (Autopsy, Abscess), Daniel Corchado (The Chasm, Diabolical Conquest), Eric Harrison (Grief), Matti Way (Disgorge), A.J. Magana (Defeated Sanity, Consume the Forsaken), Vlad (Mordeth), Danny Nelson (Malignancy), Will Rahmer (Mortician), Dennis Schreurs (Severe Torture)...

Reactions: Phylactery
Nocturno is definitely my favourite black metal vocalist. His performance on A Blaze is almost unparalleled for me. Abrasive, wretched and downright nasty. He’s great on Transylvanian Hunger as well.

Daniel Corchado (specifically on From the Lost Years, Deathcult for Eternity, Procession to the Infraworld and Diabolical Conquest.)

Tomas Lindberg (specifically on the first two At the Gates and his work with Grotesque.)

M. (specifically on the Presence EP. Almost channeling prime Nocturno in its wretchedness.)

Draugr (on Toteslaut. Absolutely rotten and vile.)

David Vincent (on Altars and Blessed. Shame what his vocals have become today.)

Glen Benton (first two Deicide. Glen gets a lot of shit for his monotone growls, but he’s pretty monstrous on the first two Deicide.)

Sebastien Robitaille (Sorcier des Glaces. One of the best black metal vocalists today imo. Very versatile and full of character.)

Virgin Slaughter (Poison - Into the Abyss)

Ares (specifically the first two Aeternus. Absolutely beastly. Puts a lot of death metal vocalists to shame.)

Oh and I’ll mention the Dark Tribe vocalists. Fucking batshit, just like the music.

There’s loads more that I love, but this will do for now.

Reactions: CiG
@CiG

Lots of chilling moments in this one.

“I run through the mist-covered trees, I smell the children’s vital flesh, my howls freeze the earth, SMELL THE HORRID DEATH!”

And especially:

“I slash your neck, I tear out your entrails, I open up your chest, your blood and feed upon your heart!”

The whole album reeks of death and decay and the vocals perfectly match it.

Oh right. It’s a Mgla EP, but it’s much dirtier and rawer (and better imo) than anything they’d go on to do afterwards. And I just love the vocals.

for me you can't beat 1.David Vincent and 2.Glenn Benton, clearly ahead of the curve at this stuff. Pure power, huge presence. If you haven't, listen to Hatework by M.Angel, he's just pouring lava out of his lungs.

Third might be... 3.Burton C.Bell from Fear Factory. Huuuuge amounts of power from him too.
at 0:35 fkng savagery.

Fear Factory’s vocals are too shouty for me. Not a fan of that style.

“Linchpin” was a pretty big hit when I was about 14 at my school. All the moshers listened to it. All I remember is that he sounds like he’s screaming “God give me a pie!”

Also, Vincent was in his prime on Blessed are the Sick imo. Guttural but intelligible and full of charisma. He’d grown pretty weak by Domination and today he’s terrible.

Last edited:
Yeah, Fear Factory is just bad in general.

For me:

Abbath
Martin Van Drunen
Attila Csihar
Jon Tardy
Glen Benton
Chris Barnes (only in Cannibal Corpse though)
Chris Bailey
Tom Araya (on the first three albums only)

Yeah, Fear Factory is just bad in general.

For me:

Abbath
Martin Van Drunen
Attila Csihar
Jon Tardy
Glen Benton
Chris Barnes (only in Cannibal Corpse though)
Chris Bailey
Tom Araya (on the first three albums only)
Obituary's John Retardy lol ? He's everything that's wrong with death metal vocals.

Shoutout to Barney from Napalm Death.