Best of 2006...so far

Random Axe

Common Sense Man!
Sep 27, 2002
Cincinnati, OH
Visit site
Here's an abbreviated list of stuff I've picked up this year and a few thoughts with each one. I come from a melodic prog metal background, so keep that in mind when reading.

Cloudscape/Crimson Skies - This will be out in June and is a natural continuation of their debut, which has similarities to Royal Hunt and Last Tribe. The melodies and hooks are there, just a little more buried in the slightly more complex arrangements. If you liked the first, this is a no-brainer.

Andromeda/Chimera - This is likely the one that would be most appreciated on this board. They went back and really concentrated on the melody structures here while maintaining a healthy dose of complexity and progressiveness. This is one of the tightest guitar/keyboard duo I've heard and that keyboard sound is just so sick! Many have complained that the singer isn't suited for this material, and I was one of them. He totally redeems himself in my eyes and just slays these tunes. This is first rate, dynamic prog metal the likes of which we rarely see.

Sphere of Souls/From the Ashes - If I werre to write a mini review of this it would sound just like the above. Classy, atmospheric and dynamic prog metal with terrific interplay with guitar and keys. THe singer has much more range here and uses it to full capacity. They really have balanced out the aggressive and the tender moments quite nicely to create a very cool concept album. Awesome stuff.

Age of Nemesis/Terra Incognita - I don't think this will be out till late Summer, but it's going to be huge. THis was originally released in HUngarian years ago and has been re-recorded with English lyrics. Have no fear, though as the translations and the accents are minimalistic and barely noticeable, and I'm a stickler with accents. Talk about range. This guy jumps three octaves in the same measure and back down without losing a bit of control. This is squarely in the DT Awake era, but that's a pretty good era to be influenced by. Magna Carta(ugh)is releasing this sometime in 06.

Jadis/Photoplay - Pretty good follow up to Fanatic, though not as melodic. I found myself dozing off during parts of this. I do like Gary's vocals, I just wish he had more than a seven note range. I'll keep giving this spins.

Solid Vision/THe Hurricane - Kind of obscure Italian prog metal with very heavy DT influence since they are formerly a DT cover band. Musically, this is a very impressive piece of work. This is what DT might have sounded like had they continued down the Awake path instead of venturing into parts unknown. However, the vocals are killing this for me. THe accent and the lyrics are in broken English and is distracting. I'm warming up to it a little bit, though. When he sings f@#king tornado, which is kind of a goofy thing to say anyway even correctly pronounced, it comes out as "fawking tour-nadd-oohhh". Vocals aside, this rocks.

I've spent most of the year picking up older stuff I missed out on like the Toto catalog and all of the Triumph albums. Yeah, I missed a lot over the years and it's costing me...

Scott

I was gonna wait til June to do a 1/2-way pt on this, but it seems like in Feb/March/April a ton of albums came out..and then a lot of the other biggies are going to be in Sept aside from Muse and The Mars Volta supposedly.

But anyway, I have a list, without much write up. I will say right now my clear cut #1 album is Pure Reason Revolution - THE DARK THIRD..incredible disc..flows totally well as 1 long piece. Mute Math's Self-titled full-length debut is also right next door as a disc I have been playing a ton.seeing them live again in 2 days too.

Kyle

well for the moment Toto - Falling In Between is still in my cd player and still dig it. What else ? Well Jetliner - Space Station is not very progressive but as a Queen fan it touches me a lot.
Andromeda - Chimera is definitely one of 2006's highlights.
Beyond Twilight - The Love Of Art And The Making is also damn brilliant.

I also have very high expectations about ACT's upcoming album Silence

What I can't stop spinning the past few weeks:

Vision Divine:
The Perfect Machine and Stream of Consciousness.......

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Holy crap I can't wait to see these guys in Atlanta in Sept!

For some reason I can't get into Perfect Machine, but I absolutely love Stream. Now if you want something a little different, try the singer's solo project, Michele Luppi's Heaven. It's more along the lines of Foreigner and Journey, but it's well done for what it is, AOR. It might be harder to track down, so be prepared.

Scott

Jim you have a way with words :kickass: hey wood for sure :lol:

Hands down the best of 06 thus far! John Mitchell is becoming one of my all time favorite songwriters and has such a great voice as well as being an incredible guitarists, he is the man! It seems anything he is involved in is over the top and just terrific.

JJ's bass is absolutly kick ass as well, everything rocks on this one. I give it a 10 for a prog disc, most progressive music these days is dead compared to this one.

They were just added to ROSfest next spring as well so you can catch them in the states. I hope they make it out this way.

Frost is awesome!

Good call! :headbang:

jjmannford said:
FROST* - Milliontown and it will be my favorite of 2006

Not out yet but I have heard it on Podcasts and it is Progtastic! The 26min Title track gives me a big honking BONER.

Ed,
Joni is great....very "progressive" in many respects. I got COURT AND SPARK from the library last year and loved it.

Since my last post, I'd definitely add Muse's BLACKHOLES AND REVELATIONS..the new Mars Volta which leaked, and another leak, Kaddisfly's SET SAIL THE PRARIE..I cannot stop playing this record. When it comes out, I truly hope more people get to hear this. What an improvement! and a perfectly crafted concept record. These are infectious as hell!

Kyle

Going now for "Milliontown", too. Very nice songs, breathing some 80ties air (like Kino did, but in another way). Only one thing doesn't please me that much: I'd like to hear John Mitchell sing alone, I don't like Jem Godfrey's voice that much.

And, yes: the new muse-output is really great. :)

Muse--Black Holes and Revelations tops my list right now. Seeing them last week at the Concourse in SF was very cool. They put on a really engaging show, and definitely have their own sound, yet I heard flashes of everything from Prince to Styx to U2 and even a touch of Heart, and more, in their music. I like that blending of classic and new & quirky. Great show and wonderful album. I suggest seeing them if they're playing near you...

Kristin
via

i saw some live-footage that was recorded some years ago. they didn't use keys on stage, matthew played all the keys stuff on his guitar which was quite impressing! it was a very tough and loud experience.
do they use samples and keys now?

adding
slayer: christ illusion

listen to "cult" on www.slayer.net

this is fucking old school and very impressing.
I always need some hard facts, too. :)
Do you all know "grip.inc", the half german band with dave "slayer" lombardo on drums?
the album "nemesis" is a killer. my favorite: "rusty nail"

Stoffi said:
you're right, the new slayer is great.
i also know grip inc., the best song on nemesis in my opinion is pathetic liar - great riff!
New slayer is killer I just love it !
About Grip Inc, there's this instrumental "Bug Juice" which definitely kicks ass !