Best of 2006...so far

Burke said:
What I can't stop spinning the past few weeks:

Vision Divine:
The Perfect Machine

I'd have to agree with you there :) Though only The Perfect Machine, I've had more than my fill of Stream over the years (all two of them, sheesh!) :p

Frameshift : Absence of Empathy (also, 2005 not 2006)
Eldritch : Neighbourhell (Probably their worst album though something about it is quite addicting to listen to. Overall it's very similar to Annihilator - All For You)
Heed : The Call (Just found out about them and must say that they're growing on me. Worth a look for more mainstream oriented powermetal fans. Also 2005 along with Frameshift)

Aside from those, don't forget to pick up the new Into Eternity and Blind Guardian (when they come out of course)

In recent weeks, I've come across some more 2006 releases that I am really liking.

Anathallo - FLOATING~WORLDS ..this band cannot do anything bad. Very unique blend of Horns and guitar harmonies. Very percussive and acoustic at times. And the vocal harmonies really fit their sound.

Opus Dai - TIERRA TRAGAME, debut record. Their sound could be described as Marillion meets System Of A Down. They are well received by Dredg fans especially.

Under The Influence Of Giants - S/T..just heard this today for the 1st time. I saw them open for MuteMath back in May and remember liking them. They are quite catchy, and really capture a lot of the 70's funk/disco vibe of the Bee Gees, Earth, Wind And Fire and Stevie Wonder. Their drummer Jamin Wilcox, is the son of Willie Wilcox who has played drums with Hall And Oates. Their myspace http://www.myspace.com/thegiants has neat tribute to Steely Dan's "Do It Again" and Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" mixed together, lol called "Over The Confluence"

Kyle

My top album of 2006 so far actually came out at the very very end of 2005, but I am counting it anyway...it is:

IZZ - My River Flows

These guys are unbelievable. Check them out if you haven't.

Beyond that, I am the new Muse album (Black Holes and Revelations), as well as the Frost album, the new Tangent album, and the new one from Brian Vander Ark.

Alan

A.C.T - Silence

Simply amazing stuff, probably one of the best albums I've ever bought (though I'll have to wait a few years before I can decide :rolleyes:)

If you haven't already done so, go out and buy it!!

-------------------------
What are you listening to?

Sensory Lullaby - Banana Peels
(the closest thing to Jellyfish I've found so far :loco:)

^^I hear ya on MuteMath. Their remastered/re-released S/T album with the Live EP sounds even better. Saw them a few weeks ago for the 3rd time..and again they blew me away. MM are a can't miss live act.

here's some of the stuff I've gotten into recently:

Zero Hour - SPECS OF PICTURES BURNT BEYOND..I am really digging their new, fresh approach with Chris Salinas, formerly of Power Of Omens, on vocals. And esp a lot of the classic Zero Hour intricate layers and syncopation exists. My only issue thus far is the record is a bit short..leaving you wanting more, but that is a a product of how good this album is.

Brazil - THE PHILOSOPHY OF VELOCITY..I just discovered this band who may be most similar to Coheed And Cambria or The Receiving End Of Sirens. Catchy melodies, lots of piano. I am liking their previous album a bit more for consistency, but their are still some nice moments on here.

Amplifier - INSIDER..like Brazil, a new band to me. British indie-prog metal you could say. Their S/T debut I think I like more, but from the couple of times I've heard this, their were still a lot of heavy/wall-of-sound..electro-metal moments that i enjoy a lot from their debut record.

The Decemberists - THE CRANE WIFE...this band I have meant to check out for a few months and finally this weekend heard some by them and really dug a lot of it. They are like a modern folky-prog Jethro Tull or Fairport Convention. Lots of layers of acoustic and minimalistic vocals. I have a feeling this could be a grower.

House Of Fools - S/T EP..very excited to finally hear their debut EP. These guys are a really fun band, elements that remind me of Jellyfish.

The Mars Volta - "Amputechture": picked it up today! Sounds pretty rockin'!

I'll have to check out Amplifier... indie-prog metal sounds intriguing.