Best Opeth Album

Opeth's best Album in your opinion?

• Total voters
in limbow said:
deliverance- complex, genius arrangements, haunting lyrics and death metal vox, brutal yet beautiful
ghost reveries- the most mature opeth album, most songs are finely crafted and spellbinding, keyboard adds a new dimension to the heavy sound

Deliverance isn't even close to being genius. In fact, it is quite the opposite.

Ghost Reveries is only "the most mature", because it is the most developed Opeth sound (i.e. due to the time of it's release, it is as developed as they have become). If it had been released first, it would be ignored for all eternity. That and the songs aren't at all finely crafted. The keyboards are cop-outs and cover up the flaws of the album - that being that without heavier use of keyboards, it would have been Deliverance part 2.

Your favourite album doesn't have to be genius. It doesn't even have to be something I approve of :)p). But my point still stands and to me, the music in Deliverance is totally bland.

Hi, I am at a loss as to why the Band Opeth are constantly bashed by whoever on this BBS, of which the band by one way or another are financing...

Please, define genius and when condemning aspects of sound, lyrical content or whatever...provide reference points ie: what equipment do you play your Opeth + others :( on ? what is your sound room listening environment ect.

Genius = 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration, Mikael is definately a genius, the rest of Opeth probably are as well.

I am trying to come up with some prog chat but since life changing aspects beyond my control, my vinyl collection remains in storage, a little away from where I live :(

I am wondering what Mikael spins his vinyl treasures on, Transcription motor, Tone-arm and cartridge? MM or MC :) + the rest of his replay system?

Check out this beauty below... :)

http://imf-electronics.com/tt/index.html

Btw if you are wondering about my avitar, check this link below... hehe

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Leak_Amp/Pangs25A005.jpg

25 watt Class AB2 biased Valve/Tube mono-blocks, circa 1950's.

Professional Audio Kit designed for the theatre and/or PA applications.

If anyone would like to see pics of the Hi-fi domestic 12 watt 0.1 version, please ask.

The people who designed the above were geniuses of the highest order imho, agree?

Back on topic, I can't take part in these polls because I don't have Orchid or Deliverence as yet, I've got everything else though :)

misfit said:
Deliverance isn't even close to being genius. In fact, it is quite the opposite.

Ghost Reveries is only "the most mature", because it is the most developed Opeth sound (i.e. due to the time of it's release, it is as developed as they have become). If it had been released first, it would be ignored for all eternity. That and the songs aren't at all finely crafted. The keyboards are cop-outs and cover up the flaws of the album - that being that without heavier use of keyboards, it would have been Deliverance part 2.

That's your opinion (about Deliverance).
And even without the keyboards GR would sound different because the songs are more upbeat, in a way, and just sound different in general

As most of you probably know, I only have Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Ghost Reveries on CD. I've also heard "Black Rose Immortal" from Morningrise which I have to say has far stronger acoustic sections than anything on the aforementioned three albums with a more authentic Scandinavian metal feel to it in the heavier sections, if relatively melodic compared to their domestic contemporaries *cough*At the Gates. Its major fault is that the musicianship and production isn't nearly as tight, refined or polished as it is in their later material, it sounds relatively amateurish up against the amazingly fluid, compulsively listenable Blackwater Park.

It's tough to decide which is the strongest album between BWP and Deliverance. Deliverance has a muscularity to its sound that is missing from BWP, I always thought sections of BWP sounded goofy, particularly in "The Leper Affinity" while acoustic passages and clean vocals are integrated into Deliverance's songs with more subtely than before. More of BWP's qualities are on the surface which makes it more attractive in a lot of ways. Any Metallica or Anthrax fan could stick it on and fall in love with it, it has a transcedant charm to it without having to feel in any way like a compromise (more than what can be said for Ghost Reveries).

misfit said:
What The Fuck? Neither of the comments you made make any sense whatsoever.
Heh. No, actually, it made perfect sense.

Orchid and Morningrise didnt use CHORDS. They pretty much shredded the guitars in those albums.

Moving on to MAYH, Opeth actually made a huge usage of chords and riffs.

'Ghost Reveries' for me please.....

I just picked up the vinyl and it sounds 10 times better than the CD I borrowed from a friend to do the "sound check".

Thank you SATAN. :dopey:

blimey said:
Heh. No, actually, it made perfect sense.

Orchid and Morningrise didnt use CHORDS. They pretty much shredded the guitars in those albums.

Moving on to MAYH, Opeth actually made a huge usage of chords and riffs.

ok, you tell me how this makes any sense then =>

you said:
Many people like the older Opeth more than Orchid and Morningrise because the first 2 are all "twin guitar harmonies" and ... well ... very little riffage. We need riffage damnit (thats why MAYH owns so hard).

1. the word "chords" is not mentioned. but apprarently, neither orchid or morningrise had any riffs. must have all been done vocally aye?
2. what the fuck (as mentioned before) does; "people like the older opeth (i.e. orchid & morningrise) more than orchid and morningrise" mean?

Heh. No. It made absolutely no-sense.

Helleanor said:
Well,for me blackwater park's the best opeth album ever!!:headbang:

BP is not a bad album.
The problem is that when I picked it up I expected too much after the reviews I read on the Greek Metal Hammer magazine and I got a bit disappointed.
Unfortunately the guy who was writing the reviews was promising too much.

When I first heard GR, it was on a buss ride from Rauma to Tampere and it totally blew me away.
I guess the hole situation affected a bit my opinion: darkness, snow and forests all around........ :)

Now that I've heard their albums...

1.) Deliverance - Their most subtle album, with probably the most difficult time signatures. Only weak spot is "By the Pain I See in Others"

2.) Blackwater Park - For atmosphere, clarity and amazing variety in texture and dynamics.

3.) My Arms Your Hearse - Beautiful acoustic sections complemented by brutal aggression.

4.) Still Life - Deserves credit for stripping down some of the heavier excesses of MAYH and for giving their music more of a progressive edge. The songwriting and melodies aren't as MAYH though.

5.) Damnation - A very brave album. Strange with it being Deliverance's supposedly lighter counterpart, that it should have a darker title. Although it doesn't involve any distorted riffs or tortured growls and howls, Damnation is still bleak stuff.

6.) Morningrise - Probably Opeth's most melodic metal album. The songs are quite immediate. "The Night and the Silent Water" has a beautiful riff that just grabs you.

7.) Ghost Reveries - Great album by most other metal bands' standards but the songwriting is weak. The unsubtle use of mellotrons is a bit of a turn-off and it doesn't feel as if the band has developed its sound from Deliverance and that they've regressed back to Blackwater Park territory. No disrespect to BWP, but I really loved Deliverance, and I want to see the band go forwards no backwards, or else their material is simply going to get stagnant. Worse still, the wintery feel of all previous albums had been polished away. That being said, it is probably Opeth's tightest, most technically accomplished and most accessible album

8.) Orchid - Surprisingly heavier than Morningrise. It unfortunately can't be helped that this is their most basic, most shabbily produced album. Many sections of the songs could have been stripped down. It's clear that they had a lot of pretentions at the time but lacked the necessary technical skills to realise them. There are a lot of strong moments on the album though and it shows a lot of promise, nobody with half a brain could call it bad.

misfit said:
ok, you tell me how this makes any sense then =>

1. the word "chords" is not mentioned. but apprarently, neither orchid or morningrise had any riffs. must have all been done vocally aye?
2. what the fuck (as mentioned before) does; "people like the older opeth (i.e. orchid & morningrise) more than orchid and morningrise" mean?

Heh. No. It made absolutely no-sense.
You fucking moron.... I'm just saying that Orchid and Morningrise weren't using many chords, or as I referred them to, riffs. They were using twin guitar harmonies where they would "shred". Only after MAYH Opeth starting using chords and riffage as the major parts of their songs.

Example of twin harmonies: anything on morningrise.
Example of riffing/chords: anything on deliv/bwp/mayh/sl (although SL was mixed).

Edit: if you haven't noticed, I meant "newer" as opposed to "older". If you can't figure that out, shut the fuck up because you're a dumbass. If you decide to bitch about a typo, shut the fuck up because you're an asshole.

Revolllution said:
it doesn't feel as if the band has developed its sound from Deliverance and that they've regressed back to Blackwater Park territory.

Did you know that Deliverance and Damnation were recorded simultaneously and originally meant to be released as a double album? Both albums were experiments exploring the opposite extremes of Opeth's sound, so I don't consider Deliverance a part of their development. I think GR follows the path of Deliverance and Damnation put together quite nicely.

blimey said:
You fucking moron.... I'm just saying that Orchid and Morningrise weren't using many chords, or as I referred them to, riffs. They were using twin guitar harmonies where they would "shred". Only after MAYH Opeth starting using chords and riffage as the major parts of their songs.

Example of twin harmonies: anything on morningrise.
Example of riffing/chords: anything on deliv/bwp/mayh/sl (although SL was mixed).

Edit: if you haven't noticed, I meant "newer" as opposed to "older". If you can't figure that out, shut the fuck up because you're a dumbass. If you decide to bitch about a typo, shut the fuck up because you're an asshole.
OMFG Blimey calm the fuck down! Arguments suck plumber's caulk.

- the Somewhat Fat Guitarist