Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toxik - World Circus

• Atrophy - Socialized Hate

• Darkness - Defenders of Justice

• Total voters
I hate that kind of postulation because it states that "if totally key aspect A of genre X weren't present and instead replaced with aspect B, it would be genre Y"...well, no fucking shit?

to be fair he doesn't really do that, although it could've been worded better. easy to see what he's getting at.

i agree vic is a bit of a dogmatic prick, doesn't mean you've got to automatically dismiss everything he says matthew. i miss his fights with morney :(

It's not even that I always disagree with him, it's that he's just fucking annoying. I hate people who use terms like "CNN-metal."

It's not even that I always disagree with him, it's that he's just fucking annoying. I hate people who use terms like "CNN-metal."

especially when applying it to MoP. people should stop before they post anything on a forum and ask themselves 'would ultraboris say this?'. if yes, consider alternative options.

RTL will always remain my favorite from Metallica, especially song writing wise.
:kickass:

So people voted for Metallica so what, Metallica was a beast in the 80's. So what if they didn't follow the thrash rules, fuck rules, rules are made to be broken and that's what Metallica did they broke the barrier.
What barrier? The shitty albums to follow barrier? And the thread is about thrash...

...and Unfaithfully Metalhead enters in my ignore list.
ummm and i care why? :lol:

I agree, but you didn't address my point. My point was that even if the relationship was souring, it's not like Metallica went for a big Bob Rock style production with AJFA. If anything it was quite the opposite.
No, they didn't as you pointed out. But something in that album at the time led me to believe they were heading that way and they did.

btw sorry I took too long to reply. I was without a computer for a week and had to buy a new one. Best Buy had some pretty good deals at 18 months no interest.

Because the lyrics aren't what I was referring to.
But you do agree that they are important to a songs feel and atmosphere no?

Oh, so it's all about heart tickling. Of course.
nope but one of the reasons.

Well pretty much, yeah.
not necessarily... that is your criteria... I would say it's different for everyone.. and some albums with not so great production is considered up there...

So Harvester of Sorrow and Eye of the Beholder kept them in the Billboard Top 100? Strange considering they didn't even get there as singles...
One pretty much did that as for the songs aforementioned... they weren't released as singles correct? And if they were perhaps they would of kept the album in it's 100 run... we'll never know now.. but it's possible..

Weird, I saw diehards loving AJFA everywhere when it came out. There was a frenzy of diehard metalheads there when they toured for the album.
Define diehards because to me it was the fans from the beginning... with KOA or the first 3 albums and not the ones who jumped on the bandwagon with AJFA...

Your post didn't tell me anything about how One is a more commercial song than Fade To Black besides the video/MTV aspect.
Was just more radio friendly sounding especially edited versions... I really don't think F2B would of been as successful at that moment in time if it was released as a single or video...

Ok for the sake of argument lets say that thrash was a mainstream genre (I mean fair enough Metallica did reach the charts, although I don't think I could say the same for Slayer or Megadeth, though I could be wrong), how was it then "not mainstream" in 88?
with the exception of Metallica, other bands didn't break through yet but then again the Grunge movement killed that not too far in the future after 1988.

I believe you, but that's irrelevant to this discussion.
yes irrelevant and i said it as well in my post but just wanted to point that out anyways.

So why didn't you mention them?
Because it went without saying so to speak... it was a given...

So what you've been essentially saying all this time is that your feeling about AJFA being a "more accessible", "more commercial" affair where you could tell that Metallica were "moving away from their thrash roots" all comes down to not rational analysis of the musical aspects of the album, but to the 'tickling of your metal heart'. Awesome.
Both... anyways let's just say we disagree with each other on the album... it is only opinion after all and not scientific fact... and i respect your opinion... excluding what we argued I still don't consider it a thrash album and definetly not the best thrash album of 88'. I don't know if you can agree with that.

In the most "no homo" way possible of course.
I should hope so :lol:

btw sorry I took too long to reply. I was without a computer for a week and had to buy a new one. Best Buy had some pretty good deals at 18 months no interest.

What were we talking about again?

But you do agree that they are important to a songs feel and atmosphere no?

Nowhere near as important as the music itself.

One pretty much did that as for the songs aforementioned... they weren't released as singles correct? And if they were perhaps they would of kept the album in it's 100 run... we'll never know now.. but it's possible..

Yeah the others were released as singles, and they didn't make the top 100, that was my point.

Define diehards because to me it was the fans from the beginning... with KOA or the first 3 albums and not the ones who jumped on the bandwagon with AJFA...

Diehards as in metalheads, people who had loved the band for years etc.

Was just more radio friendly sounding especially edited versions... I really don't think F2B would of been as successful at that moment in time if it was released as a single or video...

Pure speculation. The songs themselves are very similar, if anything Fade to Black sounds a tad 'nicer' or 'more radio friendly' to my ears than One.

with the exception of Metallica, other bands didn't break through yet but then again the Grunge movement killed that not too far in the future after 1988.

But thrash was at its biggest between 86-88, so still I dunno what you were/are getting at.

Because it went without saying so to speak... it was a given...

Oh, of course :lol:

Both... anyways let's just say we disagree with each other on the album... it is only opinion after all and not scientific fact... and i respect your opinion... excluding what we argued I still don't consider it a thrash album and definetly not the best thrash album of 88'. I don't know if you can agree with that.

Well being as we both voted for the same album, I'm pretty sure we can agree that AJFA wasn't the best of 88. But it's most definitely a thrash album, and yes this is scientific fact, tested in a laboratory with a large sample size randomized controlled trial and everything.

I think the Metallica and Slayer are the only ones I've heard, and I liked the Metallica better.