Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toxik - World Circus

• Atrophy - Socialized Hate

• Darkness - Defenders of Justice

• Total voters
How the fuck is AJFA more simple than the 3 before it? It has longer more complex songs that are angry and heavy, One single on an album can change ones opinion on an album?

AJFA is Incredible.

Blackened and Holy Wars are pretty even...Both Fantastic songs.
The chording and riffs are not that complex and longetivity does not make a song complex. Angry and Heavy? Have you even heard the first 3 albums? Because they are alot more angrier and heavy then AJFA... even with KEA's simplicity and catchiness... and it is not "One" single that gives me my opinion about AJFA...

AJFA = good but definetly not great or incredible...

Blackened = good
Holy Wars = great

And you're telling him he is wrong, thus making that whole statement hypocritical.
I'm merely pointing it out to him as you did except directly... :p

And with that, I block you into obscurity.
:lol:

MOP is a very accessible album, AJFA is less so if only by virtue of being a weirdly produced mess with some really quite savage riffs randomly housed in there. it overextends like fuck, but it is not a fucking sellout album - it's really ambitious. i wonder if some of you have even heard this album.
I respectfully disagree... about savage riffs, accessibility compared to MOP... by AJFA they slowed it down a notch and became less heavy though still heavy by general standards... and yes I heard the album over and over when it first came out in 1988. I even saw them live during that tour two or 3 times and even recorded one of the concerts on tape... wouldn't mind transferring to CD... i liked Kirk's solo if i remember correctly... though he uses the Wah Wah too much...

AJFA has this raw, bleak, monotonal quality to it, like all the hope has been sucked out of it leaving nothing but menacing shadows. there was a time when i'd claim the messy song structures lined the overall sound like a cobweb, but no, often they truly have no internal logic to speak of. but either way, it's metallica's most atmospheric, difficult album, and for all its faults it's still quite a mean collection of songs. it isn't significantly slower than MOP either, not sure what you're talking about there.

i think master of puppets is metallica's most 'perfect' album, the one in which the songwriting is most polished. take the first two tracks as the prime examples; every solo, every variation on the riffs, every intonation in james' voice and every drum roll is pretty much second-by-second perfect. apart from the odd misstep the whole thing's practically faultless for what it is. AJFA on the other hand has a different kind of charm in its sloppiness, looseness, its wild and ambitious digressions and above all, as said above, its unique atmosphere. it's a weaker album than either MOP or my personal favourite RTL, but it deserves its status as classic, and doesn't even remotely warrant the scorn it's receiving here.

it's a weaker album than either MOP or my personal favourite RTL, but it deserves its status as classic, and doesn't even remotely warrant the scorn it's receiving here.
Other then it's a weaker album then MOP/RTL i still disagree with you on what you said about it including it being a classic but to each his own...

I do agree with you on RTL though... and MOP to a certain extent...

I think that MOP is more accessible than AJFA (marginally), largely due to the production & song structures on AJFA, with the notable exception of One. AJFA has a very raw guitar sound. I believe MOP is a little more polished in this department.

Overall i think MOP is a better album, but RTL is best of the bunch.

Dyers Eve is a fucking crushing song...

Overall it just comes down to opinion.. i don't think you can say person A has no idea about metal just because they have a different viewpoint. People like different things, which is a good thing. :)

AJFA has this raw, bleak, monotonal quality to it, like all the hope has been sucked out of it leaving nothing but menacing shadows

Yes, I've always felt like this too. AJFA is malign in a way very few thrash metal albums are. And the anger and desperation on this album has always felt much more genuine than in your average forced speed/thrash.

YES

Have you ever heard The Frayed Ends Of Sanity?
Considering I've been listening to Metallica since 1985-6 and I already stated that I was in High School when AJFA came out and i listened to the album at the time over and over and seen them 2 or 3 times in concert during THAT tour as well as recorded one of the concerts which I have on tape. Yes I would have to say i heard Frayed Ends of Sanity... the song is the very least one that impresses me on that album imo... any other questions about if i heard the rest of the songs on AJFA or not? Btw I have T shirts from that year from that album want them? They are a little old and worn lol since you don't seem to believe i heard the album or I came from that era...

I think that MOP is more accessible than AJFA (marginally), largely due to the production & song structures on AJFA, with the notable exception of One. AJFA has a very raw guitar sound. I believe MOP is a little more polished in this department.

Overall i think MOP is a better album, but RTL is best of the bunch.

Dyers Eve is a fucking crushing song...

Overall it just comes down to opinion.. i don't think you can say person A has no idea about metal just because they have a different viewpoint. People like different things, which is a good thing. :)
We'll said, and totally agree about RTL. And Dyers Eve is probably the only song i like on AJFA.

Yes, I've always felt like this too. AJFA is malign in a way very few thrash metal albums are. And the anger and desperation on this album has always felt much more genuine than in your average forced speed/thrash.
Actually , and this is jmo, I felt the opposite. That their supposed anger/desperation on that album was much more forced or non genuine then their previous albums and/or other speed/thrash bands who weren't strictly in it for the $$. In other words you sound more genuine if you don't care if the album sells 1 million copies or not.

Considering I've been listening to Metallica since 1985-6 and I already stated that I was in High School when AJFA came out and i listened to the album at the time over and over and seen them 2 or 3 times in concert during THAT tour as well as recorded one of the concerts which I have on tape. Yes I would have to say i heard Frayed Ends of Sanity... the song is the very least one that impresses me on that album imo... any other questions about if i heard the rest of the songs on AJFA or not? Btw I have T shirts from that year from that album want them? They are a little old and worn lol since you don't seem to believe i heard the album or I came from that era...

Cool story br0. Pretty sure it was a rhetorical question though.

Actually , and this is jmo, I felt the opposite. That their supposed anger/desperation on that album was much more forced or non genuine then their previous albums and/or other speed/thrash bands who weren't strictly in it for the $$. In other words you sound more genuine if you don't care if the album sells 1 million copies or not.

If they were strictly in it for the $$ by Justice, why would they use the same producer and the same album format as the previous two albums, only make it darker overall and with a less listener friendly production? Puppets and RTL both had power ballads as well, why do you assume that Justice was the point where they bowed down to the almighty dollar? Because the previous two happen to be better albums?

Cool story br0. Pretty sure it was a rhetorical question though.
Yah, I know. I was just being a wizeazz :loco:

If they were strictly in it for the $$ by Justice, why would they use the same producer and the same album format as the previous two albums, only make it darker overall and with a less listener friendly production? Puppets and RTL both had power ballads as well, why do you assume that Justice was the point where they bowed down to the almighty dollar? Because the previous two happen to be better albums?
About the only thing I agreed with them on that album was using the same producer but I think they listened to him very little in the making of that album compared to the previous two albums. And they switching to Bob Rock on the next one confirmed that. Darker? I think the previous two albums were darker with Death being the theme of RTL mostly and Drugs being the theme of MOP imo. I really really don't consider it a lesser listener friendly production. As for power ballads.. well One was more commercially viable then any ballad and such from the previous two. To me Fade to Black was alot darker then One. As for the almighty dollar, it just was at the point where they were moving away from thrash which at the time wasn't a mainstream genre. It was still thrash influenced but very less so and the next album proved that was the direction they were heading. I honestly knew at the time (1988) they were heading in that direction once I bought and heard AJFA.They became just a metal band but less heavier then their past. I told my friends at the time and all said nahhh they would never do that.. next year or so the Black album came out.. end of story...