Best Tool Album?

It's difficult to pick a favorite Tool album. I like things from all of them but I really like more of what's on Undertow, Aenima, Lateralus, and 10,000 Days. One of the things that impresses me the most each time I've seen them live is their incredible rhythm section. The precision of that thunderous bass/percussion combo, aka, 'the bottom end' is amazing. It floors me. A little backgound: During the last performance at the Sears Centre I'd been in a very somber mood at the time due to my dad passing away. I was sitting there still in the seat in the upper level for most of the show until certain passages would compel me move my head up down. Sections of Forty Six & 2 and Flood stand out in the memory banks as times when I thought my head would explode! Surely if that bottom end were a weapon it would be an unstoppable force while set on full stun mode (imo). ;) But what is a bottom end without all the cool stuff to go on top? Again, in my opinion the stuff up top, in the collective known as Tool, is as impressive as its support. I make these assertions based on experiences gained from the times I've seen them. My discovery of the band began with Undertow. The live experiences didn't begin until the Lateralus tour. I've read about some of the outrageous stage antics of tours prior to that but I have yet to see them on DVD, or whatever. Not sure I really want to because I really enjoy what they're like now, fwiw. My apologies in advance if the above seems like too much gushy fantard gibberish. I simply wish to add my 2c to the discussion. I don't think I'm a fantard if it implies one who concentrates their time on official band's said forum, seeks intricate details of said band members' personal lives, or subscribes to favorite band member's personal beliefs just because it's what they believe in. It it is hoped that the above is taken for what it is, and that would be an honest heartfelt assessment of what I like about the collective Tool experience. Granted I'm a relative n00b when it comes to the live experiences and it's all I have to back up my claims. Yet I feel there's something special about what happens when those four guys are on stage together. I don't think I can adequately explain it in words. Anyway, the SC event was as real as it gets. I left there trembling. This could have been due to the fact that I had to board a plane the next day, and I hate flying. Walking back to the car - trembling - I thought: Fuck it all, if the plane goes down I've just seen the best show ever! Ok, if fantard implies gushy heartfelt assessments then I'm guilty, guilty, GUILTY AS CHARGED. (By the way, your results may vary.) :p

i do really like tool, but sadly it does put me off knowing that fans are that fucking gay for the band. kinda the same with opeth too.
but the way you see people analysing the band you would swear they are as great as shakespeare or something.

i do really like tool, but sadly it does put me off knowing that fans are that fucking gay for the band. kinda the same with opeth too.
but the way you see people analysing the band you would swear they are as great as shakespeare or something.

They are not great as Shakespeare. They greater from Shakespeare.

It puts you in a transe that doesn't stop until the end of the second encore. Really, no words to describe it.
Have you ever been to a tool show? Since when has tool ever played an encore, let alone two?

Maynards best vocals are on Aenima and APC's Mer De Noms album. . . . I really think Mer De Noms is Maynards best album, but I'm still a bigger tool fan because of Aenima and Lateralus

I think APC was maynard's test to sell out a band, because they are incredibly overrated and can't even compare to the depth that maynard has had with tool.

Tool isn't my favorite band ever, but they sure as shit are better than the overplayed radio friend rock group named APC. Especially that damn 13th step album, musically boring and useless to the soul. Although, Mer De Noms wasn't too bad of an album, just not good.

BTW, if you hate tool, try going to one of their live shows and come back and tell me that you hate them again. It will be IMPOSSIBLE, the fucking INSANE live performance by them is just fucking NUTS.

What? Apc Kicks ass, TOOL is played on the radio just as much as APC, in fact probably a hella of a lot more. I always hear, the pot and Jiambia, not to mention their others songs from past albums

APC is brilliant, period. Its textured, epic dark rock music. Billy Howeredel knows how to create some awesome dream-like sounds, be it acoustic or electric, his style is pretty haunting and sophisticated. I don't deny that some APC songs are somewhat radio-friendly, but i wouldn't compare them to most radio-rock failures out there.

As a big Tool fan it's so hard for me to pick a favourite album. They're all so different. That's what I love about Tool, the musical progression shown on each album. I have to disagree with some people here and say that IMO 10,000 Days is as good as anything they've ever done. For me, it took a lot longer to get into than their other albums, but once I 'got' it... WOW o_O. I love the (relative) heaviness of Vicarious and Jambi, but I also love it when they stretch out on Wings For Marie and Rosetta Stoned (the climax of both those songs is fucking awesome). But out of all their albums, like most people, the one I find myself returning to most often is Lateralus. Undertow has a great raw feel to it (but please, tell me, who has actually listened to Disgustipated more than once?!). Aenima is great too, but has too many wanky tracks like Die Eier Von Satan and (-) Ions.

Jester-Race said:
the fucking INSANE live performance by them is just fucking NUTS.

Agreed. The first time I saw them was at Download 2006, I didn't really know what to think at first, but then they played 'Lateralus' and I just stood there transfixed. Fucking amazing. The opening chords of 'Schism' gave me fucking goosebumps. Then I saw them again a year later at Brixton Academy in London, and it was even better. The light show was just incredible. When they played 'Lateralus' at that show, for the solo they brought out fucking Herman Li from Dragonforce! :)

I'ld say Lateralus is best, simply because it is the only Tool album so far that can really hold my attention. I'm not at all a Tool fan. I like their sound very much, but I never really got into the songs, except for Lateralus. After that one, I even bought 10k days to give them another chance, but it bored me to death, so I gave it away lately ... although my kids loved the 3D lenses and pictures and wanted me to keep it for that reason alone. But that was another reason for me to give it away. The damn case doesn't really fit into a CD shelf :zombie:

I think APC was maynard's test to sell out a band, because they are incredibly overrated and can't even compare to the depth that maynard has had with tool.

Tool isn't my favorite band ever, but they sure as shit are better than the overplayed radio friend rock group named APC. Especially that damn 13th step album, musically boring and useless to the soul. Although, Mer De Noms wasn't too bad of an album, just not good.

BTW, if you hate tool, try going to one of their live shows and come back and tell me that you hate them again. It will be IMPOSSIBLE, the fucking INSANE live performance by them is just fucking NUTS.

Cmon, the only argument I can even possibly see for APC being more "poppy" than Tool is the fact their lyrics aren't near-impenetrable pseudo-intellectual wankery that get over-interpreted by a bunch of greasy shits in black t-shirts. Drop D Powerchord fests tend to be more hard rock radio friendly than whatever you'd call APC's sound. APC really is a lot more complex than people give them credit for, they just tend to make the weird time sig stuff sound extremely natural. I'm not a big fan of Emotive or w/e, but the first two albums have a lot of really stunning songs like Orestes, The Noose, Weak and Powerless, Brena, etc. Great band, and to say they're a "sell-out experiment" is total bullshit since tool is already insanely popular by hard rock standards and it's not like APC was writing songs like "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," they were screwing around with weird time sigs, much more complex harmonies than Tool, world music sounds and openly anti-religious themes (which will get you a lot of flak in this country).

Since we're comparing Tool and APC, I would say that Mer de Noms is as good or better than any Tool album. Tool is ok, but goddamnit Lateralus is quite possibly the most pretentious album I've heard in awhile, if only because of the fanboyism that surrounds it. Ænima is their best imo...they still had a somewhat raw sound, but the pretentiousness was obviously there (too many fillers).

Cmon, the only argument I can even possibly see for APC being more "poppy" than Tool is the fact their lyrics aren't near-impenetrable pseudo-intellectual wankery that get over-interpreted by a bunch of greasy shits in black t-shirts. Drop D Powerchord fests tend to be more hard rock radio friendly than whatever you'd call APC's sound. APC really is a lot more complex than people give them credit for, they just tend to make the weird time sig stuff sound extremely natural. I'm not a big fan of Emotive or w/e, but the first two albums have a lot of really stunning songs like Orestes, The Noose, Weak and Powerless, Brena, etc. Great band, and to say they're a "sell-out experiment" is total bullshit since tool is already insanely popular by hard rock standards and it's not like APC was writing songs like "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," they were screwing around with weird time sigs, much more complex harmonies than Tool, world music sounds and openly anti-religious themes (which will get you a lot of flak in this country).

I Agree totally. APC is musically more diverse and a bit better than Tool imo.

Since we're comparing Tool and APC, I would say that Mer de Noms is as good or better than any Tool album. Tool is ok, but goddamnit Lateralus is quite possibly the most pretentious album I've heard in awhile, if only because of the fanboyism that surrounds it. Ænima is their best imo...they still had a somewhat raw sound, but the pretentiousness was obviously there (too many fillers).

I hate hate hate hate when people talk ill of a band or album just because of how fans treat them/it. Keep bands and fans separate, please, it's very annoying.

I hate hate hate hate when people talk ill of a band or album just because of how fans treat them/it. Keep bands and fans separate, please, it's very annoying.

yep...i hate them even more now. lol. I do enjoy Lateralus btw, I just happen to find it very pretentious IMO.

In my opinion Lateralus is the best release they have to date, but I agree with those of you who stated Wings for Marie/10,000 Days is their best composition. Beautiful lyrics, I've been attempting to perform the vocals for some time now. Maynard has lungs of steel. My band had an idea of covering the song but making an acoustic number out of it. Sometimes, I think with Tool more effort and creativity could be put into the guitar parts and it seems it's more effects based then anything. Adam often takes over the role of the rhythm player for Justin while his bass parts become more of leads. Two very underrated tracks from Lateralus are Disposition and Reflection.