Black Metal Bass

kalmahbssplyr

black metal bassist
Jan 25, 2004
Abyss,CA
What's the best black metal bass bit, or bass solo you've ever heard in a black metal song.......

.......some of the best i've heard are ....."Death"-spirit Crusher and
Kalmah-Hades(just wish i new how to play the little intro bit)

:devil: o_O :yell:

Best bass in, or on a black metal song. No doubt it would be the band Keep Of Kalessin. The bassist known as Warach actually can be heard throughout every song! He has a normal bass tone you would here in a rock or metal band. In some of the songs on the Through Times Of War album, he'll do some melodic bass runs in the middle of a song. His bass is equal in the mix, along with the trebly, buzzsaw guitar riffs. Regardless, this band is one of the best relatively, but critically aclaimed black metal bands I have ever heard. I would say they sound a little like Marduk, early Emporer, and a little like early Ulver.

sorry for it being on twice but im pretty sure they're melodic black metal....and the bass solo for swamphell is the best balck metal bass solo i've heard......(sure it's short but so great....can any of you provide me with some tabs)

To me, they're death/thrash metal with a slight neo-classical touch. If they chose to, they would probably be a great black metal band, too. Black metal isn't called that because of the music, it's called black metal originally because of it's mostly satanistic lyrics/imagery.

Wolftribe said:
hmm yeah, most people i know refer to them as melodeath *shrugs* hence the CoB comparison i guess
but oh well, labels suck

I can understand some people that just give a brief listen to Kalmah, and instantly compare them to COB. But I think that's because they see that they're from Finland, and that they have melodic keyboard/guitar interplay. I like both bands, I tend to lean towards Kalmah alittle more, because they to me have a more unique sound, with a less polished, seething ,thrashyness to them. yeah Laiho(COB) and his band play solos a little better, but i don't know...I just like Kalmah better...it's hard to explain, without having an even longer reply!

Cob's solos are better?!?!?!?!? :eek: :guh: maybe you've never heard Antti playing!!!!!! :mad:

...how can a human being dare to say than Aleksi(or anybody else) plays guitar better than Antti... :bah:

Antti is the BEST guitarist in the whole fucking world!!! :kickass:

GOT IT?!?!?!?!? :yell:

:bah:

Bass solos are sadly so rare in black metal. But you can find a cool tapping part in 502 by Marduk.

Good solos in other metal kind :
Misanthrope - La druidesse du gevaudan
Death - The philosopher

PrincipleHero said:
Cob's solos are better?!?!?!?!? :eek: :guh: maybe you've never heard Antti playing!!!!!! :mad:

...how can a human being dare to say than Aleksi(or anybody else) plays guitar better than Antti... :bah:

Antti is the BEST guitarist in the whole fucking world!!! :kickass:

GOT IT?!?!?!?!? :yell:

:bah:
That's my opinion,yes. As I said before, I like Kalamh better as a band, though. John Petrucci is the best guitarist in the world, even if you don't like Dream Theater! I know Kalmah's guitarists are good, you don't have to panty bunch....I have all their albums, so I know how good they are, but there are other bands, though not as good, that have members who are better at their respective instruments, that's life man. It doesn't mean to me that those bands are any better as a whole.

ramses said:
That's my opinion,yes. As I said before, I like Kalamh better as a band, though. John Petrucci is the best guitarist in the world, even if you don't like Dream Theater! I know Kalmah's guitarists are good, you don't have to panty bunch....I have all their albums, so I know how good they are, but there are other bands, though not as good, that have members who are better at their respective instruments, that's life man. It doesn't mean to me that those bands are any better as a whole.

about that johm petrucci the best...well he isnt...i like his work(im a dream theater fan) but also a guitarplayer and you should listen to Paul Gilbert/Steve Vai or Joe Satriani for once and then make an opinion of the best guitarplayers of the world...really there are way sicker guitarplayers then John petrucci but still dream theatre and liquid tension expiriment ROCK!!!... :D

Jeff-Loomis-fan said:
about that johm petrucci the best...well he isnt...i like his work(im a dream theater fan) but also a guitarplayer and you should listen to Paul Gilbert/Steve Vai or Joe Satriani for once and then make an opinion of the best guitarplayers of the world...really there are way sicker guitarplayers then John petrucci but still dream theatre and liquid tension expiriment ROCK!!!... :D
Of course I have albums from Sat, Vai, and Gilbert. It's all opinion, anyway. Just as you would probably disagree that to me, Vai's best work was on the Alien Love Secrets ep. he shows on that ep that he can do more than just play technical guitar, and he doesn't always need to show off. I saw the G3 tour in Clearwater , Florida about two years ago when John Petrucci played first. The fans that were there to see Vai or Sat only asked, who was that guy? What band is he in? I used to think Sat and Vai couldn't be touched until Dream Theater came out in 88. I do feel that Paul Gibert is always overlooked, though. A lot of people just assume that he was just the Mr. Big guitarist, but I've been listening to him since the Racer X days! Another reason I think Petrucci is better because of who he is influenced by-Vai, Satriani, Steve Morse, Steve Howe.... and if you are influenced by those guys, you got to be awesome. (in most cases)

Wolftribe said:
heh yeah, john petrucci is damn good... not nearly the best

my vote goes to Michael Romeo

sorry to put u all down but ur all wrong about the best guitarist all those guitarist are special john from d.t...and kalmah well hes just too good.
but the best guitarist is STEVE VAI...old and still one of the best...see him play if u don't believe me

i dunno but vai i don't like him.... he is strange and i've seen some stuff where he played e.g. the g3 thing... i personal don't like him and the shredding stuff malmsteen does is just amazing... i just love it...
the kalmah solos are awesome aswell.... just amazing..., crazy... dunno just man they rock :loco:
sry but this is my opinion...
and to the other band members... the double base parts are too good aswell as the bass it just fits perfect... oh and than there is the 2nd guitar, makes it all come together a keyboard added to underline melody omg i can't say much more but awesome.... :worship: :Spin: