einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
your quest is over.

upload_2021-9-3_7-6-4.png

gold medal: vemod - venter på stormene
silver medal: dordeduh - dar de duh
bronze medal: nokturnal mortum - verity

some post-game discussion now that this is over, perhaps?

* what do you think of the final results?
* what was your best new discovery of the tournament and why was it vola?
* should we do more tournaments and what should they be like?
* other things that i can't think of

I think the top 3 are respectable choices, and probably fairly representative of the listening preferences of this forum both past and present.

Best new discovery for me was probably, predictably, Macabre Omen. I really enjoy that Elder album too.

I think we should do more tournaments yes. Probably smaller ones though. I liked it because it gave me a reason to listen to a bunch of stuff I haven't heard before when I'm normally really bad at that. Also, probably more importantly, it stimulates discussion on a dying internet forum. I don't think we should be too precious about what gets included as it just prolongs the selection process. So even if it was, let's vote on 32 albums randomly selected from NAD's music collection, for me it would still be fun as no doubt I'd listen to a bunch of stuff I've not heard before.

Reactions: einride and NAD
* I owned all three of these albums long before the tournament started, so I'm part of Royal Carnage Hive Mind.
* Vola > Deafhaven
* I wonder if Jerry will ever see these results of his tournament?
* SubRosa > Vola
* This tournament made me love Elder. I returned to a shelf turd of my own and turns out it rules.

I think we should do more tournaments yes. Probably smaller ones though. I liked it because it gave me a reason to listen to a bunch of stuff I haven't heard before when I'm normally really bad at that. Also, probably more importantly, it stimulates discussion on a dying internet forum. I don't think we should be too precious about what gets included as it just prolongs the selection process. So even if it was, let's vote on 32 albums randomly selected from NAD's music collection, for me it would still be fun as no doubt I'd listen to a bunch of stuff I've not heard before.
i wanna do a NON-metal tournament

might get pretty out there

not sure how many people would be up for giving chances to a bunch of random records they probably will hate tho

Reactions: Krilons Resa
also, i think my fav discovery was ludicra. i had previously totally written them off based on some other random songs i heard a million years ago but "the tenant" is a very interesting record that is right up my alley

macabre omen is great too but that was technically not a new discovery as i had heard it before (just not very much)

I'm going to listen to all 3 of those records. Haven't even spun the Dor De Duh in it's entirety yet. Those guys even personalized and signed their first 7" Valea Omului and sent me ... shame on me really.

I'd be down for another tournament, and a lot of this listening I do at work so even if I hate it, it will still be heard... mostly.

What if we did a super specific thing like pitting various moments against each other like from said moments thread, or something hyper specific like that.

Would be fun. Or a complete pain in the arse and enjoyed by none.

results: eh. I found Vemod to be tired boring fuzzy droney black metal. However, i do appreciate they are a newer band. NM and Burzum (and to an extent Dordeduh) were there for nostalgic purposes, thoughI also appreciate them.

discovery: I liked the Havukruunu, Thy Darkened Shade and Gris. Leprous was good and might tickle my fancy in those pinkish, Devin Townsend moments

Yes to more tourneys. Maybe do genre based tourneys, bands with extensive discographies (Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Graveland, Enslaved), or even country based. Could be fun.

Reactions: SonOfNun
Can we do a death metal tournament because I essentially still do not enjoy that genre and I trust this forum to fix that.

Reactions: NAD and J.
I was pretty surprised when Vemod picked up steam and started winning matches I thought they had no business winning. I'm with J. in not really understanding that one.

The stuff I thought was pretty good: Macabre Omen, Nokturnal Mortum, Ildra, Obsequiae, Dordeduh, and probably a couple others (I think Spectral Lore was in this tournament and is probably a grower).

Yes to more tournaments: specific subgenres, older decades, non-Metal (Country, Blues). We could vote to rank discographies like J. mentioned.

Whatever the tournament, it'd be great if it wasn't a 4-month conflict across 32 albums. I'd be more likely to enlist for the next war in the Middle East.

One album per person would be good. Or 3 albums but nominate 1 song from each, with the first round as a vote for which of each person's 3 gets to progress to the album stage.

And if you start the tourney, you finish it. None if this bs about life getting too busy, or you died or some other crap

Reactions: einride