Burden video?

Balls, I missed it! From the stills on RR my only two comments:
1: image 11 - isn't the rope too long?
2: I don't know if it's the same director but the vid looks like it's in the same vein as Porcelain Heart. Not too interesting.

We shall see...

Finally get to hear Would? though - excellent.

Did none of you actually buy the Watershed CD??? Put the disk in your computer, click on enter. Up comes the menu, click videos and then Burden.

Just saw it.

I, as well as many others I'm sure, really wish they wouldn't cut down these tracks...the loss of flow throughout the song is easily apparent. Aside from that I rather liked the video. Simple, melancholic, and some great shots of the band playing. Nothing extraordinary for sure, but I've seen far worse in my lifetime...like The Grand Conjuration.

man i really need to stop getting excited about Opeth music videos.

How come PT's visuals come out looking so great but every single Opeth video since TGC is "performance footage + random goth imagery"...and fuck, this one makes even less sense! you've got the band playing on a modern stage setup, complete with amps, mikes, lighting, etc...inexplicably cut with arbitrary "artistic" footage from a different time period! what the fuck!

Here are a few tips for whoever the fuck is doing marketing over at RR - number 1, stop editing the fucking songs. it completely misrepresents the band. This is something that's plagued bands with "marketable" singles for decades - people think "Oh, this song has some nice vocals, and that guitar solo is pretty cool", buy Watershed, and surprise! a fucking death metal band! This is NOT the way to build a long term fanbase. People buying the album after hearing this version of Burden are going to be in for quite a surprise - and I'm not saying they'll all hate the album and throw it out, but WHY would you portray Opeth as a guitar based classic rock-y sounding band when they simply AREN'T? 'cause that's what this video does.

Number 2, let's just completely cut performance footage from future Opeth videos entirely. Opeth's music is complex and arranged so well that it's like watching a film, with scene changes, new characters, etc...so make a fucking video that does this justice! Hell, if you can't craft a compelling storyline, at least give me some interesting design work like Tool does with their videos - which, by the way, use uncut tracks.

Someone at Roadrunner needs to take a fucking marketing class and realize that for this kind of product, a typical music video simply isn't going to cut it. Opeth has never and never will be a radio/TV act - RR is simply pouring money into an advertising format that isn't going to be effective for anything past generating a CD sale. For a band like Opeth, this lack of long-term thinking is a waste of time, effort, and money...completely inefficient, and completely wrong for this type of band. they ain't fucking Trivium - stop trying to sell em like they are.

man i really need to stop getting excited about Opeth music videos.

How come PT's visuals come out looking so great but every single Opeth video since TGC is "performance footage + random goth imagery"...and fuck, this one makes even less sense! you've got the band playing on a modern stage setup, complete with amps, mikes, lighting, etc...inexplicably cut with arbitrary "artistic" footage from a different time period! what the fuck!

Here are a few tips for whoever the fuck is doing marketing over at RR - number 1, stop editing the fucking songs. it completely misrepresents the band. This is something that's plagued bands with "marketable" singles for decades - people think "Oh, this song has some nice vocals, and that guitar solo is pretty cool", buy Watershed, and surprise! a fucking death metal band! This is NOT the way to build a long term fanbase. People buying the album after hearing this version of Burden are going to be in for quite a surprise - and I'm not saying they'll all hate the album and throw it out, but WHY would you portray Opeth as a guitar based classic rock-y sounding band when they simply AREN'T? 'cause that's what this video does.

Number 2, let's just completely cut performance footage from future Opeth videos entirely. Opeth's music is complex and arranged so well that it's like watching a film, with scene changes, new characters, etc...so make a fucking video that does this justice! Hell, if you can't craft a compelling storyline, at least give me some interesting design work like Tool does with their videos - which, by the way, use uncut tracks.

Someone at Roadrunner needs to take a fucking marketing class and realize that for this kind of product, a typical music video simply isn't going to cut it. Opeth has never and never will be a radio/TV act - RR is simply pouring money into an advertising format that isn't going to be effective for anything past generating a CD sale. For a band like Opeth, this lack of long-term thinking is a waste of time, effort, and money...completely inefficient, and completely wrong for this type of band. they ain't fucking Trivium - stop trying to sell em like they are.

tl;dr

:lol: I just think that the record lablel won't choose to give a good impression of Opeth over getting more money just because you think the video is bad ;)

That's what I was trying to say. Everyone was complaining because the video was taken off of youtube when it's been on the site all along.

Tool makes those kind of videos because they are interested in that themselves, they themselves arrange it ... If it wasn't for Roadrunner, Opeth wouldn't even be making videos. They simply do not seem to care about it, and it's just something they allowed the record company to do, as long as they can keep full artistic freedom on their records and probably also in return for other nice things (like bringing this out on a 7'' vinyl disc).
So, getting worked up about these videos is pointless. It's just a stupid gimmick.

:lol: I just think that the record lablel won't choose to give a good impression of Opeth over getting more money just because you think the video is bad ;)

Yeah....that's not what I'm saying. I mean, you didn't read it on account of the BIG WORDS, OW MY BRAIN but that's not what I mean.

They're actually getting LESS money. I could understand it if the video would actually result in LONG TERM continued sales, but portraying Opeth as something they're not and ignoring how to build a long term, sustainable fan base is fucking stupid. Sure, they'll sell some more CDs, which WILL generate some new fans...but they're just going about doing so in the most backwards, inefficient way possible.

this is no surprise given RR's track record - they don't give a fuck about a band's staying power. Just see how fast they shoved death metal to the side in the 1990s after flooding the market with Cannibal Corpse/Florida DM ripoffs, then immediately jumped on the nu-metal band wagon, and now they're back on the "real metal" thing. Roadrunner is all about a quick buck with most of their bands, and whoever is running that company needs to think about what they're doing.

oh wait, tl;dr

They simply do not seem to care about it, and it's just something they allowed the record company to do, as long as they can keep full artistic freedom on their records and probably also in return for other nice things (like bringing this out on a 7'' vinyl disc).

If that's the case (and I doubt it), fuck Opeth for putting their name on a shitty product. The 7" should've happened anyway...vinyl sales are through the roof, and especially for a band like Opeth (read: prog/metal fanbase) vinyl is a great way to make some good money.

"Hey Mike, if you let us release this shitty video with your name all over it, we'll let you let us make a shit ton of money!" good deal.

If that's the case (and I doubt it), fuck Opeth for putting their name on a shitty product. The 7" should've happened anyway...vinyl sales are through the roof, and especially for a band like Opeth (read: prog/metal fanbase) vinyl is a great way to make some good money.

"Hey Mike, if you let us release this shitty video with your name all over it, we'll let you let us make a shit ton of money!" good deal.

Well, from what I heard from them, they really don't care that much about these videos ... they just do what they are told to do, let them make a video and that's about it. Or do you actually think Mike is deciding or even supporting the editing of the songs? They consider it to be part of the marketing aspect, and that's completely up to RR to decide.

FYI, I agree with you on lousy decisions by RR, just saying that when the album is finished and put out to the people in its integrity like Opeth decides it to be, everything after that is just up to RR and they don't care too much about it.