Can I get a Fuck yeah for the new Enslaved??

I can hold my own with black metal knowledge. I'm not going to name drop but I know plenty of kvlt underground bands.

It was a bad choice of words. Let me rephrase that. Most black metal is mindless tremelo picking, and that's a statement I stand by. Most black metal sounds the same, a statement I stand by. Most black metal barely counts as music, a statement I stand by. Most black metal is abrasive noise, a statement I stand by.

I still love old Borknagar, code, Malsain, Fortid, countless others.

Your first statement:
"Mindless" indicates that they do this without thought, that it is not a deliberate choice in order to obtain a specific quality in their music. Which is false.

Your second statement:
This would indicate that you have heard "most" black metal bands. Which is false, I would wager. Or you really aren't listening close enough.

Your third statement:
This assumes that what constitutes "music" is objective. Which is false.

Of course it's all relative, Max. That goes without saying.

I know I don't know half the black metal bands you do, but please remember for a few years I did nothing but download and research underground black metal. I'm not a noob to the genre.

And yeah, the tremelo picking is usually mindless. Maybe not in early Emperor albums, but you get my drift. The genre is FILLED with clones making the same song over and over again, there is little originality left and that's why I stopped keeping up with it.

No less than in any other genre. Every genre is made up of a plethora of clones, a portion of good bands, and a portion of suck. And regardless of the originality, its not mindless. Like I said, it is a deliberate choice to obtain a certain quality of sound (the atmosphere, the drone, the abrasive quality which can frequently be a positive element in a metal band).

Best doom album period, fuck Candlemass.
dopethrone.jpg

buuut i did check out that funeral album and it just might be the best doom-metal ive heard. actual awesome melancholic melodies and epic heavy riffing instead of just slow boring metal like a lot of that doom/death/metal stuff. at least one good thing came out of that retarded bm bashing.

Electric Wizard...good...definitely has a real sick thick guitar sound but I'm not as ecstatic on them as other people are...maybe later on I'll see the light. Disembowlment. Shit yeah...like I used to say 1993 was a great innovative year for death metal and that album is one reason why.

Warning - Watching From A Distance...I'll check it out.