can you image Greg How playing solos in a Spiral Architect Album ?

well you're right, he is a good fusion/metal guitarist... but he's not aggressive enough for Spiral Architect's harsh unique taste of music. But there are way better fusion guitarists that Spiral Architect would be better off playing with starting with legends Frank Gambale & Alan Holdsworth... as for amazing metal guitarists, they'd be best off in my opinion with guest on guitars: James Murphy.... I think Ron Jarzombek or Michael Romeo would play some really aggressive and technical chops on Spiral Architect's next album if they were given the chance.

nicosanchez said:
Romeo? I don't think he fits in SA. Probably we should wait and see if Andreas do a few leads (of course, if Steinar isn't evil enough to smash Andreas' guitar so he can't do any leads LOL!)

well .... yeah maybe you're right... Romeo wouldn't really fit into Spiral Architect's style... but he is a very crafty guitarist and he can come up with some monumental solos :O) ... but James Murphy is definately a great choice in my opinion... and Mr. Howe is definately NOT !!! ...what do you think of Kaj Gornitzka as a guest on guitars for the next Spiral Architect album?? ((LOL)) ... he got his chance and blew it... besides, i think Andreas Jonsson will prove, on Spiral Architect's next album, to be a way better guitarist and musician than Mr. Gornitzka... just a gut feeling :)

Working with additional musicians is also a good resource and they could contribute in any aspect even in the emotional one... music is mood, spirit, ideas. Differences among musicians make the challenge greater. so far there is always a point of convergence.
i remember when Andy LaRocque joined "Death"... who would have thought of the legendary King Diamond's guitarist playing Death Metal? but he did and he did a great job there.

Jaen said:
do you have anything personal against Kaj? you seem a bit harsh in your comments.

No !! not at all... infact, i only have the utmost repect for Mr. Gornitzka as a musician. Let us not forget that he contributed alot on "Fountainhead, "Adaptibility" and "Cloud Constructor"... and these 3 songs are monumental all by themselves :) I was just being sarcastic about the situation that it would be cool if they'd get Kaj to play some guest solos on the next Spiral architect album considering that he played non on the first album :D ... besides, Mr. Gornitzka is already in another rising technical metal band, and he wouldn't care much about coming back as guest or for a permenant position... i wish him the best of luck on his "to be released" album with Twisted into Form :cool:

Dark Lord said:
well you're right, he is a good fusion/metal guitarist... but he's not aggressive enough for Spiral Architect's harsh unique taste of music.
Well, Greg Howe's playing may not be aggressive enough for you, but I think he is one of the most aggressive heavy fusion players out there. Some of his stuff is dangerously brilliant.

Now - I'd like to hear Neil's top 3 guitarists as well. :)

There's a huge difference between playing rhythm guitars on SA or playing rhythm on a straight forward metal band. The guitar lines that cannot be called soloing impress me more than solos.

I really don't see the point in getting "help" from someone that plays an instrument that we already handle perfectly well in the band. If we invite a guest musician, it will be someone who can play an instrument that we can't play good enough ourselves. You know, like a.. *cough*..drummer, guitarist or a bassist...

Oyvind H said:
I really don't see the point in getting "help" from someone that plays an instrument that we already handle perfectly well in the band. If we invite a guest musician, it will be someone who can play an instrument that we can't play good enough ourselves. You know, like a.. *cough*..drummer, guitarist or a bassist...

So True *cough*........:loco:

Oyvind H said:

hehe, your absolutely right... SA isn't those guys, that are the guys who look at you at the top of this page! (maybe a project idee? ;) )

Oyvind H said:

I do respect your decision but let's not forget that "Help" sometimes comes from the most unexpected ways ;)

Shadow X said:
I do respect your decision but let's not forget that "Help" sometimes comes from the most unexpected ways ;)

I would agree that guest appearances are often great fun, as in Sean Malone and his appearance on "Occam's Razor" etc. but as far as having someone come in and play a guest guitar solo..well I think in this case it's really a bit pointless as Steinar is an astonishing guitarist. With a band such as SA, where everyone is a virtuoso in their own right I personally think the appeal of "guest appearances" would best be kept to people who might be able to bring sometthing else to the project that the SA guys do NOT play at all. So, that would then be dependent on whether or not a particular composition called out for another instrument, such as stick, sax, brazilian percussion, vibes..hehe. Hopefully you see my point - I'm much more interested in hearing the SA guys do their thing than have the essence watered down by someone who's on the album and pointlessly covering an area that the guys could do just as well, if not better, on their own.

Neil K.