check my new album, vmod - a hundred cows mooin'

Oct 8, 2008
ahcmfront.jpg

ahcmback.jpg

vmod <- check it out here on bandcamp. i might put it on itunes/amazon and such later.

heavy, probably metal, groove-oriented, ambient. 36 minutes. i had to revisit some of the darker stages of my life to put this together. to keep it succinct, it's a timeline of how i grew up, and it's all about overcoming the darker stages in a person's life in the name of love and absolution.

i wrote and recorded everything alone, but the other guitarist from the old live vmod band co-wrote the guitars on 1 and 3 and wrote all of the guitars on 10.

any feedback is very much appreciated. i'm always very grateful for any support as well. if anyone has any questions or anything, i'll be fielding them over the weekend. and forever. heh

wow, this was awesome. I really enjoyed it. I love how minimalistic the production is yet it sounds so big. And the tone of the guitars and bass is incredible. I can imagine the live version of this wont have any problem competing with the album version.

hey, thanks man! i'm glad you noted simple and huge. that's always been my style, and i'm becoming much more in tune with that than ever before. unfortunately i don't believe there will ever be a live version of this. i've since moved away from the old band members to take on a separate career. my model for music is low-risk and low-investment. i can produce albums like this all year every year, but touring's impossible with an 8 to 5 job, not to mention finding a band is very difficult in the first place. maybe some day i'll get lucky though and have the chance to play out.

admittedly i'm very anxious to hear what this forum has to say in response to this. lots of experienced ears.

edit: thanks to the both of you, that is :D

This is some really good stuff!

Edit: Would love some details on the guitars and bass. Sounds massive. Definitely buying this.

brett, thanks man. i got a couple secrets about my tones, bass in particular, but most of it is the instruments themselves. i just play filthy riffs with filthy tones. just dirt, yknow? the bass is an american g&l l-2500. my guitars all have emgs, i used a gibson 6str v, a schecter c7 hellraiser, and a schecter v8 hellraiser. i'm willing to share how i do stuff but honestly i'm waiting for my site to be developed a little further so i can do it in a format i'm comfortable with, if that's cool?

Love the cover art and the overall sound of the album! Are the guitars and bass amp sim or real deal?

toseben, thanks man, they are indeed ampsims. the guitar uses mainly hybrit with a series of interchangeable boosts because i felt like i was hearing the most organic sounds from it. british stuff turns me on a lot. the settings change basically on a per-riff basis. evolves with the music. i dialed the knobs back and forth depending on how much space i wanted to fill with guitar. the bass didnt get an amp. it's just the bass plus whatever flavor boost at the time, eq, then compression.

Sounds awesome man! I like it, definitely my style.

Question on the naming... vmod = voltage mod for computer hardware overclocking... 100 cows mooin = diablo 2 cow level? Lol, just figured it was worth a shot.

HELL YES! you the man. glad you like it! the naming..

vmod - vitamins and minerals of death
a hundred cows mooin' - alex, the credited guest guitarist and vmod member, named it. during the third song, concede, there's an ULTRA sludgey riff that happens two times towards the end of the song. that riff has a legato/slide riff going on in the background. alex described that sound to be like a hundred cows mooin' at the same time. i kept it because it was mildly amusing and catchy. and truthful. heh.

bumpin! please give my insanely heavy concept album a listen. if you haven't heard it, i don't think you'll expect to hear what you'll hear. i don't talk much about my own music, but i really don't feel like there is much like this out there. it's very groove-oriented and ambient. the riffs are tall, slow, and heavy. but still very emotional. the first 3 songs are kind of slow and are what most people hear, but it feels like most people are happiest with the stretch of tracks 4-6 and beyond now that it's been out for a little while. the album really picks up for most people about there.

Dayummm...that plugin is EXPENSIVE! I'm really struggling to find a reverb that works well for distorted guitars, but you definitely pulled it off well.

Don't really have an up-to-date site for the band atm. Working on a full-length right now and as soon as that's done, will get something up and running.

yeah, it's costly, but i got the elite bundle. SO thrilled with it. there's a lot of plugin on this album, and most of it is sonnox. it's perfect for the sounds i've always wanted. if you have an ilok, you can download the demo for free and try it for i think 30 days. it's unfortunate that i don't get access to that mp3 codec plugin they just released :(

post it up when you do get your album done!