Chicago Powerfest 07 Report!

EricT

Don't you ever get...
Aug 25, 2005
Lost In Necropolis
Day 1:

I decide "Sleep Is Wrong" and stay the entire plane ride to Chicago. Get to the meeting spot and meet up with Will, Laura, and Russell. After a long walk, and then getting aquainted with Chicago traffic, we arrive at the hotel and relaxe.

Went across the street and ran in Fred (Larf), and his girlfriend (who's name escapes me!) which we talked for a bit. Ended up in Denny's, I snorted a line of black pepper... There is a video.

We go back to the hotel and meet up with Division Mike (eeolsismamamaian) and his bassist (Who I also forgot his name)... conversation began.

I guess we went down to the venue next. Waited, and got in. Small crowd at first, but it grew as the night went on. Reviews of bands in order:

Shatter Messiah - Meh. The songs ended up sounding the same after a while, and the vocalist got really annoying.

Suspyre - I thought I was listening to a Symphony X b-sides album.

Benedictum - They started off as a meh, but there was a changing point, specifically their cover of Heaven and Hell. After the cover they just got fucking amazing. Plus the big tittied front-lady took off her leather coat, exposing a large chunk of her TITS.

Solitude Aeturnus - AMAZING... Seriously. Words cannot describe the feeling I felt watching this. Easily one of my favorite sets ever.

Lethal - Will, Laura, and Russell left like bitches. They were amusing, good ol 80's power metal. The vocalist couldn't hit the notes he used to, though. Not something worthy of headlining a night of a fest, but woulda done nice at a mid-slot.

Then I came back to a total mess in the hotel room. apparently, in the hour and a half I was watching lethal, Will made some of those fascinating videos which he posted earlier. Room smelled bad. But it was only a bit of the smell in which was to come.

We'll leave this kinda short... I began drinking and various activities. Etc. I also got to meet Kelly Shaefer! And I got to smoke with him! It shall go down as one of my best life moments!

Day 2

I woke up clueless as to how the night ended last night, when my roomies tell me to look in the bathroom.

White Castle's pickles do not digest well, it seems...

Apparently at about 5am, Laura found me on the bathroom floor covered in vomit and piss. They can go into more detail about this moment, as I am completely unaware of it happening.

So anyway, eventually Larf came to our room... somehow he ended up getting the great idea to take my half empty beer cans and pour them into the coffee maker. There are 2 videos of what this spawned... They shall be uploaded, I'm sure.

Went down to the venue after a couple hours of hotel lounging AKA Hotel trashing.

Short band reviews:

Thurisaz - I came expecting good from them, but I got a-fucking-mazing. Seriously, check them out. HOLY SHIT!

Novembers Doom - First time seeing them, after being a long time listener. Very tight set. The way they do vocal harmonies live gets me shivering. The new songs are fucking AWESOME in a live enviroment.

Saturnus - The suprise of the fest. I didn't know what to expect from their live show... but WOW. Very different from the rest of the bands, as they're more of a Doom Metal, with some very Melodic moments. I was extremely impressed.

Martyr - My god. These motherfuckers CAN play. Never seen such insanity in any other band.

Atheist - I don't know what to say. They played every song I wanted to hear, the new members were very proficient, and kelly's voice was as strong as ever. It was amazing to see live.

Got back to the hotel... the party started again. I drank. Laura got to join an exclusive club that I started the day before, haha.

Somehow I eventually ended up in a room with Rob Lowe. Nevermore came onto the shuffle of the ipod in the room, and he just went off about how they were one of the best bands on earth, etc. I was just like "ZOMG!". Somehow I ended up leading him back to our room where Will, Laura, and Russell were "sleeping"... As soon as Will heard the texan accent he woke the fuck up.

I ejaculated on EVERYTHING. If any of the 3 want to say more about that time, they may go ahead. I'm way to out of it (and kinda in disbelief still) to type anything up.

Then we had to leave. This is where things got SHITTY.

We went to the metra station, and... the first train, or atleast what were told by the internet was the first train, didn't show up. Apparently, the chicago transit websites don't know weekends from weekdays.

Fell asleep, Will woke me up, we got on a train, fell asleep again.

We transfered to another train, where I fell asleep for a 3rd time.

Got to the airport, wandered and got lost... Couldn't find ticketing for the certain airlines, etc.. At some point during this I ended up getting split from Will and Laura and didn't see them again. So I didn't exactly say "see ya" or anything.

I hope they're doing fine right now! I know they ended up in a shit situation... damn.

Well, I haven't gotten a call yet, so... I'm sure he's too scared of our destructive fury to call!

Next year if we go and its at the pearl room again, its going in someone elses name, cause I sure I am banned from the super 8!

Sounds like good times. I can't believe Lethal wasn't good and Mallicoat's voice is shot. !?

Glad you guys all had fun.

By all means they were not bad, but not what was expected from a headliner, if ya know what I mean. The venue was empty by the time they came on, it was just me and a buncha old people, heh.

Mallicoat was drunker than hell. His voice was "wobbly"... once again, not bad, but just not as good as I was hoping for.

And they followed Solitude, which is like, damnation for a band.

Everyone kept saying how great Martyr were. I even saw someone say they blew away Atheist (which I don't believe though).

I didn't even know Lethal were playing (or were even around for that matter)

i havent heard from will since about 4:30, at that point he said he had 9 people in front of him waiting for other people to not show up for flights to philly, otherwise he's stuck there for a while.

on the 2nd day, the singer from lethal was apparently really wasted because he kept squeezing between us in the front row to touch the hands of Saturnus's singer and tell him things. creepy fucker.

Yeah, I heard I missed Lethal's singer in sport coat and skivvies. Well, maybe "missed" is the wrong word...

Nice meeting you, Eric. Ron (RonkFish on the rare occasions he leaves our forum) was still there on Saturday, but he's a lot less, uh, outgoing than I am.