Chicago Powerfest 2008 dates announced

booB

Señor Member
Mar 25, 2003
Cleveland, OH USA
C-Lo on the CPF forum said:
The 6th edition of Chicago Powerfest will take place May 2nd & 3rd at the Pearl Room in Mokena, IL.

Festival organizers, CRJ Productions, commented: "We've been hard at work since the last fest trying to put together an amazing package of bands that cross a variety of metal genres so we can bring you the ultimate weekend of powerful metal! Things are shaping up quite nicely and we're looking forward to making our first announcement regarding confirmed bands (10-14 in total) in the coming weeks.”

Tickets will be available for individual days as well as two-day passes and the on-sale date will be announced once all bands are confirmed. Additionally, CRJ Productions is introducing a fan sponsorship/VIP program this year that will give fans a higher level of participation in the festival and a chance to take advantage of some pretty cool perks.

Please check www.chicagopowerfest.com for more details regarding the sponsorship program. Also, anyone interested in vendor/exhibitor opportunities, please contact us via the website as well.

I also want to mention that I realize the no in/out policy at the Pearl Room is a problem for many here who would otherwise be interested in attending. I don't know whether this is something that will change people's minds or not... but sponsorship/VIP packages for CPF start at $250 this year (for general fest sponsors), and all sponsors get in/out privs, as well as VIP parking at the event (a cool perk for those of you who are driving to the show and/or lodging too far away to walk), in addition to several other sponsorship perks.

Band sponsorships start at $500 and have even more perks than the $250 sponsorships. Bids are currently being accepted, and will continue to be accepted after the lineup announcements begin, if I understand correctly -- if there are any specific bands you'd like to help the guys bring over, I'd recommend sending in your bid sooner rather than later. Some of the most talked-about bands at the forum have been Candlemass, Testament, King Diamond, and Turisas (these are bands you likely will never see at ProgPower); the more money they can raise for a certain band, the better the chances are that they can get that band.

For the record, The Pearl Room is a great venue, and the Mokena area is a much nicer area for a fest like this than Chicago Heights was, and the venue is much larger and more accomodating to a fest experience than J.J. Kelley's was. The quality of this fest is going up, and, depending on who headlines this year, I think this may be the year that CPF really finally catches on.

Best of luck to you with this! I was at the show a few years ago, with Tad Morose and Morgana LeFay, and had a BLAST! JJ Kelley's may be small, but it is an awesome venue to see a band up close and personal at. (Example: sitting on the floor stage left, next to the partly open door, all through ProgPower I. Watching the pure musicianship that close is an incredible experience.)

I was so disappointed in the situation last year (and I know much of it beyond promotor control) but I am hopeful that this year the lineup is back up to par. Chicago is always a load of fun! Maybe I should be hitting THEM up to bring the Pretty Maids over? :)

I was so disappointed in the situation last year (and I know much of it beyond promotor control) but I am hopeful that this year the lineup is back up to par. Chicago is always a load of fun! Maybe I should be hitting THEM up to bring the Pretty Maids over? :)

Why don't you just go over to Germany to see Pretty Maids instead of pestering the US promoters to dish out roughly $5,000+ of their own cash to bring the band to the states? Wouldn't it be cheaper to pay for airfare and lodging for one person rather than five? ;)

I am really looking forward to what they have in store of us. I was disaapointed with last years lineup, but there was just too many Death bands I didnt like.

I am really looking forward to what they have in store of us. I was disaapointed with last years lineup, but there was just too many Death bands I didnt like.
Same here. I was there for the one with Tad Morose/Morgana Lefay and then again for Nocturnal Rites. Had a GREAT time at both, but last years lineup was just too hard core for me. Will be interesting to see what how this year's lineup will be.

I've never been to this fest, but would go in a heartbeat in they put together a quality roster (and assuming it doesn't conflict with my school schedule).

Zod

How'd your tests end up going? Very cool your professors allowed that.

My gf is from Chicago, and would love an excuse like this to go visit. Didn't go last year because couldn't justify it for the lineup, but anxiously awaiting to see what comes together.

I also want to mention that I realize the no in/out policy at the Pearl Room is a problem for many here who would otherwise be interested in attending. I don't know whether this is something that will change people's minds or not... but sponsorship/VIP packages for CPF start at $250 this year (for general fest sponsors), and all sponsors get in/out privs, as well as VIP parking at the event (a cool perk for those of you who are driving to the show and/or lodging too far away to walk), in addition to several other sponsorship perks.

For the record, The Pearl Room is a great venue, and the Mokena area is a much nicer area for a fest like this than Chicago Heights was, and the venue is much larger and more accomodating to a fest experience than J.J. Kelley's was. The quality of this fest is going up, and, depending on who headlines this year, I think this may be the year that CPF really finally catches on.

The no in/out policy is a bad one, I feel. Has there been an explanation as to why this cannot be changed? With plenty of places to eat within walking distance it's a real shame. I'm not sure the high price of sponsorship is worth it to obtain that privilege. Also, the VIP parking is almost irrelevant considering this facility has more than enough 'free' parking available, hell it's all free parking everywhere.

Regarding The Pearl Room being a great venue... I have to disagree. It's ok, but has some issues that need to be addressed before I consider it a premier or great venue. For starters, I'd recommend getting a curtain. Might not seem like a big deal to many, but after seeing tons of shows here it gets a little silly, especially for a festival. Also, there's nowhere to go if you don't wanna hear the band on stage. There is no lobby area or anyplace to take a breather except the bathrooms. Once again, it may not seem like a big deal but with 10-14 bands I'd like a chance to recharge my battery and whatnot. The smoke gets pretty bad in there, and with the no in/out policy you have no where to go to escape. There is an extremely large area upstairs, but I've never seen it open and it could definitely provide some much needed space for people to simply move around, especially if it gets packed in there.

So... about eight to nine hours in a packed house full of smoke, with no in/out privilages, and nowhere to take a break from bands you don't like? If that going to be the case then it sounds like a deal breaker for me regardless of the line up.

Why don't you just go over to Germany to see Pretty Maids instead of pestering the US promoters to dish out roughly $5,000+ of their own cash to bring the band to the states? Wouldn't it be cheaper to pay for airfare and lodging for one person rather than five? ;)

"Pestering" is such a harsh word. I'd go with "suggesting vociferously". I haven't made it to Europe at all yet but it's on the agenda. In the meantime, if people are floating their own money to bring bands over, why not suggest a very viable act? Seems like the thing to do! :)

"Pestering" is such a harsh word. I'd go with "suggesting vociferously". I haven't made it to Europe at all yet but it's on the agenda. In the meantime, if people are floating their own money to bring bands over, why not suggest a very viable act? Seems like the thing to do! :)

I can tell you right now....they wont have Pretty Maids play. they have been going towards a heavier side when it comes to booking bands.

I do not mean to be a dork... but, are you treading on Glenns turf? Especially asking for money on his board. Since your forum is hosted on the same main forum.

If they get a one off Turisas set, I'll go. Though they really should allow in & out privileges for a show that lasts so much of the day. With PP, at least you have the room to roam around away from the stage. Not having that and not being able to go outside is a bit of a detractor and the $250 price tag for that privilege is a bit much when traveling from out of town. I'd much rather save that money in hopes of sponsoring a band at a future PP. I figure if I start putting a few hundred aside each year, I can have enough money for an Ayreon sponsership in about 100 years. It can be just like the Beastie Boys concert in Futurama.

If they get a one off Turisas set, I'll go. Though they really should allow in & out privileges for a show that lasts so much of the day. With PP, at least you have the room to roam around away from the stage. Not having that and not being able to go outside is a bit of a detractor and the $250 price tag for that privilege is a bit much when traveling from out of town. I'd much rather save that money in hopes of sponsoring a band at a future PP. I figure if I start putting a few hundred aside each year, I can have enough money for an Ayreon sponsership in about 100 years. It can be just like the Beastie Boys concert in Futurama.

come over to the Powerfest board and help me push in getting Turisas my freind.