Chicago Powerfest 2008 dates announced

I wish I would have gone to the first Powerfest. Last year I don't think I missed much.
Anyway, I would go if the line up is very good of course. I went to Minnesota to see a bunch of thrash bands I'll go to Chicago for a Powerfest!!!! The only thing I didn't like about MM and this, is selling the tickets per day. I mean, I am not a promoter.. and I'm not criticizing, just curious.. because at one festival I went, one day was pretty much dead.. and the other a little more people showed because it was more "old school thrash bands".
It at least makes the people want to come since they have the tickets, and drink beer.. right? Hang out? Even if they don't like the bands they have entrance for both days so they probably feel obligated to show. Or I'm wrong?

thrash fest? which!?

The no in/out policy is a bad one, I feel. Has there been an explanation as to why this cannot be changed?

If I remember correctly, Chris's explanation last year was that the venue has some sort of an agreement with local law enforcement. No shows at the Pearl Room are ever allowed in/out privs. (I'm assuming that sponsors are allowed back in with their VIP passes because they're considered "staff".) I know Chris and Rob tried to pull some strings last year, to no avail. Whatever the reason, the guys apparently believe (and I agree) that the lack of in/outs is a small price to pay for having the show in a quality venue and in a decent part of town. Plus, last year the show only went for something like 5 hours each night, including change-overs... that's not too terribly long. I'm not sure how the possible inclusion of more bands this year will affect things.

Regardless, I certainly wasn't suggesting that people would fork over a sponsorship fee just to have in/out privs, or a VIP parking space... I was mostly addressing those comments to people who might be potentially interested in attending/sponsoring anyway, so they would know what to look forward to.

Regarding The Pearl Room being a great venue... I have to disagree. It's ok, but has some issues that need to be addressed before I consider it a premier or great venue. For starters, I'd recommend getting a curtain. Might not seem like a big deal to many, but after seeing tons of shows here it gets a little silly, especially for a festival.

Are you referring to a stage curtain? err... you're in Chicago, right? Unless things have changed in 4 years, there aren't any metal venues in Chicagoland that use a curtain... and I personally don't see where it has anything to do with the quality of a show.

Keep in mind that VERY few metal-friendly venues are as awesome as Center Stage, and have so many bells and whistles -- in fact, I've never seen one ANYWHERE. Glenn has a pretty sweet setup in Atlanta; there's really nowhere comparable to that around Chicago.

Also, there's nowhere to go if you don't wanna hear the band on stage. There is no lobby area or anyplace to take a breather except the bathrooms.

There IS a lobby area in the Pearl Room (albeit not a very big one), and I was surprised at how quiet it actually is in there during a band's set. Again, it's no Center Stage, but even there, the music blares in the lobby whenever someone opens the door. I've almost hit my head on the ceiling a few times. :lol:

There is an extremely large area upstairs, but I've never seen it open and it could definitely provide some much needed space for people to simply move around, especially if it gets packed in there.

Apparently they only open the balcony if enough tickets get sold. I don't know how many "enough" is, though. :) Apparently, also, there are places to go upstairs where you can also get away from the music.

Translation: "More boring" :saint:

That depends on your perspective. :) I personally love the mix of more "extreme" bands with the more melodic ones. I tend to get bored with lineups that are just one or the other, because there's not as much variety. CPF consistently comes up with my favorite band lineups, and they always seem to bring in bands that I've long wanted to see but never previously had the chance.

I do not mean to be a dork... but, are you treading on Glenns turf? Especially asking for money on his board. Since your forum is hosted on the same main forum.

Posting info about other fests has historically been okay with Glenn, as long as it's kept to one or two threads and not incessantly spammed. And I wasn't asking for money... besides the fact that it's not my fest, I was simply addressing a few of the concerns from previous years' Chicago Powerfests, and letting people know that the promoters are doing sponsorships this year.

I really wanted to see Saturnus :erk: .. I thought a lot of people were excited about this band when they were announced :err:

Actually people were excited about Saturnus but live they were really really boring. We had a big discussion on the Powerfest board about internet talk and reality....lots of people say one thing online and another in person. At the Alehorn fest a few years back Manilla Road and Slough Feg played....tons of interent talk....about 40 people actually showed up. Before last years Powerfest tons of people were talking about coming...in reality..not many came.

Actually people were excited about Saturnus but live they were really really boring. We had a big discussion on the Powerfest board about internet talk and reality....lots of people say one thing online and another in person. At the Alehorn fest a few years back Manilla Road and Slough Feg played....tons of interent talk....about 40 people actually showed up. Before last years Powerfest tons of people were talking about coming...in reality..not many came.

Yeah too bad about that, but I'm glad to see that enough people came out this year so we can have a 2008 edition! With my move to Texas, finding out my boss was a crook, and working on Texas Madfest I wasn't able to make it out to Chicago Powerfest this year. I have some making up to do, so I'll make a giant effort to be there next year regardless of the line-up to support the CRJ boys!! If only ya'll knew how much work and money went into these things.... Let's hear it for the Powerfest boys for keeping their nose to the grind and focusing on their vision! :kickass:

This is very true. And I'm guilty of it. I get excited about roster announcements ands bands I could potentially see. I was really hoping to go last year as I love Athiest, Novembers Doom, and a few others on the roster. Unfortunately, a few factors led me to be unable to go.

But that's why promoters can't just go on Internet hype to see how well things will go. There are people who are very excited about certain bands and will tell everybody they should go, but don't turn up. Then there are people who are quiet about certain bands that will turn up.

But this year I'm trying to plan to set aside money to travel to some fest or another.

Posting info about other fests has historically been okay with Glenn, as long as it's kept to one or two threads and not incessantly spammed. And I wasn't asking for money... besides the fact that it's not my fest, I was simply addressing a few of the concerns from previous years' Chicago Powerfests, and letting people know that the promoters are doing sponsorships this year.

I know I did that as well with my other shows. But the sponsorship ideas should be kept on their board and not this one.

I know I did that as well with my other shows. But the sponsorship ideas should be kept on their board and not this one.

I agree. However, I don't mind it this one time as I do consider Chris and Rob friends and hope they succeed. Plus, they weren't the ones that actually posted it here. It was Boob trying to do a good thing and get word of mouth out for them.

For the future, I would ask that everyone that posts bands announcements do as I had Madfest do and consolidate them to one thread as a courtesy to me.

There IS a lobby area in the Pearl Room (albeit not a very big one), and I was surprised at how quiet it actually is in there during a band's set. Again, it's no Center Stage, but even there, the music blares in the lobby whenever someone opens the door. I've almost hit my head on the ceiling a few times. :lol:

Are you talking about the area where they have the shirts? I don't think it's very quiet at all there when the bands are playing. That is one thing that I did like about the JJKelley's setup, the vendor room was definitely quiet enough to have a conversation. It is very difficult to have a conversation at the Pearl Room when a band is playing. The little riser section behind the bar is also pretty loud, if that is the lobby area you are thinking of.

I agree. However, I don't mind it this one time as I do consider Chris and Rob friends and hope they succeed. Plus, they weren't the ones that actually posted it here. It was Boob trying to do a good thing and get word of mouth out for them.

For the future, I would ask that everyone that posts bands announcements do as I had Madfest do and consolidate them to one thread as a courtesy to me.

Ok. Sorry Glenn. I do not mean to step on your toes.