Chicago Powerfest 2008 dates announced

Are you passing that midway airport by chance? If you are, If I can make the ends meet, and if ur cool with it ill throw some $ at ya for gas money to the venue
Cool .. it sounds like some people may be available to help you out. I'll be coming from central illinois in a NE fashion, and will hit Mokena well before Midway. If it was on the way or remotely close I'd sure help you out, but it looks like a good long haul past Mokena for me.

Good luck ... several people will be flying in .. I'm sure you'll be able to hook up with someone.

Britt

Congrats to Rob & Chris. They have definitely earned it after working their ass off over the years to put Powerfest on the map.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget John Coyne. He teamed. up with them for 2005 and got Tad Morose And Morgana Lefay. He is still co promoter to this day.

Cool .. it sounds like some people may be available to help you out. I'll be coming from central illinois in a NE fashion, and will hit Mokena well before Midway. If it was on the way or remotely close I'd sure help you out, but it looks like a good long haul past Mokena for me.

Good luck ... several people will be flying in .. I'm sure you'll be able to hook up with someone.

Britt

No problem dude, hopefully I can get lucky haha. I really don't want to pay a taxi haha. hopefully see ya there :kickass:

Congrats to Rob & Chris. They have definitely earned it after working their ass off over the years to put Powerfest on the map.

Don't forget John Coyne. He teamed. up with them for 2005 and got Tad Morose And Morgana Lefay. He is still co promoter to this day.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, He's the J in CRJ.

He doesn't post around these parts though..

Last bands confirmed, must say they all suck.

A LIFE ONCE LOST, EPICUREAN, ION VEIN and ARISE AND RUIN COMPLETE LINEUP

A LIFE ONCE LOST, EPICUREAN, ION VEIN & ARISE AND RUIN are the final bands to be confirmed for CHICAGO POWERFEST 2008, set to take place May 1-3 at The Pearl Room in Mokena, IL. Tickets for the event are currently on sale at all Ticketmaster locations and The Pearl Room box office. Single day tickets, as well as specially priced two and three day options are also available.

ALOL will be playing in support of their new album, "Iron Gag" (Ferret Music). EPICUREAN will be playing in support of their upcoming new album, "A Consequence of Design", to be released March 4th (Metal Blade). ION VEIN will be debuting their new singer, Allen James, as well as tracks from their upcoming new album, as yet untitled. ARISE AND RUIN will be also be playing in support of their new album, "The Final Dawn" (Victory Records).

Finalized POWERFEST Lineup:

Thursday, May 1 (kick-off show with Paganfest tour)

ENSIFERUM
TURISAS
TÝR
ELUVEITIE

Friday, May 2

ICED EARTH
A LIFE ONCE LOST
EPICUREAN
ION VEIN
ARISE AND RUIN

Saturday, May 3

TESTAMENT
DARKANE
SUIDAKRA
THE AUTUMN OFFERING
TWELFTH GATE
CHAOSWAVE

As previously announced, Powerfest promoters, CRJ Productions, have introduced an official fan Sponsorship/VIP program this year that will give fans a higher level of participation in the fest and a chance to take advantage of some cool privileges. A limited number of sponsorship packages still remain.

For more details regarding the sponsorship program or the fest itself, please visit www.ChicagoPowerfest.com or www.myspace.com/chicagopowerfest

I'm not gonna lie. Powerfest this year > ProgPower USA this year. HOWEVER because of my schedule my money will go to ProgPower USA ;).

I've been dying to go to Chicago, and Powerfest would be such an ideal excuse to make that happen. But the line-up always fails to interest me. With the exception of Iced Earth and Ion Vein, there's not another band I'd cross the street to see. And since I'm going to see Iced Earth two or three times this year, I'm going to pass on Powerfest. That said, I wish the promoters well.

Zod

Too much metalcore.

There's only two metalcore bands on the bill and honestly Iced Earth, Testament, Suidakra, Darkane, and Paganfest very much make up for it. And yeah, that lineup alone slays ProgPower. I'm not saying ProgPower this year is bad (otherwise I wouldn't go... lol), but I do think Powerfest put together an amazing bill.

I've been dying to go to Chicago, and Powerfest would be such an ideal excuse to make that happen. But the line-up always fails to interest me. With the exception of Iced Earth and Ion Vein, there's not another band I'd cross the street to see. And since I'm going to see Iced Earth two or three times this year, I'm going to pass on Powerfest. That said, I wish the promoters well.

Zod
I want to see Paganfest on Thursday, only Iced Earth on Saturday (first Barlow returns appearance), and I have mild interest in Suidakra, and Testament. Needless to say if I didn't live two hours away from the venue I would probably skip the Friday and Saturday night portion, and just go see Paganfest that Thursday. I think they will do well with ticket sales, but as for a total lineup I think it's mediocre at best.

Britt

I also want to mention that I realize the no in/out policy at the Pearl Room is a problem for many here who would otherwise be interested in attending. I don't know whether this is something that will change people's minds or not... but sponsorship/VIP packages for CPF start at $250 this year (for general fest sponsors), and all sponsors get in/out privs, as well as VIP parking at the event (a cool perk for those of you who are driving to the show and/or lodging too far away to walk), in addition to several other sponsorship perks.

Band sponsorships start at $500 and have even more perks than the $250 sponsorships. Bids are currently being accepted, and will continue to be accepted after the lineup announcements begin, if I understand correctly -- if there are any specific bands you'd like to help the guys bring over, I'd recommend sending in your bid sooner rather than later. Some of the most talked-about bands at the forum have been Candlemass, Testament, King Diamond, and Turisas (these are bands you likely will never see at ProgPower); the more money they can raise for a certain band, the better the chances are that they can get that band.

For the record, The Pearl Room is a great venue, and the Mokena area is a much nicer area for a fest like this than Chicago Heights was, and the venue is much larger and more accomodating to a fest experience than J.J. Kelley's was. The quality of this fest is going up, and, depending on who headlines this year, I think this may be the year that CPF really finally catches on.

This is an interesting dilemma for me every year. On the one hand, I am rather committed to going to ProgPower... partially because Glenn's taste in bands has every year, without fail, been very close to my own, and also at this point simply because I've been going since 2001, and like the environment, experience, and the ability to meet a bunch of people I know who are there every year. But for the last 3 - 4 years, Powerfest has been putting together some very good lineups, and I've heard good reports from people who went... enough so that I would almost certainly have gone the last 2 years if I lived in the area. However, spending the time and money to travel to multiple festivals per year can become prohibitively expensive, making geographical proximity more important. For example, there is a good chance I might go to the Nightmare Metal fest this year, despite my relative lack of familiarity with the bands, simply because the venue is so close to where I now live that I wouldn't even need to get a hotel. This combined with a couple other trips I have to take this year, limit my prospects for being able to make it to Powerfest, much as I would like to.

No Testament love?
Nope. It's a solid get, for the Powerfest guys, but I've never been a fan of Testament.

There's only two metalcore bands on the bill and honestly Iced Earth, Testament, Suidakra, Darkane, and Paganfest very much make up for it. And yeah, that lineup alone slays ProgPower. I'm not saying ProgPower this year is bad (otherwise I wouldn't go... lol), but I do think Powerfest put together an amazing bill.
Well, you're adding in Paganfest. Paganfest is not actually part of Powerfest, it just so happens to be town that same week. And if you feel the need to to include Paganfest into the equation, than you at least need to wait and see who plays the PP Pre-Party.

Zod

Nope. It's a solid get, for the Powerfest guys, but I've never been a fan of Testament.

Well, you're adding in Paganfest. Paganfest is not actually part of Powerfest, it just so happens to be town that same week. And if you feel the need to to include Paganfest into the equation, than you at least need to wait and see who plays the PP Pre-Party.

Zod

Um it definitely is a part of Powerfest. It's the pre-party or whatever. It's not like it's a seperate show from the fest.

Um it definitely is a part of Powerfest. It's the pre-party or whatever. It's not like it's a seperate show from the fest.

Thats exactly what it is. It just happens to be in town on that day and they are using it as cross-promotion. The promoters were already going to have Turisas play, but then they just decided to get the whole package.

Paganfest is under the Powerfest banner this year, and is being billed as the Powerfest pre-party, but Chris, Rob, and John didn't put that tour together or anything. I think they just basically made a win/win agreement with the Paganfest Promoters to work together on that day in hopes of come cross appeal, and higher attendance. If that is what you are saying than I agree.

Britt